Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

League two tactics

So this week we''re given the excuse :-

"That''s not a tactic for football, that''s League two tactics"

Mmm, Alex, my suspicions are that we lost, they won and they have an additional 3 points.

We better get used to League two tactics, looks like we will be seeing a far bit of them, next couple of years.

[quote user="Number 9"]So this week we''re given the excuse :-

"That''s not a tactic for football, that''s League two tactics"

Mmm, Alex, my suspicions are that we lost, they won and they have an additional 3 points.

We better get used to League two tactics, looks like we will be seeing a far bit of them, next couple of years.[/quote]What was the rest of the quote, just for context?

Brentford sat off us, let us have the ball and we are really comfortable when teams let us have the ball and go and play,” said Neil. “We cruised against Brentford. This test was completely different. Barnsley turned the ball forward, fought and scrapped for second balls and put it in behind us. I really don’t think any of that was tactical. If that is a tactic it is something you normally see in League Two. You have to cope with that. They are good at what they do, if you don’t match it you are going to have a tough day and, to be fair, they thoroughly deserved the win based on the first-half performance. To get out of this league you have to be flexible to overcome any test you might face.

[quote user="Number 9"]Brentford sat off us, let us have the ball and we are really comfortable when teams let us have the ball and go and play,” said Neil. “We cruised against Brentford. This test was completely different. Barnsley turned the ball forward, fought and scrapped for second balls and put it in behind us. I really don’t think any of that was tactical. If that is a tactic it is something you normally see in League Two. You have to cope with that. They are good at what they do, if you don’t match it you are going to have a tough day and, to be fair, they thoroughly deserved the win based on the first-half performance. To get out of this league you have to be flexible to overcome any test you might face.[/quote]Would have been handy if maybe he had considered these points before the game.

So basically admitting he got done by "league two tactics" then.

I tell you what is league two tactics. Taking off your only attacking outlet or players who can keep the ball and chucking on an extra centre back for the last 10 minutes to try and protect a lead, that''s league two tactics.

Bit worrying really, probably just that not much thought was given to the post match comments.

We are in the Hughtonesque, will the board leave it too late, situation.

Arguably they may well already have left it too late. Massive damage done over the last 8 games (Derby gained 15 points on us, Brighton 16, Newcastle 14, Villa 13, Reading 14) although thankfully the position is not yet completely irretrievable.

To be fair the bloke is being hit from all sides at the moment - oddly I find Archant seem desperate for us to get rid of him - even the PinkUn twitter feed spends most of its time re-tweeting any anti AN stuff it can find.
I''m not saying I disagree but I''m not sure they''ve really gone for it as much as this before.

Why do managers criticise other teams tactics? It is none of their business.

I remember Wimbledon kicking us of the pitch to beat us 3-0 and possibly deny us the old 1st division title. Not a murmur from us afterwards. It was a tactic to stop us and it worked. And the ref let it all go so another reason not to moan.

[quote user="hogesar"]To be fair the bloke is being hit from all sides at the moment - oddly I find Archant seem desperate for us to get rid of him - even the PinkUn twitter feed spends most of its time re-tweeting any anti AN stuff it can find.
I''m not saying I disagree but I''m not sure they''ve really gone for it as much as this before.
[/quote]Agree with this. Its almost like they had a meeting a month or two ago, and agreed to all sing from the same hymnsheet.

Hogesar, I noticed that. Bailey and Davitt seem to be gunning for him. In fairness to them, I know Bailey''s a fan, maybe they''ve had enough of the performances and moaning drivel from everyone who regularly attends the live feed and debates on a Monday. I can''t imagine it''s a great job having to answer the same miserable questions week in and out.

I''m keep coming back to the thought that if McNasty was still here would Archant and or Radio Norfolk be so busy?

I can''t help feeling that they were under the cosh a bit when DMCN was here?

The board seem happy to let AN take all the flak from the local media. He (AN) comes out with lots of fighting talk before and after games, which is in keeping with his fiery persona. I think that could be at the heart of it, that the players have seen through all that and feel that he hasn''t got the tactical ability to set up properly or change things if things aren''t going to plan. The players have equal responsibility to deliver of course, but if they don''t believe in him in the first place, their mindset is all wrong.

They need some help on the psychological side of the game as well at the moment... but I bet AN is the type of manager who doesn''t believe in it, and thinks that physical effort will see them through.

No surprise there then Hogesar.

The brain controls everything you (with the exception of a few reflex actions). This includes all the actions of the body, (which BTW Mr Neil includes playing football) all the thoughts and perhaps most importantly the nature of the thoughts (thinking/mindset).

Spend as much time nurturing the nature of thought as is spent nurturing skill and this is when a player will exceed what is expected of his ''natural'' ability, ignore it and everything will go t*ts.

As Mr Henry Ford once said; If you think you can do a thing or whether you think you cannot do a thing, you will be right (paraphrased).

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Number 9"]Brentford sat off us, let us have the ball and we are really comfortable when teams let us have the ball and go and play,” said Neil. “We cruised against Brentford. This test was completely different. Barnsley turned the ball forward, fought and scrapped for second balls and put it in behind us. I really don’t think any of that was tactical. If that is a tactic it is something you normally see in League Two. You have to cope with that. They are good at what they do, if you don’t match it you are going to have a tough day and, to be fair, they thoroughly deserved the win based on the first-half performance. To get out of this league you have to be flexible to overcome any test you might face.[/quote]

Would have been handy if maybe he had considered these points before the game.
[/quote]

What really narks me is that 5 minutes research on the internet reveals Barnsley''s approach this season.  Why anyone would think it''s a good idea to start 3 lightweight attacking players against them is beyond me.