Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Need four defensively aware midfielders in the team at all times

Not necessarily defensive midfielders, but midfielders that are aware enough and capable enough to help defend.........and prepared to put in the effort.  Time after time in the goal against highlights,  I see no midfielders closing down.  As for defenders, the second goal today, which I''ve seen from two angles shows Brady just trotting back from the half way line with no sense of urgency and he was supposed to be left back!  The effort at covering is appalling at times, not just with Brady, but whoever is playing.  Combined with casual simple errors by experienced players and it is no surprise we keep shipping goals/losing games.   The second half was better today, with Mulumbu in there for added combative playing, so hopefully the message has finally got home - we have to have a strong midfield capable of defending - and that means four players.   Brady I''m not sure about, looks way too casual at times to me - perhaps someone who went today could say how he did. I suggested weeks ago that a secure four across midfield away from home - like we had in the second half today - was the way we should be approaching matches. Howson Mulumbu Dorrans and Brady looks a strong midfield (as long as Brady is on form and 100% at it). With Thompson and Tettey also capable, with four of those, we should be strong enough for anyone.....as long as they are all trying their hardest.

Barnsley away LDC not far from you thought you may have been there, Brady did well in the 2nd half when pushed into midfield, 1st half is best forgotten :(

Dorrans and howson two premier league experienced midfielders offered no fight or commitment in the first half.

Both highly paid talented individuals but both inconsistent. Their role was to provide a defensive barrier, not a porous colander. Neither appear able to stand up to pressure on the ball.

Hourihane showed us that a box to box midfielder can play 90 mins without drifting out, can tackle and track back as well as shuffle the ball while attacking with desire to be first to the ball with graft, and do so with quality. We need at least one of those, we didn''t today. Ours chose to hide and give responsibility to others until the game was lost.

It doesn''t matter who you play there if the commitment levels are not right. Tetty is our most defensive minded midfield player and he has been dissapointing to put it mildly this year.

Tinkering with the selection will not sort this out.

Agree hairy; commitment is key (used in my post) and agree that tettey appears another reluctant to be here. Commitment also applies to the willingness to do an assigned role, rather than not trying because its not the role you wanted or its hard because the opponents are strong in the tackle.

Thompsons latest injury was ill timed

Well it worked tonight - an engine room of  four good solid midfielders in Howson, Dorrans, Mulumbu and Brady in tonight and it worked.  Just like it often did in our promotion season with Howson, O''Neill, Tettey and Johnson.   The flair can come from the top two and could be any of the flair attacking midfielders/strikers.  Tettey did his part too when he came on to maintain that strong four in midfield. Must be the way forwards. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well it worked tonight - an engine room of  four good solid midfielders in Howson, Dorrans, Mulumbu and Brady in tonight and it worked.  Just like it often did in our promotion season with Howson, O''Neill, Tettey and Johnson.   The flair can come from the top two and could be any of the flair attacking midfielders/strikers.  Tettey did his part too when he came on to maintain that strong four in midfield. Must be the way forwards. 

[/quote][:D]You really are full of $hit.

I''ve long since believed we need eleven players, of whom ten are both defensively and offensively aware, and one who understands goalkeeping (plus another one who can step into goal should the worst happen).  It also helps to have players on the bench who have similar awareness.  Last night vindicated my thinking.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well it worked tonight - an engine room of  four good solid midfielders in Howson, Dorrans, Mulumbu and Brady in tonight and it worked.  Just like it often did in our promotion season with Howson, O''Neill, Tettey and Johnson.   The flair can come from the top two and could be any of the flair attacking midfielders/strikers.  Tettey did his part too when he came on to maintain that strong four in midfield. Must be the way forwards. 

[/quote]

I don''t remember seeing a top two. I saw Howson making runs past Basil but Murphy was stuck to the touchline covering much of the first half.

[/quote]

The midfield that got us promoted and won play off final was Howson, Tettey, Johnson, Redmond.

Mulmbu made a massive difference, breaking up the play, big tackles, real bite and determination, he lit edmthe crowd and the side.

The guy is a revelation for me, he was great when we first signed him then seemed to go way off his game, injury played a part on n that presumably, but back as his best yesterday. Provided the sort of leadership that we have been lacking on the pitch.