Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Stick with Nelson? Bring back Jerome? Play both?

Although Nelson had a good all round game against Aston Villa, with Jerome now back in the squad is it time to bring him straight back in and then bring in one of our "flair" midfield players behind him (Pritchard/Hoolahan) to provide the creative edge?

Or do we keep the more creative but less "back to goal" Nelson up front and stick with the more solid midfield we saw against Villa?

Or do we try Jerome and Nelson together with Nelson playing off Jerome?

I think we should stick with Nelson. He''s done the business and scored goals whilst gelling very well with his teammates. I think Jerome has got a fight on his hands before he starts a game for us at the moment.

Change nothing for this one.

Would like to see them up front together at some point, maybe today if we are behind, which of course we won''t be👍

Yep agree with you vw AN has just discovered that if you keep it tight you can nick it so more of the same for me. It does make me suspicious though maybe AN has been reading parma''s posts after all :)

I wouldn''t change much tonight other than didn''t think Jacob had a good game on Tues so might change him for Naismith maybe?

Like Vanwink would love to see Nelson/Jerome combination upfront together in a game but that''s unlikely as we never play 2 upfront nowadays

Stick with Oliviera, he suits our 4-2-3-1 system best. He''s like a version of Grabban that only needs 3 or 4 chances instead of 5 or 6. Also despite being the same size as RVW he looks so much more physically capable and plays the lone striker role well

It would be criminal to drop Nelson, he''s finally had a decent run and has delivered, he''s really started to look confident. I''d love to see Pritchard play off of him tonight

I am just not (yet) convinced Nelson has the strength to play with his back to goal and bring in the midfield. Of course, that is compensated for by his eye for goal and ability to produce the unexpected. And to an extent he won''t be able to do that until we play one of our forward running central midfielders. On Tuesday Howson was box to box as ever, Dorrans buzzed about the midfield and Mulumbu sat deeper so there was no central "runner" for him. Brady cutting in was the best option.

Tough one.

I think I would use the same team but with the bonus of a possible Pritchard/Hoolahan and Jerome double sub to change the impetus if plan A doesn''t work.

[quote user="Alfie54"]It would be criminal to drop Nelson, he''s finally had a decent run and has delivered, he''s really started to look confident. I''d love to see Pritchard play off of him tonight[/quote]

Agree Alfie would be criminal to drop Nelson, cant see there being mamy changes if any

Keep it the same to start with but I''d love to see Nelson and Jerome alongside each other.

Perhaps best to give it a try when we''re comfortably in front during a game or against one of the weaker teams in the league (Ipswich!?!)

Happy to see the same starting 11, but think Oliveira would be very good as the second striker in the Howson role behind Jerome.

Works hard, links play well and shoots from outside the box - he''s made for it.

nelson was the right pick, what I would like to see though is an earlier sub (60-70 mins) to keep both fresh, its demanding playing the lone striker; or play both together if chasing the game.

Shame we didn''t see Nelson and Cams together when it was really needed.

Sad thing for me was that we looked a lot weaker after the subs than we had done before them.

I think we try playing both - stunned to see Nelson subbed so early. AN''s playing a 4-5-1 formation that''s grown so popular over the past decade and it doesn''t seem to be working for us. PL played a 4-4-2 formation with a diamond midfield, but I think we would be playing players out of position if we did that now

Nelson and Pritchard for me. If we are chasing the game at the end bring on Jerome to play with Nelson rather than play Bassong up front, which really is a joke