Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Indications AN has lost his way?

How can AN justify his selection decisions.

Recent stated we have the best left back in the division, then leaves him on the bench. Then play a midfielder at left back.

Then at half time takes off the most outstanding player last week. Prichard, like Wes, can make things happen.

Sadly, these amongst many other decisions since relegation, too many to list, indicates he has lost his way. Has to go now before he spends any more money in the forthcoming window. We don''t want more more expensive players sitting on, or not even making the bench.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]How can AN justify his selection decisions.

Recent stated we have the best left back in the division, then leaves him on the bench. Then play a midfielder at left back.

Then at half time takes off the most outstanding player last week. Prichard, like Wes, can make things happen.

Sadly, these amongst many other decisions since relegation, too many to list, indicates he has lost his way. Has to go now before he spends any more money in the forthcoming window. We don''t want more more expensive players sitting on, or not even making the bench.[/quote]

Pritchard maybe did so well last week because he had Naismith beside him and they linked well by all accounts.  It was a brave, maybe foolish line up with too much onus on the midfield of Howson and Dorrans, but it was only one enforced change from a 5-0 win, after all, so you would think that line up could have done better.  And you can''t deny the changes made at half time had an effect.  We need battlers and the way we played second half had that. 

I simply do not trust Neil to spend money in January.

As for suggesting he has lost his way due to team selections, this has now been going on for a good few months

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]How can AN justify his selection decisions.

Sadly, these amongst many other decisions since relegation, too many to list, indicates he has lost his way. Has to go now before he spends any more money in the forthcoming window. We don''t want more more expensive players sitting on, or not even making the bench.[/quote]

Whilst I completely agree he has lost his way...

We actually won the second half, so surely his change was a good one? Also his reasoning behind the change (being bullied) made a lot of sense.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Bradwell canary"]How can AN justify his selection decisions.

We actually won the second half, so surely his change was a good one? Also his reasoning behind the change (being bullied) made a lot of sense.[/quote]

CD you state we won the second half......how many points did we get for that?

[quote user="Bradwell canary"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Bradwell canary"]How can AN justify his selection decisions.

We actually won the second half, so surely his change was a good one? Also his reasoning behind the change (being bullied) made a lot of sense.[/quote]

CD you state we won the second half......how many points did we get for that?[/quote]

You state his change was a bad one,

We did better after the change.

Fact.

The mistake was the initial team selection that had both Murphys playing next to one of our two midget no10s which is an obvious physically weak area of the pitch that would put a lot of pressure on the holding midfielders (which neither Howson or Dorrans actually are).

A lot of posters and fans have been crying out for both murphys to start....do you still feel the same?

Ok so were the changes he made an admission that he got it seriously wrong to start with.

I can''t deny I was a bit excited by the look of the team sheet before the game with both murphy''s starting but did mention that it looked a bit light defensively. Lincoln called it right before the game.

The thing is we are all amateurs and haven''t got scouts etc checking the other teams out beforehand so really this is a mistake AN really shoudn''t be making.

His learning capability seriously concerns me but either way I don''t think it matters much because if we don''t do something special in the next two his position will probably be untenable.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]The mistake was the initial team selection that had both Murphys playing next to one of our two midget no10s which is an obvious physically weak area of the pitch that would put a lot of pressure on the holding midfielders (which neither Howson or Dorrans actually are).

A lot of posters and fans have been crying out for both murphys to start....do you still feel the same?[/quote]

Yes for me, it wasn''t the team selection, it was the team motivation and energy, both Howson & Dorrans allowed themselves to be outfought, now correct me if I''m wrong but aren''t they supposed to be our best two in that position?

It''s not like Barnsley played 5 in midfield they had two strikers.

It''s easy to criticise AN and he made his excuses saying he got the team wrong but sorry, those players that started that game have more than enough experience and quality, can I remind you it''s not like the Murphy boys are teenagers, they are in their 20''s and should be pushing for a regular spot by now.

AN scared that team into not conceding and as normal we started the game way too cautious and sitting deep thus becoming disconnected between attack and defending.

Piss poor set up and defending cost us that game.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The last 12 month''s performances?[/quote]

58 games and 18 wins !! (No more words are needed, I hope)

Yep. Posted something similar a while back but folks didn''t like me using stats across two leagues Webbo. 18/58 is a 31% win percentage. If we don''t win either of our next 2 games it goes down to 30%. It is a dismal run in any managers record but maybe it''s a downward spiral that Neil can address. The signs are not great that he can.

Lost his way ?why not just leave him alone

he''ll come home

wagging his tail behind him

No. he keeps turning up in the dugout week in week out. Clearly got one of those new phones with the googler on it. Stumped you all he has

Newcastle away last season.

Things have never really got back on track since then. The odd couple of decent results strung together but nothing substantial to really to suggest he''s still taking us forward.

I don''t get why that Newcastle game has become so pivotal. Prior to it we beat Bournemouth at home and Sunderland away out of 8 games. After it we won 3 of the next 11. Thats not really much different.

The Newcastle game is seen as so important as it was when AN seemed to lose faith in his attacking philosophy. The battering we took seemed to force a complete shift from our previous playing style and he never made it work.

Picking apart individual games and selections/line ups etc is interesting but I agree with Indy that the motivation/morale seem to have gone and that is one of the primary functions of a manager. The problem is that ever since promotion we have looked, frequently, a poor side with only the odd convincing performance, usually against sides below us or bang out of form. Even in those final weeks of promotion we had the chance of automatics and had key failures when well placed. My conclusion is that while he may, and I stress may, turn out to be a great manager, he is a long way from that right now and the learning process which could take years will be at the expense of progressing the club and building on the PL parachute money and the good crop of players we have (and which AN must take some credit for in some cases). My fear is that we become one of the myriad of similar sized teams with good set ups and some PL history all in the Championship bunfight for years to come while we wait for AN to learn his trade..

I think you''re right Kingo. But this playing style stuff will never keep fans happy despite all the guff posted on here in Hughtons time. It''s all about results and there was no real difference either side of that game.

Yes Tumbleweed, as I said last week this game by game analysis is part of being a fan but the real measure of success or failure comes from looking overall at results, and they just are not good enough, showing no sign of improvement.

I could not agree more than with Indy.

The problem was not the team picked or the players. It was the way the team was sent out.

If the manager picks an attacking team then that team has to impose itself on the opposition and attack.

It''s no good worrying about not conceding and therefore surrendering the game to the opposition by getting attacking players to concentrate on defending.

With the quality of attacking players that were selected we could, and should, have been able to score more than one goal.

His press conferences are totally different to what the match ends up like.

He has just said we don''t worry about the opposition as we can beat anybody in the league. Great. I like that outlook.

So don''t go out the next two home games with two defensive midfield players just for the sake of it when we need to attack the opposition and take the game to them. Would be it be such a risk to start with 1-1 up front?

And if our defence, particularly the two CB''s can''t handle that then clearly we just aren''t good enough and the squad is not what it is cracked up to be.