Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Canos and Naismith.

i think post cardiff AN confirmed that neither were injured and the omissions were tactical.

so you suggest we drop Jacob Murphy for canos then... I suppose I was at least surprised he wasn''t on the bench but we have pritchard there atm. eventually Wes and murphy will run out of steam and there may be a shuffle but we should use their good form while we can.

I''d expect Naismith to be loaned out come January to get him off the wage bill. Pretty big fall from grace to go from starting every week to not even making the bench.

When everyone is fit you''ve got Jerome, Oliveira, Lafferty, Brady, Naismith, Hoolahan, Pritchard, Jarvis, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy and Sergi Canos all vying for about 8 attacking places (at most) in the matchday squad.

So a minimum of 3 of those are going to miss out at any given time - possibly more if you want more midfield and defensive options.

On current form its very difficult to argue for Naismith''s inclusion in the 18 man squad let alone the starting XI.

[quote user="Jacko"]When everyone is fit you''ve got Jerome, Oliveira, Lafferty, Brady, Naismith, Hoolahan, Pritchard, Jarvis, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy and Sergi Canos all vying for about 8 attacking places (at most) in the matchday squad.

So a minimum of 3 of those are going to miss out at any given time - possibly more if you want more midfield and defensive options.

On current form its very difficult to argue for Naismith''s inclusion in the 18 man squad let alone the starting XI.[/quote]

And that''s without the more defensive midfielders: Mulumbu, Dorrans, Howson and Tettey. Three of those will probably be in every team AN picks.

Conclusion - we have a very strong midfield!

@LDC

I''m not sure who he''d replace on the bench though- if you don''t have Lafferty then we don''t have any cover for Jerome, Josh M has earned his place there, Pritchard is a new, big money signing and Mulumbu is our only backup central midfielder when we have Dorrans, Howson and Tettey all starting.

You could remove on of the back up defenders but I think you always need cover there.

This is true Kingo. Which is testament to the depth of our squad. Over the 9 months and 46 games they should all get a chance though.

Been impressed with Canos so far and figured he must be injured to have not featured in our last 2 squad selections; would''ve expected him to have been in the squad above Josh Murphy to be honest. Obviously he came on and scored against Cardiff so looks the right choice now. Sure Canos will get another chance soon enough though and that he''s still got a good part to play for us this season!

Naismith rightfully dropped for being consistently woeful which is fair enough.

Canos I guess you have to say has got to wait his turn. The Murphy''s have been on our books for a while, and to be fair have been coming up with the goods on the pitch, as well as working hard off it. Canos will get his chances, it''s a long season in the Champ.

I can''t help but think there''s a bit more to Naismith''s absence after the transfer window and alleged quote re his agent trying to get him a move to Sunderland. Perhaps an internal fine and suspension? Or he might have been protected from the home crowd, given his scapegoat status.

At the moment, the Murphys are ahead of Canos with goals and performances. If he works hard in training and gets a game in the Cup and U23 games, he''ll get himself onto the bench soon enough.

Like most, I''m keen to see Canos, Pritchard and Oliveira, but while we''re winning, its up to them to force their way in.

[quote user="ZLF"]i think post cardiff AN confirmed that neither were injured and the omissions were tactical.[/quote]

Nonsense. Naismith doesn''t want to be at the club and is a bad influence on the rest of the squad. Will never play here again because the crowd will quickly be on his back and this has a knock-on effect on the team, eg. Birmingham. Expect him to be sent to train with the U23s and that a deal will soon be tied up so that he can move on Jan 1st.

Would like to have seen more of Canos, but guess he has to wait his moment in the league, wouldn''t be surprised to see Naismith on the bench at Forest on Saturday, away from Carrow Road, TBF he got a lot of stick over the Birmingham fiasco, but so should Klose, Bennett etc that day.

Canos needs to hold his patience, especially now Maddison is out of the picture until January.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Would like to have seen more of Canos, but guess he has to wait his moment in the league, wouldn''t be surprised to see Naismith on the bench at Forest on Saturday, away from Carrow Road, TBF he got a lot of stick over the Birmingham fiasco, but so should Klose, Bennett etc that day.

Canos needs to hold his patience, especially now Maddison is out of the picture until January.[/quote]Canos could have been patient at Liverpool but wanted to leave to play first team football , has he really even been given a chance yet finds himself not even on the bench . Probably thinking should have signed for Brentford about now .

Well it was Bristol City who wanted him.

Anyway, Naismith will be outta here by January. At a huge financial loss. Canos will have to be patient and his chance will come. He will get a run out vs Everton next week and that''s his chance to stake a claim. Wes, Brady, Pritchard, Jacob, Josh, Canos & Maddison back in January Is a nice problem for Alex Neil to have.

Canos will be back in the line up soon enough i think but Naismith won''tI have a 6th sense about that... Because we are now back on championship money we just cant afford him, I bet he is the best paid plus gets bonus''s per game played and bonus''s per assist and every other stupid thing going, Sunderland couldn''t even match what we pay him!  It probably works out cheaper just to not play the guy and get rid in January, I''m not a fan of him anyway, so adios :)

I expect Naismith to come good - Canos will get his chances the same as the former through injuries, suspensions & tiredness. My name ISN''T Michael Caine.A lot of people know that [:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Can''t help feeling that there''s something more to this Naismith situation.[/quote]Are you suggesting that Neil persisted in signing him to ruin his career because of their altercation in Scotland, Nigel?

To be fair to Naismith - who I would agree has been poor - and who isn''t currently in the squad - it isn''t always just poor form that affects a persons working brief and potential, there are other matters and outside influences that can seriously deter a persons ability to do their best at work! He has been left out for a reason which I am given to understand is serious and warrants his need to be elsewhere rather than running about on a football pitch.

[quote user="City 2nd"]To be fair to Naismith - who I would agree has been poor - and who isn''t currently in the squad - it isn''t always just poor form that affects a persons working brief and potential, there are other matters and outside influences that can seriously deter a persons ability to do their best at work! He has been left out for a reason which I am given to understand is serious and warrants his need to be elsewhere rather than running about on a football pitch.[/quote]If that is true, it explains a lot. I would like him to come good too and it is disappointing the way people have treated him on here.  He is still trying to find his best form - of course - he struggled to start with at Everton so it could take time. Whatever issues he has off the pitch, I hope things improve for him. The manager has said Canos is not injured so Canos must be wondering if he has made a good choice, not having featured much yet - perhaps he is being made to realise he isn''t going to walk straight into the first team by right.  People castigated me over suggesting that Maddison had asked to have more first team work and told he couldn''t be promised that so asked to get away (even though the manager had indicated something along those lines) - quite possibly Canos has asked the same thing and is having a point made to him.  On ability alone you would think he would be at least on the bench. Wanting to be in the first team is natural - demanding it or expecting it is something else.  Yes, I''m speculating about Canos and Maddison, but then why else would Canos not be featuring at all if he isn''t injured.....unless he has other off field issues we don''t know about, like apparently Naismith has?

Canos thing makes you wonder a bit as he has used his few minutes very well for both ends of the pitch and while Jarvis is out we really dont have anyone else than Jacob that has successfully played right winger and even he is more fluent at right.

Ofc as long we keep using unbalanced 4-2-3-1 with Howson at wing there is no room for attacking winger.

Still as said you would think he would fit the bench for the situation where we trail and Jacob is out of fume.

Hard things to understand from couch as you dont know what happens in training etc.