Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Tonight's Highlights

Yes, it just looked like they sort of stumbled into each otheruntil watching that replayit could well have been given a penaltyhowever it was our night, and that would have been very cruel

I must admit my heart was in my mouth when he went down- my eyes immediately went to the ref and I''m all but certain he put his whistle to his lips. The ball then drops for Kodjia and, by the letter of the law, ref allows an advantage IMO which can''t really be brought back after a striker has accepted but subsequently missed a good chance.

Good decision. One of precious few.

I think you have explained it as it did look to be a penalty, but as you say he allowed Villa to play on

...............''phew''

[quote user="Mason 47"]I must admit my heart was in my mouth when he went down- my eyes immediately went to the ref and I''m all but certain he put his whistle to his lips. The ball then drops for Kodjia and, by the letter of the law, ref allows an advantage IMO which can''t really be brought back after a striker has accepted but subsequently missed a good chance.

Good decision. One of precious few.[/quote]Exactly this.

Very clever by McCormack, he did what Jamie Vardy is so good at - running for the ball with a defender after you, then suddenly stop, defender gets a slight touch and you go down.

Not a penalty for me. Clever but as a defender there is nothing you can do if a forward just stops in front of you (Vardy steps across defenders to get them). Had McCormack been half a yard closer to the ball, it could have been a different story.

Also, Steve Bruce conceded in the interview afterwards that it would have been very harsh if given - no complaints from him.

Mason 47, I''m still not sure if the ref played advantage or not. He certainly didn''t seem to signal that he played advantage, just looked across to the linesman who hadn''t flagged for anything then gave the corner. A penalty would have been harsh, my first impression was indeed "oh no" - but having seen the replay Pinto really does nothing wrong. It''s a coming together off the ball but Pinto only has eyes on the ball.

As for Kodjia, I sincerely hope he is retrospectively banned for that kick into Mulumbu''s head.

What a cracking finish from Oliveira though!

I think the ref''s look to the linesman was to check whether McCormack was offside. Good save from Ruddy for the follow up from Kodija. I enjoyed the fact that the ref blew for full time while Villa took so long to go and take the corner!

Didn''t think much about it at the time, but you''re right Woodman, was quite unusual for a ref to call time when a team is about to take a corner!