Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Numpties

To be honest, I don''t get to CR much these days but when I do, I can''t believe the pathetic atmosphere.

I guess it is a number of people discussing things, how was your breakfast, what beer did you drink before the game, where did you park.

To create an atmosphere, you have to be prepared to make a noise (I have a dreadful singing voice) in a fairly melodic way and sing OTBC at the right tempo and the right words. And you have to be prepared to leave the ground hoarse because you have done your best to create the perfect football atmosphere.

I''m not advocating going back to the 70''s and 80''s but in spite of the risk of violence, it did create a sharp atmosphere that led to chanting and singing. Terracing probably helped a great deal also.

Love them or hate them, go to Anfield and hear the scousers get behind their team from the start.

Of course if the game is poor there will be a reaction but that shouldn''t stop the noise.

And despite all the self congratulatory pats on the back, NCFC supporters are just too reserved.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]This is in the running for best thread of 2016, along with a few other Lakey ones for his brilliant comedy effect. Was the Rudd/De Gea thread a 2016 hit?[/quote]Just checked, and it was November 2015.

Getting back to the original point, though, and casting aside the question of whether LDC was simply voicing a firmly held conviction or was being deliberately obtuse, I suppose it comes down to what supporters can and should reasonably expect.

Looking at the medium term, we''re pretty much as we were 20 years ago apart from the fact that we are, seemingly, in a more sustainable position financially. Sure, we''ve had the peaks and troughs of promotions and relegations and there have been some seasons of genuine excitement (Lambert years and Wembley 2 seasons ago) but by and large we''ve probably not progressed much as a club, if at all.

Going back further, though, we''re clearly not performing to the level we did from 1972 to 1994: Wembley 3 times, Milk Cup win, finishing 5th, 4th and 3rd, 2 FA Cup semis, qualifying for Europe 4 times (in reality only once due to the ban). That said, we were, perhaps, not in the best state financially and we all know how it ended.

Nevertheless, the Club has clearly fallen back from those heights and, on the pitch, has become consistently mediocre. Probably for many who go week in, week out, what concerns them most is the apparent acceptance of that mediocrity and underperformance by those in positions of authority. Clubs of a similar size have shown that it is entirely possible to consolidate their position in the Prem and to actually compete with realistic chances of finishing in the top half and possibly getting in to Europe. We do not seem to show the same level of ambition and that is what drives the underlying frustration.

So, for the long-term good of the Club, what is better? Politely applauding in an insincere way another appalling performance or letting the team, manager and Board know that the current situation simply isn''t acceptable? For many, if they''re being true to themselves, it has to be the latter.

The point was about being lectured on how to support, from someone who is very rarely at a game.

morty wrote the following post at 18/12/2016 10:00 AM:

The point was about being lectured on how to support, from someone who is very rarely at a game."

Make sure you keep reminding people, not patronising to imagine that posters are unable to get "the point " themselves.

[quote user="VanWink"]morty wrote the following post at 18/12/2016 10:00 AM:

The point was about being lectured on how to support, from someone who is very rarely at a game."

Make sure you keep reminding people, not patronising to imagine that posters are unable to get "the point " themselves.[/quote]Oh hey thrush, how are you this morning?

Maybe Lakey is a bit embarrassed about the thread, and we should stop posting in it, so it sinks down the page.Oh wait, oops....

I said I wouldn''t comment on this thread anymore and am not embarrassed in the slightest. It clearly struck a nerve with people, so I backed off and any further comment from me would be pointless.  I wrote it, I stand by it. End of.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I said I wouldn''t comment on this thread anymore and am not embarrassed in the slightest. It clearly struck a nerve with people, so I backed off and any further comment from me would be pointless.  I wrote it, I stand by it. End of.

[/quote]Errrrrr.....

LDC

I said I wouldn''t comment on this thread anymore and am not embarrassed in the slightest. It clearly struck a nerve with people, so I backed off and any further comment from me would be pointless. I wrote it, I stand by it. End of.

Don''t make promises you can''t keep, springs to mind.

Extremely childish bumping this thread.I''m very disappointed in some of you.Very disappointed.

Yeah its only funny when other people do it.How do you think this thread has gone? Possibly your finest Pinkun hour?Course, you can''t answer because you said you weren''t posting in the thread any more....

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]In some corners there is no such thing as good or bad attention, only attention ! maybe just maybe an apology is just around the corner.[/quote]Good luck with that[Y]

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]In some corners there is no such thing as good or bad attention, only attention ! maybe just maybe an apology is just around the corner.[/quote]It''s not me who is keeping this thread going, seems to be some saddo orchestrating it.   I won''t apologies for the thread, but on reflection maybe "numpties" was a bit over the top.   A heading of  "Unsupportive behaviour" might have been more accurate.