Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Numpties

I must say, Lakey, you really are doing an excellent job of not posting in this thread.

Haven''t been on for few days

Imagine how shocked I was to see this thread!

LDC,

I think you are misunderstanding the point of booing, etc, therefore I shall share my thinking.

The unrest imo, is not aimed at the players, it is not aimed at the club, in fact it probably isn’t aimed at any single individual, it is done in an effort to show those with the power to make changes (the board) how the fans feel.

We all want the club to do well, we all want the club to perform as a team, and no doubt we all want the club to perform as a community entity that shows us (Norfolk) in a glowing light to the rest of the world.

The club after all is a community based facility, it is something that defines many people living in Norfolk (and outside of it), it is their identity, it is often the highlight of their week, what they look forward to add something even more exciting to their life.

Therefore, it is not like having a favourite restaurant, which goes downhill, so you chose another ‘favourite’ restaurant which serves up food to the standard you expect. If you are a true supporter then you stay through thick and thin, it doesn’t mean however that when you see changes that could be made to improve the lot of the club, your identity and affinity with it, it’s community spirit and how it presents itself to the rest of the world, that you should keep quiet. If you firmly believe that the Board (or majority shareholders) cannot see what you see, that they are damaging the club’s, and your identity, its impact on the community at large and its public face, then surely you are entitled to let them know of your feelings and the only way this can be achieved is by match day verbalisation.

To summarise, it is because the supporters of our club are passionate and they want to see it prosper, that they do what they do, not because they want to see it disgraced, they want success, which doesn’t always mean titles, etc. although it probably always means they want to see it perform at or above the sum of its parts. They deserve at least that courtesy. If that makes the supporters Numpties in your eyes, then so be it, it may be because you no longer live in the county the club represents, maybe you just don''t feel the pain anymore?

I think that''s all true Ray. But having analysed the supporters who boo how about analysing the ones who don''t? Or even the ones who clapped the team off. What do you think they want? Much the same?

I didn''t boo during the game and never would, but happy to give it a lung full at the end.

What did dissapoint me was the jeering of Seb and the guys in the crowd that were winding up a chant when he was about to make a pass back to Ruddy. Only thing that is likely to do is put him off, goes against supporting the club IMO.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think that''s all true Ray. But having analysed the supporters who boo how about analysing the ones who don''t? Or even the ones who clapped the team off. What do you think they want? Much the same?[/quote]

Nutty,

I think we all want the same, there are just different ways of showing. I would never boo, etc. but I fully understand why many do, and in this reply I was referring to the Delia chant and the booing at the final whistle. Anything directed at individuals is, imo, is uncalled for, unless of course there had been some form of behaviour that was totally unacceptable, e.g. players fighting amongst themselves.

The treatment of Seb has been shocking but I don''t question people''s right to do so. The villification of Nephew Tom on here today has been as bad but I don''t question people''s right to do it. I would however question any double standards on display about using the term arrogant...

I get that Ray. But having been here many times before I think we''re about to enter a period of intolerance to others. McNally, and I know you didn''t like him, but he was spot on about football being cyclical. We are probably better prepared for this than we would have been without that realization. As for the fallings out? It''s all about forgiveness when the good times come back because folk never say sorry.

Nutty,

I agree, but then it could be argued that Nephew Tom started it, it could be argued that his actions were vilifying the fans?

My reply was essentially to LDC in an attempt to explain that those that boo are just as, if not more, passionate than him about the club. I cannot imagine any fan does what he/she does to bring the club down, they do it because they want the best for the club (which is bigger than any of us, including Delia, et al). Those that did boo didn''t start a thread calling those that didn''t ''Numpties'' now did they? My message to LDC was, if you are going to live in a glass house best you keep your stones in your pocket.

[quote user="Ray"]Nutty,

I agree, but then it could be argued that Nephew Tom started it, it could be argued that his actions were vilifying the fans?

My reply was essentially to LDC in an attempt to explain that those that boo are just as, if not more, passionate than him about the club. I cannot imagine any fan does what he/she does to bring the club down, they do it because they want the best for the club (which is bigger than any of us, including Delia, et al). Those that did boo didn''t start a thread calling those that didn''t ''Numpties'' now did they? My message to LDC was, if you are going to live in a glass house best you keep your stones in your pocket.[/quote]

He has no glass left

Morty,

I was just attempting to put more understanding behind it, possibly it may help, I live in hope?

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

I was just attempting to put more understanding behind it, possibly it may help, I live in hope?[/quote]I wouldn''t hold your breath...

Morty,

I struggle to hold my beer these days, let alone my breath, no, actually that''s not true, the beer I can hold, the bladder now...

So the full modus operandi has been revealed - Deliberately wind people up, play the aggrieved party when in the minority of one, refuse to apologise for being wrong, flounce off......unfortunately I am sure there will be another lecture or six from the puffed up, self important LDC coming along soon.....

If people could kindly get off their keyboard warrior bandwagoning and judging people by their own low standards, they would see something else.  I tried to back off this thread because I didn''t want to cause of any more trouble, but it seems that has been transformed into something cynical.  There is no agenda, there is no game, there is nothing in my posts other than wanting the club/team to do well. You will never, ever convice me that barracking the manager during a game we are still in with a chance of getting a result is a good idea, whether it''s Hughton, AN or anyone else. You save it until after the match.  If you think that is a controversial opinion and can''t even consider that it might actually make some sense, then I am sorry for you.  And I would be saying it if I go to 3 matches in a season or 33.  Well done, you goaded me back to this thread again, but as I said before, the point remains, it is worth thinking about, you undermine your manager and you contribute to undermining the team - and doing it during a match is verging on ridiculous. 

LDC,

Below are words and phrases taken from your first and last post on this thread. May I refer you particularly to the last but one, in which you talk about judging people, considering everything else you wrote, I say again, physician heal thyself. Your entire initial post was judging others and, imo, used derogatory remarks. It is hardly surprising you get pelters back. From my standpoint, I would have more sympathy for the point you were attempting to make, if your initial approach to it was not so judgemental and dismissive of others deeply held feelings whilst telling them how they should behave according to the world of LDC.

a masterstroke of stupidity

we get the moronic chanting

if it wasn''t so pathetic

When are you going to learn? But then you obviously aren''t going to learn, are you

But you are fickle beyond belief

Suggest you are the ones who don''t have a clue about what you''re doing

your selfish expectations

judging people by their own low standards

then I am sorry for you.

Thanks for pointing that out Ray. [:)]  Inflammatory indeed. I was very angry during and after the match, which is why I was so emotive. In retrospect I should have waited until I had calmed down a bit before posting. My anger was at the crowd on Jerome and Naismith coming on - like I said, a reaction like the crowd had, was no use to the situation whatsoever.  So people were unhappy, but making such a negative response in a match we were still in with a shout of getting something from, just seems so self-destructive.  As for judging people - that people judge me by their own standards is plain to see. Those that play internet mind games can only see internet mind games in others. My posts are generally heart felt and with me, wysiwyg. If people can''t see that, that is their problem.  I was emotive in trying to get people to think a bit about what they do at a football match.  Pointless trying, I know, but in the scheme of things, this is a message board and I got my point across. Unpleasant it may have been, but it was a point I felt had to make.

....a point you had to make....but you weren''t at the game, and yes that is important. I don''t care what you say about whether you''d been there or not, for many (myself included) we had watched a very turgid display that was just waiting to boil over. All it needed was a spark to really animate the (majority) of the crowd....and AN duly obliged. He knew the reaction it would get but went ahead anyway so HE knew this so called negative effect on the players you mention, was going to happen....therefore your beef is also with AN.

You say it serves no purpose and were still in with a chance of a result in the game. Yes we were but it would''ve be a hell of a bigger chance if our ''manager'' had make the correct substitution. I don''t agree at all with the view it was the right change as what we needed was a BIG change, not the same formation with slightly different players as personnel wasn''t the problem. We didn''t look like scoring with that formation and this was all the more proven when Bassong should''ve scored playing as a 2nd striker.

I have never booed at a game and didn''t do so at the end on fri night but I am a very passionate fan and in that moment a message needed to put across that this was one ridiculously bad decision too far.