Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

What does Bassong have to do to convince AN?

Only those within the club will know what is going on behind the scenes but the restoration of Bassong to the team suggests there must be serious issues surrounding Klose. We all saw that Klose''s last few outings fell a long way short of what we had come to expect from him but to replace him with a guy who guarantees chaos whenever he plays cannot possibly be the answer.

Both Barnsley''s goals today were attributed to Bassong by Radio Norfolk although I think that a little harsh as far as the second is concerned. He simply blocked a fast cross and it happened to fall to a guy who subsequently scored. If I were pointing the finger for the second, it would be at our player who was closing down the goalscorer. This player, at the moment he needed to stand big and tall, actually ducked and turned his back. Who was it?

Klose has defiantly flattered to deceive this season but if anyone thinks Ryan Bennett or Bassong are better than him then they are probably mental.

You ask any Norwich fan to name out best back 5 (1 keeper and 4 defenders) and I bet I would know what combination would come out on top. And it certainly isn''t one that feature today.

MK I''ll go with Ruddy, Pinto, Martin, Klose & Olsson! Would that be yours too?

The ones playing are always the worst. And the ones left out always the best. Shuffle them however you like and this still happens. Maybe they are all shat or maybe they rent the real problem.

I don''t believe your point about the ones who ain''t playing are the best etc. It''s quite clear who are our beat players in those positions.

Who''s a better keeper than Ruddy ?

Who''s are best right back and left back ?

What''s are best centre half pairing ?

Well Chris Woods, Bowen, Drury, Bruce and Watson for me!

At the time even as they are now their better than we have! :-)

The best centre back pairing is Martin and Bassong.

Sometimes.

Bennett and Klose.

Other times.

Martin and Klose.

Other times.

Constantly shuffling does nobody any favours. Last week was a clean sheet so they picked themselves. Next week?

We need to choose two and stick with them.

Actually, Bassong last week was OK and warranted his place today, but we all know he''s prone to what is known as a Bassongism, a daft mistake leading to the opening goal.....

A good manager would have seen this coming and dropped him for Klose!

We''ve largely had the same defence for the last three or four seasons and all combinations seem to concede too many goals.

Regardless of the manager, we seem to struggle to keep a clean sheet.

No. In my mind there''s nothing much between them and the problem is defending as a team from the front. They all make mistakes.

The point I was making was that they all look better out of the team or as bad in the team. Which is why I don''t think they are the problem. In my opinion it would help if we had a best pair and stuck with them.

Despite Klose''s poor spell in his most recent outings, his omission (and Bassong''s inclusion) defy all logic for me. Likewise, calls for Captain Calamity. Any centre-back pairing that includes either of Martin or Bassong is a disaster waiting to happen.

Since my OP, I''ve now seen the Channel 5 clips of the goals today. The player closing down the scorer of Barnsley''s second looks like Dorrans. Instead of standing big in order to block the attempt, he turns his back and appears to be dodging the flak. Total disgrace.

Indy wrote the following post at 10/12/2016 8:43 PM:

You''ve got two left backs there Indy 😬 Culverhouse for Bowen?

[quote user="GPB"]Indy wrote the following post at 10/12/2016 8:43 PM:

You''ve got two left backs there Indy 😬 Culverhouse for Bowen?[/quote]

Yeh I know but their both in my ultimate back four! Good job I''m not the manager :-)

The defenders at the club are what they are. The real issue is that was common knowledge before the start of the season and the club didn''t do anything to resolve it and by God are we paying now. It surely wasn''t that difficult to find a no nonsense centre back even if he was a little limited as a footballer. I also don''t think its coincidence that we wobble when Dorrans is in the team. Yes he''s a classy footballer but he''s powder puff defensively.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]We''ve largely had the same defence for the last three or four seasons and all combinations seem to concede too many goals.

Regardless of the manager, we seem to struggle to keep a clean sheet.[/quote]

They are not good enough.

None of our defenders would start at top 6 championship sides yet we persevere.

The problem is that the club was so obsessed in the summer with signing a new striker that they seem to have forgotten how poor (and porous) our defence was - or, worse still, persuaded themselves it was good enough for the Championship.

The truth is, whichever way AN shuffles his very limited pack, he just doesn''t have 4 decent back 4 players at his disposal. Pinto, Klose and Olsson should be automatics, but after that....? Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Whittaker are all too old, slow and unreliable and/or 2nd fiddlers to the aforementioned - and by some margin.

And don''t tell me Bennett''s still a young man growing into the job...... he''s been around for quite a while and just isn''t cutting the mustard. Also, just like Bassong, he switches off too easily. The number of times one or both are caught out with their backs turned by a quick throw in or free quick are without number - and they don''t exactly have the speed to make amends when playing catch up.

Trouble is, if speculative news reports are to be believed (ha,ha), we seem to be in the hunt for more midfielders and strikers next month (so long as we can ship some out first - but who would many of our crew?) Am not convinced the penny has dropped with a loud PLOP inside Carrow Rd where we are weakest. It''s not just about training and tactics. It''s also about competence and desire. Maybe we can blame AN for not getting his recruitment priorities right, but I don''t envy him when he reaches for pencil to scribble down on the team sheet the back 4 for the next game - whoever we''re playing.

Not sure why bassong has been singled out as ALL of the CBs have been poor for this season.

The first goal has been allocated as solely down to bassongs poor wave of a leg at the cross (which it was) yet there was not a jot of criticism of the non existant effort of bennett to track the movement of the scorer and apply some pressure. Bennett had the player (who was behind seb) in his eyeline through out yet there isnt a glimmer of appreciation of the risk or effort to squeeze the man. As a result he had a free effort.

For the second again Seb was weak with his clearance, yet both dorrans and howson get sucked in too deep with having the awareness to appreciate that there is no attacking player not marked by the back 4 and that sitting on the edge of the box was the intelligent thing to do. this is a repeated failing.

As far as yest game was concerned yet again Bennett only won 1 aerial battle (not free headers clear) compared to bassongs 10. if we need a change again then its bennett who needs to be dropped first, not bassong

I repeat what I have said before; our CBs have been inconsistent and flawed for too long ro expect them to change now; the best pairing has been Klose & Martin although bassong and martin will do.

However much more criticism for yesterdays defeat needs to be aimed at Howson, Dorran & the murphys - they provided no defensive shield; 4 men comfortably outfought our 5. Shame on them.

Am I right in thinking that Neil will only play a righ footer at RCB and a left footer at LCB and as such, certain permutations will simply never happen unless his hand is forced by injuries etc