Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Two points off top spot

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Hudders lost. Newcastle are flying but we are in touch. It''s only September.

Panic or accept that it takes time to hit form?[/quote]Hark at you with your Maths degree!

What about neither, it''s not a question of form, it''s surely about organisation and doing the basics. Also would help playing people in their best positions , eg Howson wide right again!

[quote user="bristolcanary"]We are in the top four.[/quote]Okay, now you''re just showing off!

Two points off top well I am afraid after just witnessing that performance tonight then it will soon be ten points off top - outclassed by a Wigan side totally in the second half and how they did not equalise from two chances in the last minute is beyond me - this team for some reason has not yet clicked but they better get their act together fast - apart from a good win against a poor Blackburn I have not seen us play well

[quote user="bristolcanary"]fair comment Alfie regarding Howson but that was not my point.

We are in the top four.[/quote]a

You didn''t make a point, you asked a question

[quote user="Bomber"]Two points off top well I am afraid after just witnessing that performance tonight then it will soon be ten points off top - outclassed by a Wigan side totally in the second half and how they did not equalise from two chances in the last minute is beyond me - this team for some reason has not yet clicked but they better get their act together fast - apart from a good win against a poor Blackburn I have not seen us play well[/quote]

What a ludicrous statement. We''re 4th in touch and you''re saying we''d better get our act together. A long season is often about when you peak in form. Utd under Ferguson were atrocious early season at times but scraped results and hit form when it mattered. Can''t argue with results to date - give it a chance!

It''s all about how you finish, we need to peak from February onwards. I don''t think there is too much wrong but we must keep the ball better. One defeat and two points off the top is highly encouraging despite the ordinary performances.

What I meant is yes we are fourth from top two points behind the leaders but tonight we were two nil up after ten minutes and from then on we were second best by quite a margin - take into account how atrocious we were against Sheffield Wed and Birmingham and not very good by all accounts on Sat then I cannot see our luck holding out for much longer scraping the win - like I said how Wigan did not get the draw is beyond me as I can think of five near misses in the second half without all the other crosses coming into our box - getting their act together for me means playing as a unit and controlling a majority of the game considering we are supposed to have one of the better squads not running around like headless chickens being outplayed by a team fourth from bottom - some of the players tonite were flat on their backs at the final whistle which also suggests a fitness issue

we played well and lost plenty of times last season and look where that got us. points are all that matters at the end of the day. we didn''t have the right to just take 3 points from Wigan tonight, we went out there and earned them. Yes it isn''t 6-0 like Newcastle but I don''t really care. the simple fact is that if we win the rest of our games with unconvincing 1 goal margins, we get promoted.

I would suggest that they haven''t been issued with any fitness. YThough it would be great if they could. It was just a very muggy night, which can have a very tiring effect on many folk.If we are playing so badly then how come we are only a couple of points from the top ? If it had been 0-0 do you really think we would have sat off them as we did ? If they had been winning do you think they would have been chucking everything at us in the last ten minutes or so ?What should be of concern is the way some of our players are pulling up with what appear to be strains. That suggests ''over training'' if anything.At the moment we have £20m plus worth of players not playing (Brady, Naismith, Maddison, Oliveria, Jarvis, Canos). Look back at previous seasons and we have always started slowly. In fact I would suggest that we are ahead points wise at the moment than we were in previous promotion seasons.And two ponts a game would have us on 92 points come May.It will take time for the team to gel, however there is the added bonus that there is quality as back up. It will be completely different this season, with clubs not able to make up any ''losses'' (injury/suspension) by dipping into the loan market.

A few seasons back WBA ground their way to dozens of pretty ordinary looking 1-0 wins, and got promoted comfortably. It is not necessarily about winning 6-0, it is about getting the win and the points in the bag - if you can do it when not playing at your best it is still job done.

we''re 4th after having only really playing well in a about 3 games out of 7? (and not full games, a half here and a half there)......imagine what will happen if we do start playing well?.

Newcastle will stroll this league & will probably get close to 100 points and 100 goals.

I still don''t see much to fear so far for 2nd ??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]we''re 4th after having only really playing well in a about 3 games out of 7? (and not full games, a half here and a half there)......imagine what will happen if we do start playing well?.

Newcastle will stroll this league & will probably get close to 100 points and 100 goals.

I still don''t see much to fear so far for 2nd ??[/quote]Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going to get better and better.

Can''t see Newcastle losing again this season now - sounds ridiculous but they just look a different class to us. Last night was a big statement, and I thought was interesting compared to our result.

Agree re Villa, there squad seems poor but the front 4 will score for fun in this league

Rogue....I reckon it will be most interesting to see how we fare soon at Newcastle. I think we could produce our best performance in that particular game and certainly give them a run for the money. Agree though that last night was indeed quite a statement. Imagine if had been us and not QPR....absolute meltdown here!

Everyone tought ( dats oirish dat is) our win at Blackburn was a ''statement''. It was, of how poor Blackburn were , and how decent we can be....when given the chance.

Unfortunately we will not be ''given'' that chance very often this season, so we have to take it.

When Tettey went off last night, all was well, and Mulumbu was his obv replacement. AN, for some reason didnt bring him on and the shambles from then on was clear.

Two points off top, yes, but bigger games to come. not yet purring but enjoying being interested in the top of a table rather than the bottom.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going to get better and better.[/quote]

Looks like you''d better go off and support Villa then, if you think that highly of them and so little of us.  We will get better and better too and  as long as we do, we will match Villa this season and may even stay with Newcastle, espeacially if we can get points off them again.  We simply just have to keep winning matches.   It doesn''t matter a jot what other teams do as long as we keep winning - and we have the ability to do that.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going to get better and better.[/quote]

Looks like you''d better go off and support Villa then, if you think that highly of them and so little of us.  We will get better and better too and  as long as we do, we will match Villa this season and may even stay with Newcastle, espeacially if we can get points off them again.  We simply just have to keep winning matches.   It doesn''t matter a jot what other teams do as long as we keep winning - and we have the ability to do that.

[/quote]

Oh come on...

Surely you can see a front line made up up of 3 from Ayew, Kodija, McCormack & Gestede is a better bet than 1 from Jerome & Oliviera...

Its not thinking highly of them & so little of us, its acknowledging they have a better strikeforce.

And as said above, the rest of the squad is pretty weak (we have better midfield & defense)

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going to get better and better.[/quote]

[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="CanaryOne"]Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going to get better and better.[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh come on...

Surely you can see a front line made up up of 3 from Ayew, Kodija, McCormack & Gestede is a better bet than 1 from Jerome & Oliviera...

Its not thinking highly of them & so little of us, its acknowledging they have a better strikeforce.

And as said above, the rest of the squad is pretty weak (we have better midfield & defense)[/quote]

I''m sorry, I don''t rate Gestede. Kodija was overpriced and was nothing against us. McCormack, given his history is quite likely to get injured at some point, Ayew I don''t know, but what I do know is the strength we have in depth in our whole squad. We will improve and will get stronger as the season progresses.  If Jerome and Oliveira do the business with goals from Murphys, Canos and Pritchard, amongst others, then we will match anyone.  Gawping at Newcastle and or Villa and thinking they are so much better is just wrong imo. The end of the season will show who is the best and not now in September.  We are as good as anyone in this league.

"Villa will finish 2nd that frontline of Kodidja,Gestede,McCormack and

Ayew is mouthwatering  compare that to Jerome and Oliviera , its not

really even comparable is it . Thought Villa looked as if they would

score everytime they went forward against Forest and they are only going

to get better and better
"   CanarybinWell, they are at your rathole this weekend so hopefully they will be a bit more mouthwatering than they were tonight. And how mouthwatering is it that we have scored more than twice the goals Villa have after only 8 games ? Even your grubby little outfit is above them.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]

Agree re Villa, there squad seems poor but the front 4 will score for fun in this league
[/quote]For fun, eh?  Might be a bit better if they did for real instead..