Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Well done, Rio

anyone feeling they might wish to add something, can by going herelinkor simply follow the links through from the BBC page via the local radio website

Dan Dare wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 4:25 PM:

"a very generous gesture"

£500,000 could be better spend on food donations rather than on toys. Toys don''t feed empty stomachs.

[quote user="E.L.F."]Dan Dare wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 4:25 PM:

£500,000 could be better spend on food donations rather than on toys. Toys don''t feed empty stomachs.[/quote]

Well when you stump up your half a million, you can give the kids baked beans and porridge for Xmas.

Top notch, good to see and how can anyone criticise him for this, toys instead of food! some sad people on here!

Very high in my estimation, great guy.

[quote user="E.L.F."]Dan Dare wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 4:25 PM:

£500,000 could be better spend on food donations rather than on toys. Toys don''t feed empty stomachs.[/quote]who says they have empty stomachs - most may have very caring parents who make sure the children are fedand I expect those running the charity know a bit more about what is needed, than you or I

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 7:46 PM:

"Well when you stump up your half a million, you can give the kids baked beans and porridge for Xmas."

Nice, you must still believe in Santa, yes? I also trust that you''re nicely sitting in your toasty warm flat after consuming your 1500 calorie tea.

[quote user="E.L.F."]Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 7:46 PM:

"Well when you stump up your half a million, you can give the kids baked beans and porridge for Xmas."

Nice, you must still believe in Santa, yes? I also trust that you''re nicely sitting in your toasty warm flat after consuming your 1500 calorie tea.[/quote]stop marking an ar - se of yourself

£500,000 could be better spend on food donations rather than on toys. Toys don''t feed empty stomachs.

A brilliant gesture, when his kids are having their first xmas without their mum, keep the perspective E.L.F

Dan Dare wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 7:54 PM:

who says they have empty stomachs - most may have very caring parents who make sure the children are fed

and I expect those running the charity know a bit more about what is needed, than you or I

What''s the poverty rate in this first-world kingdom? These caring parents might make sure their children are fed, so all is well when there is no money left for heat or lights. Don''t you think it''s time that people stop with these asinine make-believe holidays and start focusing on what really matters?

Look, someone who can has tried to make a difference. I''m sure there are people out there who would prefer the 500k to be down on affordable housing, warm clothes, food or whatever. But if that 500k makes those disadvantaged kids happy for one day then it''s worth every penny. How nice will it be for them?

FFS, if we''re going to go the whole hog we should ALL forgo Xmas, tell our kids it''s cancelled and send everything we would have spent to somewhere more deserving.

How anyone can sneer at someone offering 500k of gifts to kids is remarkable but not unexpected.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="morty"]*Opens popcorn[/quote]

You could have given that to somebody hungry...[/quote]You''re right.And the nice glass of Merlot I have on the go too, in case they are thirsty[:(]

To be fair it''s not really rio ferdinands responsibility to feed the UK.

There''s alot wealthier ex footballers and men/women out there who have donated alot less than he has I should imagine. Why not applaud a man who has given such a big gesture to put a smile on a childs face.

What''s a matter with some of you people. Can''t wait to slate someone. Be interested to know what you''ve done for charities this year (truthfully)

"The charity which supports disabled and disadvantaged children in Greater Manchester said its Mission Christmas campaign aims to help at least 60,000 children in Manchester who are at risk of not getting a present this Christmas"

If more companies were allowed to or followed the likes of Pret A Manger and dispense the food not sold to the homeless and those in need there would be a fair few less hungry people out there. Thanks to the PC doo gooders out of date food which is fit for consumption still has to be thrown away.

Maybe ELF you can cast your mind to champion this rather than moan at Rio for doing something fantastic.

[quote user="E.L.F."]Dan Dare wrote the following post at 15 Dec 2016 7:54 PM:

who says they have empty stomachs - most may have very caring parents who make sure the children are fed

and I expect those running the charity know a bit more about what is needed, than you or I

What''s the poverty rate in this first-world kingdom? These caring parents might make sure their children are fed, so all is well when there is no money left for heat or lights. Don''t you think it''s time that people stop with these asinine make-believe holidays and start focusing on what really matters?[/quote]You have no knowledge of to whom these toys will be going to, or the how they live.You also presume that no one else on here is  aware of the world''s inequalities, or that charities are not the real answer.But this gesture is not saying it is the answer, merely that for one specific purpose this might help.I don''t see him wandering about Africa, or standing behind some huge cheque.Just wanting to help, yes it might be misplaced, yes there are one hundred other ways that money could be spent.But there''ll be more than a hundred kids who''ll have at least one present they would otherwise not haveNow grow up and stop being silly

I spent a lot of money up the City today on presents, I obviously missed a trick, and should have gone to Tescos and bought everyone tins of beans this year.

Hell Morty I hope you can push the boat out and get those beans with mini frankfurters in! It''s Christmas after all!

[quote user="Indy"]Hell Morty I hope you can push the boat out and get those beans with mini frankfurters in! It''s Christmas after all![/quote]What with the state of the offshore industry?I''m not made of money.

[quote user="Indy"]If more companies were allowed to or followed the likes of Pret A Manger and dispense the food not sold to the homeless and those in need there would be a fair few less hungry people out there. Thanks to the PC doo gooders out of date food which is fit for consumption still has to be thrown away.

Maybe ELF you can cast your mind to champion this rather than moan at Rio for doing something fantastic.[/quote]I think you can blame the lawyers and the litigious public for that. The PC do gooders get enough grief without laying that one at their door.