Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Just How Much do we Miss Alex Tettey?

I''m assuming he went off at half time because he had an injury. Was anything said about it afterwards?

We just look a lot more vulnerable and disjointed when he''s not playing for us.

Tettey was on the end of a couple of suspect challenges in the first half that he limped away from, so I''m assuming it was (hopefully) precautionary taking him off.

I don''t necessarily think that it''s Tettey we miss per se, but the fact we replaced him with Pritchard, which left only Dorrans doing all the leg work in midfield, and that is why we were overrun in the second half.

Definitely miss him when not on the pitch, think might be the fact that its 3 games in a week and reasonably comfortable at 2-0 was possibly tactical to protect him, if was then almost backfired.

well it''s a fine balancing act and now we hopefully have a fresh tettey for the weekend and 3 points from tonight so it worked out well. a tad too close for comfort for me though!

Oh Dear God! [:O] See my post in the following thread as you''ve all clearly missed or chose to ignore the myriad others I''ve made on the subject for what seems like a millenium [;)] : [url]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/2/3417739/ShowPost.aspx#3417739[/url]

Surely Tettey for Mulumbu was the change that should have happened?

Bringing Pritchard on caused a chain reaction with other players then being shifted around (Howson & Murphy both changed positions) that it was always going to upset the midfield. Added to that we replaced Tetteys physicality with Pritchard we struggled to get a grip on the game after

Bringing Mulumbu on for Hoolahan seemed an obvious choice but by that stage it momentum had shifted towards Wigan & it seemed one way traffic. It was also an acknowledgment by Neil that he got it wrong at half time

Problem with Mulumbu has trouble running which helps if you are a professional footballer on £40000 a week

If Tettey is on the pitch, Wigan don''t score the goal they did tonight. Dorrans had no idea where Gomez was in that attacking move. Back four was in good position, Howson had moved wider to double-up on the wide-player and Dorrans was just not paying attention to the central zone that he had to cover. That wouldn''t happen with Tettey.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]If Tettey is on the pitch, Wigan don''t score the goal they did tonight. Dorrans had no idea where Gomez was in that attacking move. Back four was in good position, Howson had moved wider to double-up on the wide-player and Dorrans was just not paying attention to the central zone that he had to cover. That wouldn''t happen with Tettey.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]If Tettey is on the pitch, Wigan don''t score the goal they did tonight. Dorrans had no idea where Gomez was in that attacking move. Back four was in good position, Howson had moved wider to double-up on the wide-player and Dorrans was just not paying attention to the central zone that he had to cover. That wouldn''t happen with Tettey.[/quote]
And I''m not trying to denigrate Dorrans, who I actually like as a player, it''s just an example of how Norwich still don''t have a midfielder with the defensive instincts of Tettey. To be fair, AN seemed to recognise this which is why the club brought in Mulumbu in order to compete/back-up Tettey. The move clearly hasn''t worked out (yet) but the thought behind it was clearly correct.

There were a few clamours to drop Tettey and bring Pritchard in for him before the game last night, so we could see Dorrans and Howson central. I hoped that would be a strong enough combination too, but perhaps not in this case!

O''neil and Howson was ok because Gary had better defensive instincts than Dorrans, the question remains how can we accommodate Dorrans, tettey AND howson without pushing Jonny out wide?

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]There were a few clamours to drop Tettey and bring Pritchard in for him before the game last night, so we could see Dorrans and Howson central. I hoped that would be a strong enough combination too, but perhaps not in this case!

O''neil and Howson was ok because Gary had better defensive instincts than Dorrans, the question remains how can we accommodate Dorrans, tettey AND howson without pushing Jonny out wide?[/quote]

We shouldn''t try to accommodate all 3. Its ridiculous that we have bought a right winger who has looked quite good and he is being left out of the squad altogether while we "shoehorn" three central midfielders into the team.

Hope Tettey is not out for long. Very surprised we risked him give Neil says he got his injury pre-match in the warm up. Could cost us if he is now out for a few weeks because he played 45 minutes whilst injured.

Tettey is one of the team who will struggle to play two games in a week. Not sure, but I seem to remember that there was talk of his knees being a problem.

I completely agree Jim, AN would need to pick two, OR drop Wes (nooooooooo) and play Jonny behind Jerome. That might not be such a bad idea, Wes has been great in build up play but his finishing has been off since his golden patch leading up to the Blackburn game. That said he''ll probably score first on Saturday now!

I wouldnt play Howson in the 10 role, I ma not sure that makes the most of his abilities (box to box and carrying the ball), pritchard looks like a better option there for me.

This season I am increasingly thinking JH IS actually best suited to the narrow right attacking midfield position; he works well with pinto and works well defensively; he is able to carry the ball and can work the ball better from there (see murphys second goal) more often than when playing deep alongside Tettey. Howsons performance this season in the 10 role was very poor and his games as part of the two have not seen him at his best; indeed dorrans has played that better in the last couple of games.

In this system howson is not a wide player, more an old fashioned inside right, which I think allows us to make the most of him.

But absolutely we miss tettey