Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Villa

LDC, Brady did not have a bad game especially when he played up front. Your friend Bassong made the City fans nervous whenever the ball was near him so god knows what his team mates felt. He is heading towards another relegation on his CV.

I am wondering if Klose has decided enough is enough.

[quote user="yorkie"]LDC, Brady did not have a bad game especially when he played up front. Your friend Bassong made the City fans nervous whenever the ball was near him so god knows what his team mates felt. He is heading towards another relegation on his CV.

I am wondering if Klose has decided enough is enough.[/quote]Thanks yorkie,  however, Bassong is not my friend, I would rather have Klose if he is better.  My annoyance at Brady for the second goal may be out of place, but he was supposed to be left back in the first half and for the second goal he only just appears in he picture jogging back as the ball is going in the net, with I think it is Josh doing the left back''s job.  Something not quite right there.

What is being highlighted here, again, is the complete difference between actually being at a game, and sitting at home watching highlights.

[quote user="Bagster"]But isnt part of josh''s job to cover Brady when Brady is attacking[/quote]

Of course, but as being in the team as left back, to be caught so far forwards and not be making enough effort to get back looks pretty poor.  Oh and morty, the I''m well aware of the being at matches is different - why do you think I have been asking so many questions on this thread??

So Dorrans should start on the left instead of one of the best attacking left midfielders in the league based on highlights of Brady maybe being slightly culpable for a goal when playing at left back?

So we should play a player out of position instead of a player in his natural position just because that player may have been slightly at fault for a goal when playing out of position?

How about playing our best players in there best positions?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bagster"]But isnt part of josh''s job to cover Brady when Brady is attacking[/quote]

Of course, but as being in the team as left back, to be caught so far forwards and not be making enough effort to get back looks pretty poor.  Oh and morty, the I''m well aware of the being at matches is different - why do you think I have been asking so many questions on this thread??

[/quote]I have no issue of you deferring to peoples more informed opinion, who could actually be bothered to go to the match.More the badly informed opinion you have jumped to based on about 3 minutes highlights, then trying to pass it off as informed.Barnsley is a mere two and a half hours from you, didn''t fancy it yesterday? You could pay on the day too, I believe.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]So Dorrans should start on the left instead of one of the best attacking left midfielders in the league based on highlights of Brady maybe being slightly culpable for a goal when playing at left back?

So we should play a player out of position instead of a player in his natural position just because that player may have been slightly at fault for a goal when playing out of position?

How about playing our best players in there best positions?[/quote]Or maybe looking at it from the point of view of why we''re conceding so many goals through lack of covering in midfield and putting players in who will put in the same effort into defending as attacking.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Whittaker at Right Mid then?

Maybe push Klose into CM to offer the 2 CBs a bit of protection?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/1bae09fb2ecdd32e63311526238fb66456ffd699a857396004d37ccf0098303a_zpsziaff562.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/1bae09fb2ecdd32e63311526238fb66456ffd699a857396004d37ccf0098303a_zpsziaff562.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

''why we''re conceding so many goals through lack of covering in midfield and putting players in who will put in the same effort into defending as attacking. ''

Whittaker would offer more defensively than Murphy. Doesnt mean we should do it though....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bagster"]But isnt part of josh''s job to cover Brady when Brady is attacking[/quote]

[/quote]I have no issue of you deferring to peoples more informed opinion, who could actually be bothered to go to the match. More the badly informed opinion you have jumped to based on about 3 minutes highlights, then trying to pass it off as informed. Barnsley is a mere two and a half hours from you, didn''t fancy it yesterday? You could pay on the day too, I believe.[/quote]I thought I had made suggestions and asked for clarification from those who went, but you spin it how you like.  As for being at the match, unforunately, I work most Saturdays and lucky if I can catch any of the matches even on audio coverage.  Enjoy your day, I have other things to do so cheerio to you and your hangers on.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bagster"]But isnt part of josh''s job to cover Brady when Brady is attacking[/quote]

[/quote]I have no issue of you deferring to peoples more informed opinion, who could actually be bothered to go to the match. More the badly informed opinion you have jumped to based on about 3 minutes highlights, then trying to pass it off as informed. Barnsley is a mere two and a half hours from you, didn''t fancy it yesterday? You could pay on the day too, I believe.[/quote]I thought I had made suggestions and asked for clarification from those who went, but you spin it how you like.  As for being at the match, unforunately, I work most Saturdays and lucky if I can catch any of the matches even on audio coverage.  Enjoy your day, I have other things to do so cheerio to you and your hangers on.

[/quote][:D]

[quote user="JF"]It won''t matter what team he puts out and in what formation as the performance will be the same. The players he leaves on the bench Tuesday will be the answer next week and so on. There are deeper problems than who should be in the starting 11.[/quote]This sums it up nicely.

I think the efforts of naismith were missed; his link up play with brady has been good and his defensive contribution gone un-noticed.

Mr Invisible Bennett (1 won header and seems to watch strikers score rather than making it hard for them seems to be his growing speciality) has to go for me.

Howson? He has a box to box engine and looks gorgeous when running with the ball; yet neither combative, disciplined nor competitive enough to be a defensive midfielder (Tettey, Mulumbu, Thompson all better overall) and simply does not offer enough when play at no 10 in an attacking sense (pritchard and wes are both better there). What is his role?

Assuming no returning injured

Ruddy

Pinto Martin Bassong Olsson

Mulumbu Dorrans

Howson Pritchard Brady

Oliveira

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]What makes you say Brady hasn''t worked hard enough LDC...when have you seen that over the last 3 or so games to come to that conclusion?

Irrespective of that I CBA to come up with a team because I''m struggling with the fact we lost to f*cking Barnsley still.[/quote]

I obviously only get to see the highlights of most games, but all season, the goals against is a story of midfelders getting back too late to help - and on more than one occasion I''ve looked at the goals and seen Brady just trotting back with no apparent urgency - especially yesterday for the second goal - and he was supposed to be left back yesterday. Of course it''s not just him - but the questions have to be asked imo.

[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/17378d280d_zpsr8qne9sz.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/17378d280d_zpsr8qne9sz.gif[/IMG][/URL][/quote]So what gives you the right to pontificate most of the time as if you are in the dugout?[/quote]Morty, if you look you will see that I highlighted part of LDC''s post.  My comment about pontificating as if in the dugout was addressed to him, not you.  I''m well aware you have attended the last few games.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]What makes you say Brady hasn''t worked hard enough LDC...when have you seen that over the last 3 or so games to come to that conclusion?

Irrespective of that I CBA to come up with a team because I''m struggling with the fact we lost to f*cking Barnsley still.[/quote]

I obviously only get to see the highlights of most games, but all season, the goals against is a story of midfelders getting back too late to help - and on more than one occasion I''ve looked at the goals and seen Brady just trotting back with no apparent urgency - especially yesterday for the second goal - and he was supposed to be left back yesterday. Of course it''s not just him - but the questions have to be asked imo.

[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/17378d280d_zpsr8qne9sz.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/17378d280d_zpsr8qne9sz.gif[/IMG][/URL][/quote]So what gives you the right to pontificate most of the time as if you are in the dugout?[/quote]Morty, if you look you will see that I highlighted part of LDC''s post.  My comment about pontificating as if in the dugout was addressed to him, not you.  I''m well aware you have attended the last few games.[/quote]Aye realised that after, apologies[Y]

...........................Balls

Balls............Balls..........Balls..........Balls

.......Balls............Balls...........Balls

...................Balls...........Balls

..........................Balls

Its a ballsy christmas tree formation :)

......................Ruddy

..pinto Martin Klose Olsen

.......howson Mullumbu Brady

Ja murphy Pritchard

Oliviera

Move Klose wrote the following post at 11/12/2016 2:40 PM:

Ruddy

Pinto Martin Klose Olsson

Mulumbu Howson

Ja.Murphy Pritchard Brady

Oliveria

------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the sound of this!

Morty, I too, because of work commitments couldn''t make the match yesterday and am interested to see people''s opinions as three minutes of highlights does very little.

However, after seeing basically the same players winning easily the previous week (even with Josh on for Naismith and having a major part in the last two goals) I was very disappointed with both the performance (by all accounts) and the result.

You have said twice on this thread that Brady was not the problem yesterday. Well, what was?

The players have started very poorly in the last few away games, showing little effort, fight, commitment or urgency.

Is the problem not so much the tactics, or the quality of the players but a motivational one?

But Morty all week and including on Friday you were stating there was no need to change anything. How was it the wrong team if you were happy with no change?

[quote user="ZLF"]But Morty all week and including on Friday you were stating there was no need to change anything. How was it the wrong team if you were happy with no change?[/quote]Couple of things.I don''t pick the team, Alex Neil does.I knew very little about Barnsley, with us being in the Prem last season I paid very little attention to the Championship. I assume Alex Neil read some kind of scouting report on them, and should have picked his team accordingly. Ie if it was noted that they were quite physical, then pick players that could stand up to that.Also it probably would have worked with Naismith instead of Murphy.

i agree with you about Naismith - he was a big loss compounded by the introduction of Josh rather than Olsson and move Brady forward; add in Josh being ineffective defensively the gamble didnt pay off. Its clear that despite the clamour Josh is clearly not ready yet, and that the team cannot accommodate both murphys at the moment.

The comment of you dont pick the team is a cop out. You have shared the opinion the manager picked the wrong team but not what would be better? If you think it was the wrong team you are intelligent enough to know what you think would have been better. And to spend the week saying no change needed only to change post match doesnt square either. It only an opinion, and to discuss them is what this board is about.

I agree with you that it WAS the wrong side and called that out last week and yest am. I had concerns about Dorrans / Howson being strong enough. They werent. Mulumbu was needed and we saw his impact in the second half - Mulumbu Dorrans looks like our best deep fit pair.

My concern is that with the current attitude of too many players even when the right side is picked.

However its too easy to JUST blame the manager; even though I thought Howson Dorrans might struggle that does not forgive their lack of impact in the first half. They are premier league experienced players. They know how to track, compete, tackle and read the game - thats what earned their contracts. They knew what barnsley were about ; while not their strengths they simply failed to compete or read the game defensively. They are central midfielders; that involves going in for 50/50 challenges, breaking up play, competing and intercepting passes. I dont know if they felt that was beneath them but they showed no commitment - no willingness to earn their money. The performances from too many came across as that of a truculent child not wanting to play Barnsleys game; for me it is that attitude of the players, combined with some of the managers picks, that is costing us.

There is no easy answer to getting it right, re-motivating players on good contracts is much tougher than changing the XI or the manager.

Not a cop out in the slightest, I assume Alex Neil had a scouting report that I obviously don''t have access to. I have already told you that I didn''t know particularly much about Barnsley.And I can only assume Alex Neil knows even more about the capabilities, attitude and fitness of his players than we do. Which frankly makes his decision to play the team he did, even worse.I too question the quality and attitude of some players, but its Alex Neil''s job to gee them up, or kick their ar$e as required.There is still a fragility within the squad as a whole, that very quickly returned yesterday, as we started to get overrun.

Whether an in depth report was obtained, given or had been acted upon, if the manager had made changes to the team that had comprehensibly beaten Brentford he would have received criticism from all quarters.

I still do not believe the team was the problem, I do not believe the players were the problem. I believe it was the way the game was approached that was the problem.

I cannot remember the last time that we played away and imposed ourselves on the opposition from the first whistle. It seems we want to slowly get into the game and not do anything rash early on in case we give something away.

Unfortunately all we do is pass the impetus on to the home team and then find ourselves chasing the game.

Barnsley, I believe, played with two up front. Therefore the midfield could not have been packed. So why were we so unable to compete?