Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

BGH saying 'Gone.

I''ve got some very good sources at the club I was told just before the AGM that to ignore the ''Promotion, Promotion'' mantra that would be said as it is a PR exercise. The club have no intention of going up this year. I don''t think you will anyone who works there who will disagree (off the record of course).

[quote user="bristolcanary"]I suspect that it is his opinion based on a frustration at how his favourite club is performing.[/quote]Thats fine.But to imply that there is some kind of actual policy to deliberately not get promoted, really is a bit silly.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Many people use these forums to vent. It may not be objective but frustration rarely is.

Of course the Board want the best for NCFC. It is not Chase era stuff.[/quote]We are in enough trouble without people making stuff up though.Look how many legs were grown from some daft lad on twitter making up things about a Klose contract clause.

[quote user="king canary"]The rise of ''fan pundits'' is one of the most annoying things about modern football. On the first day of the season I tuned into Radio Norfolk only to hear Rob Butler and one of the lads from Talk Norwich having a chat- no insight, no real knowledge, just two random fans who someone has decided need a platform for their opinions.

Saying that the LYBP is still great although I agree it isn''t as good since Dan left.[/quote]
I agree with this Kingo. The message boards, and before that letters to the editor, used to be the place for ''fan pundits'' like us. Now the ones who are skilled wordsmiths have a greater platform and nine times out of ten they turn their nose up at the message board oiks like us. How many ''voices of the fans'' are there now? This coupled with what used to be newspapers and news sites being reduced to glorified message boards, because football clubs have their own news outlets so rarely  give exclusives to the press anyway, just gives us wall to wall opinion. I wonder how many folk turn to this message board first these days? Any news that''s out there seems to hit here before the main site and the range of opinions is more healthy.
Having said that BGH does bring something different to the party and as far as I''m aware never pretends to be the voice of the fans. But angry fans pick on anyone and he was in good company last night with Tom and young Jacob.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Many people use these forums to vent. It may not be objective but frustration rarely is.

Of course the Board want the best for NCFC. It is not Chase era stuff.[/quote]

Therein lies the problem. What the board ''want'' and the what the fans ''want'' are two different things. The whole situation is unsustainable as this season turns into a slow car crash.

As for the Chase era, it was the best the club has ever had. Very different people, but the clubs overall record under Chase''s far far superior. That is fact.

[quote user="komakino"][quote user="bristolcanary"]Many people use these forums to vent. It may not be objective but frustration rarely is.

Of course the Board want the best for NCFC. It is not Chase era stuff.[/quote]

Therein lies the problem. What the board ''want'' and the what the fans ''want'' are two different things. The whole situation is unsustainable as this season turns into a slow car crash.

As for the Chase era, it was the best the club has ever had. Very different people, but the clubs overall record under Chase''s far far superior. That is fact.[/quote]
Funny that he''s way behind the late greats Geoffrey Watling and Sir Arthur in our affections and yet his record is far superior. I''m guessing that''s because people take into account the challenges the boards have to deal with. Would Chase have done better than these if he''d inherited his own mess? Would he have done better than Watling and South if he''d had their gigs. I very much doubt it. 

Chase''s problem is that he didn''t adapt as the game and more importantly, money changed football. He was very much a man of his era, but despite his very obvious flaws, I pick him over the Stowmarket Two anyway.

[quote user="komakino"]Chase''s problem is that he didn''t adapt as the game and more importantly, money changed football. He was very much a man of his era, but despite his very obvious flaws, I pick him over the Stowmarket Two anyway.[/quote]Don''t forget the selling all our best players then doing a runner leaving us at the brink of administration, too...

[quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]Yes, one way of putting it.Another would be massively mismanaging things and relegating the club just when the money was starting to pour into the Premiership....

[quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]
You have a shoirt memory. It was an era that started sour. Had some great season''s in the middle. Then ended sourer still.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]Yes, one way of putting it.Another would be massively mismanaging things and relegating the club just when the money was starting to pour into the Premiership....[/quote]

You could argue the exact same thing happened last season (and the Prem 2013-14) under the current owners - the worst possible time to get relegated with the huge increase in money coming into the Premier League. Mismanagement by the current board? I''d say so.

The Chase Era was very much a mixed bag plus he blew it badly at the death and at just the wrong time as big money came into the game. Every Era requires rose coloured glasses and looks better in retrospect.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]Yes, one way of putting it.Another would be massively mismanaging things and relegating the club just when the money was starting to pour into the Premiership....[/quote]

You could argue the exact same thing happened last season (and the Prem 2013-14) under the current owners - the worst possible time to get relegated with the huge increase in money coming into the Premier League. Mismanagement by the current board? I''d say so.[/quote]Not really.We weren''t up to our eyes in debt with the bailiffs ready to padlock the gates at the ground...

[quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]

Didn''t Chase take out the loans on a short term basis? It was more a case of the terms of the loans were up and he''d run out of players to sell. Chase wasn''t the victim he was the perpetrator.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="morty"][quote user="komakino"]Yes he ran out of road and the banks called the debt in. Great era that ended sour.[/quote]

Yes, one way of putting it.

Another would be massively mismanaging things and relegating the club just when the money was starting to pour into the Premiership....
[/quote] You could argue the exact same thing happened last season (and the Prem 2013-14) under the current owners - the worst possible time to get relegated with the huge increase in money coming into the Premier League. Mismanagement by the current board? I''d say so.[/quote]

Not really.

We weren''t up to our eyes in debt with the bailiffs ready to padlock the gates at the ground...
[/quote]

No but the current board are just happy to play the "safe" game, the "just happy to be there every now and again" mantra.

It''s as simple as this, we massively squandered the Lambert legacy by persisting too long with Hughton in that disasterous 13/14 season. That''s bad enough, but then we were given another bite of the cherry last season and we squandered that too! What was it, 6 defeats on the trot over Jan/Feb? Again, by being too loyal to underperforming managers. Now it''s a chance we might not get again for a considerable amount of time. It''s all such a waste.

Get used to it Alex, it''s the Norwich City way. Eventually it all crumbles to dust. The key is sticking with it and living long enough.

The "Lambert legacy" was a club completely ill-prepared for long-term survival in the PL, with a squad of limited ability and none of the essential supporting infrastructure. Hughton''s achievement in keeping us up in his first season was the equal of anything that Lambert did for us, transforming the financial position. What has happened since then is Lambert''s continuing legacy, the only answer to which is a spell of rebuilding in the Championship. and an injection of fresh, young blood unwearied by the constant struggle against the odds which Lambert condemned us to.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]That''s funny. I guess the argument is that we were better off with Gunn. You couldn''t make it up.[/quote]Except, of course, you just have.

I strongly disagree that Hughton keeping us in the prem for one season equalled winning League 1, getting promoted at first time of asking in the Championship, and then an exciting season in the prem.

[quote user="Yellowhammer"]Got a feeling Alex will be sacked on Monday despite Delia and the rest saying they won''t ,seen it all before .[/quote]

I wish. I just don''t feel they have the guts to do it. I hope Moxey has had someone earmarked for a while, but I can''t see it. The club never learns from its mistakes, but what would you expect from a bunch of amateurs?

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Really Ricardo? Some distance from turning?

This week was a big turning point I thought in fan reaction. It was made clear they were there to support the team but not AN (with the the Norwich City''s army chant) and that was followed by a lot more discontent, continuous chanting and loader booing at the final whistle from all around me.

The board can be stubborn but as you said, once the crowd turns...[/quote]

The crowd turning can be a factor, but it isn''t the only one. Nor does the crowd have to turn for a manager to get the push. I assume, for example, that the Birmingham fans had not turned against Rowett.

Other factors include:

The availability of a credible internal replacement. That seems not to be the case with us now.

The availability of at least one credible outside candidate. That does seem to be the case here and now.

Is the CEO and/or chairman wedded to the existing manager, by virtue of having chosen them? Not in this case. The unknown factor (at least to me) is whether there is a split in the boardroom and if so whether Moxey, for example, already feels confident enough to push for a change.