Sign in to follow this  
Iwans teeth

Sammy clingan

Looking through the links between us and forest Sammy Clingans name popped up.

didn''t he leave us because he was to good to drop a division .

Well he now plays for Linfield at the age of 32 so that went well for him

He left us when we got relegated to league 1. Went to Coventry in the championship. Remember him playing for Coventry at carrow road the game after we clinched promotion to the prem. With the obligitry song "it could''ve been you".

To be fair just like David Marshall financially they probably had to be sold. Didn''t exactly have many players worth anything after Roeders & Gunns loans.

I think Clingan was one of those players made to look better than he was by the others around him performing or just being absolutely dire at the time.

He was well overated. Regularly lost his man but it was always Doc''s fault when he was left with three to mark. It was a poor old time for us but compared to the likes of Clingan Doc was one of our best players.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]A bit of me died the day he left us. <3[/quote]I''ve read a few of your posts and it shows [;)]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]The Doc had a certain something about him.[/quote]Was it the bear hugging? The lack of positional awareness? The ginger hair???[quote]A bit of me died the day he left us. <3[/quote]Whereas a large part of me celebrated because it meant we might actually play a proper defender instead.Couldn''t fault his commitment or desire, it was just his lack of playing ability that let him down, as he was virtually guaranteed to make a serious error pretty much every game...

Problem with those serious errors was that he was left trying to pick up 2 or 3 players all in goalscoring postions. People did used to worry about penalties but if they happened they were very rarely given and one that was given was later ruled out.