Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_Yahoo

Jeremy Goss

Hi there, I''m writing an article about Jeremy Goss for the Yahoo Football website and wanted to get Norwich fans'' memories and opinions of him as a player and a man. All contributions will be credited to the Pink Un.

Some of you may recall I did something similar on Darren Eadie last season: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-no-13-darren-144951844.html

So if you have anything to share on Gossy, do it here! Many thanks, Kevin

[quote user="vlad666"]The volley against the Leeds when their fans applauded is one of my favourite goss moments.[/quote]The beauty of that goal was breathtaking - not just the shot, but the sheer poetry of a lovely weighted pin point cross from Ruel Fox followed by the no nonsense finish.  One of our best goals ever.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="vlad666"]The volley against the Leeds when their fans applauded is one of my favourite goss moments.[/quote]The beauty of that goal was breathtaking - not just the shot, but the sheer poetry of a lovely weighted pin point cross from Ruel Fox followed by the no nonsense finish.  One of our best goals ever.

[/quote]From distant memory it was all started by a good long pass out of defence by - I think - Butterworth.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Many will talk about that goal v Bayern, equally as impressive was him scoring the last goal in front of the old Kop at Anfield, typical Gossy.[/quote]

Being the last man to score in front of the Old Kop is quite a story for the grandchildren. Especially given how it was meant to be a momentous occasion for the Liverpool fans, who were all crammed in to the stand and had to watch that goal and Norwich win the game. Sorry Liverpool fans ;)

What made Goss so good though was that he had what might now be described as a ''Scholes-esque'' ability to arrive or to be in the right place at the right time in the box, and to hit the target nine times out of ten. Great example of this here in our second goal v Vitesse Arnhem in that UEFA cup run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-W26gDD4sg

And of course, he had that player''s ability to hit from long range too.

He really was a Scholes type player before Scholes'' time.

Jeremy Goss is more than a bit of a legend in Norwich circles.That incredible season was something special but socially he''s a nice bloke too. He himself admitted that he was a confidence player which I think means he liked a bit more arm-round-the-shoulder TLC than some players do.

I think he was one of those players that you don''t appreciate when your younger. He was pretty average in almost everything he did he didn''t tackle and bite in great like Megson he didn''t pass aswell as Crook but he worked really hard off the ball to make a passing option for his team mates which allowed the team to pass and move really well. A lot of British players only move if they think there''s a real chance of getting the ball, players like Goss use movement to create space for the whole team, regardless.

Always thought he was a bit of an enigma really. Pretty average being brutally honest, in and out of the team, but boy could he volley the ball and he was involved in loads of great memories.

Not the most spectacular but the equaliser against Bayern at home was my favourite. Right in front of me at the Barcley end and I just knew in that moment that we were going to knock them out. Great stuff.

''''I put an outside light up for gossy once ''''

Blimey!!!The things people will do for a famous person, did you have it surgically removed?

That goal during an amazing 4-0 drubbing at Elland Road is right up there as one of my favourite goals of all time. Absolute cracker of a goal from pass to cross to finish. Beautiful! Seem to remember it being pipped for goal of the season on Match of the Day by an Aston Villa passing movement, think it might have been poor Dalian Atkinson or maybe Dwight Yorke, can''t remember.

Good aul Gossy, scored some legendary goals

if any player really did have a season in the sun it was Goss in 1993-94a perennial sub playing 2nd fiddle to the likes of Crook, Megson, Sherwood and Townsend in his time at Norwich. Infact wasn''t far off leaving the club once.it all happened to him all at once, but then isn''t that how it is for so many?good luck with the article Kevin.