Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Oliveira

Good goal yesterday, got us back in the match.  Cutting in from the right like that and having the confidence to hit with his left foot.  A real two footed player able to create his own chances and scoring goals. Good to see.

I don''t recall him winning anything in the air - out jumped, or out muscled every time. Good player, good work rate, but doesn''t provide an outlet if we go long and no threat from corners.

No threat from corners. When was the last time we had any player who was a threat from corners. Michael Nelson, Malky Mackay ???

Good player, but a very different one to Jerome. And we didn''t really play to his strengths yesterday. I feel there could be a lot more to come from him if we do.Not his fault, the team selected in the first half would have played to his strengths. But it was entirely the wrong team for the game.

Nelson is coming along well and with jerome we have options;

However scoring isnt really our problem - it''s always difficult to win when we dont defend as a team (esp the midfield) and concede 2.

[quote user="ZLF"]Nelson is coming along well and with jerome we have options;

However scoring isnt really our problem - it''s always difficult to win when we dont defend as a team (esp the midfield) and concede 2.[/quote]Nothing about the setup yesterday screamed "solid unit to keep it tight away from home".It said "F-you Barnsley, we''re better than you and we''re just going to pass you off the park".

But should that starting XI have defended better? of course they should, the arrogance and lack of graft was stunning.

Josh did nothing to show he is prepared to graft defensively and was woeful using the ball

Jacob was better at both and showed why he is starting; but is too lightweight in his efforts.

Pritchard was simply overpowered and unable to cope; i think just one pass forward into the box.

Dorrans and Howson should be most ashamed; given the deeps roles they did not defend with intelligence or effort, being second to every loose ball & weak in any challenges. Howson in particular only touched the ball in his own half 3/4 times in the first half, not ONCE clearing, winning a header or even attempting a tackle. That is shocking ill discipline from the most senior player on the pitch. Dorrans was barely better but at least kept team shape and discipline.

And I am not sure how we are going to pass teams off the park when most passes in their half were back or sidewards - 7 passes from Howson, Pritchard or Dorrans into the penalty area all game is poor (4 of them from dorrans) - Mulumbu managed two in 45 mins.

Neil was wrong to not start Olsson instead of Josh once Naismith was injured, but as I called after the brentford game dorrans howson in not a platform for us.

[quote user="ZLF"]But should that starting XI have defended better? of course they should, the arrogance and lack of graft was stunning.

Josh did nothing to show he is prepared to graft defensively and was woeful using the ball

Jacob was better at both and showed why he is starting; but is too lightweight in his efforts.

Pritchard was simply overpowered and unable to cope; i think just one pass forward into the box.

Dorrans and Howson should be most ashamed; given the deeps roles they did not defend with intelligence or effort, being second to every loose ball & weak in any challenges. Howson in particular only touched the ball in his own half 3/4 times in the first half, not ONCE clearing, winning a header or even attempting a tackle. That is shocking ill discipline from the most senior player on the pitch. Dorrans was barely better but at least kept team shape and discipline.

And I am not sure how we are going to pass teams off the park when most passes in their half were back or sidewards - 7 passes from Howson, Pritchard or Dorrans into the penalty area all game is poor (4 of them from dorrans) - Mulumbu managed two in 45 mins.

Neil was wrong to not start Olsson instead of Josh once Naismith was injured, but as I called after the brentford game dorrans howson in not a platform for us.[/quote]Completely agree re general workrate.But the selection gave them little chance, the ball spent more time in the air in the first half than it did on the floor.If anyone had done their homework at all on Barnsley, we should have gone there to win ugly.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I don''t think anyone is looking for any positives today Lakey[/quote]Sometimes less is more LDC.FF''s got it spot on. Just occasionally can''t you just go with the flow ? If you can''t find anything negative to say just don''t say anything. Those of us who were at Oakwell were so p*ssed off with the 1st half display that had Oliviera scored a 2nd half hat-trick it wouldn''t have papered over the cracks.I sat next to a bloke who''d come over from Hannover for the match, his first of the season. I doubt he''s sharing your enthusiasm this morning...

[quote user="ZLF"]Nelson is coming along well and with jerome we have options;

However scoring isnt really our problem - it''s always difficult to win when we dont defend as a team (esp the midfield) and concede 2.[/quote]

And one of the options is play them both (i.e. in the same team and at the same time). Forgot though, we don''t do Plan Bs.