Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Bennett or Martin?

Seems to be the most contentious selection issue at the moment.  My view is that the Martin/Klose partnership has more potential for development than any other combination.  We all know Martin''s distribution is good and the combined intelligence of those two should make for an excellent central defensive pairing.  Bennett is excellent too, but for me Martin shades it.  If talking partnerships, Bennett would be better as cover for Klose, rather than a partner for him, so if Klose injured or suspended, Martin and Bennett would be a good pairing.  But then that brings Bassong into the equation too.....

If we''re talking a limited defender role and that only then I think most people would say Bennett wins hands down.
In terms of a ball playing defender whilst also taking into account what they offer on the pitch in leadership, then Martin is the obvious choice. Just look at the expressions of the players when Russ / Howson scored on Saturday.
For me it''s Martin every time, but I completely understand those who prefer Bennett for the reasons above.

It''s certainly nice to have the 4 CBs (Yes I''m including Bassong) competition, Bennett is the future ultimately and Martin can push him to improve I think. 

[quote user="morty"]I just looked at Bennett''s wiki, and he was an Ipswich Town youth player.Never knew that.[/quote]
Yeah so many people seem unaware of it which is weird, it''s usually the kind of thing that sticks to a player! 

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Martin every time.

Bennett lacks composure and under pressure resorts to aimless hoofing.[/quote]
My main issue is his hoofing when he''s not under pressure. Especially when we''re focused on primarily a possession retention game.

[quote user="Ginja"]It''s certainly nice to have the 4 CBs (Yes I''m including Bassong) competition, Bennett is the future ultimately and Martin can push him to improve I think. [/quote]

I''m not sure you can call Bennett the future - hes 26 & has been here for 4 1/2 years. Surely if he now finds himself out of the team having finally forced his way in to the starting XI he would be looking to leave?

[quote user="hogesar"]If we''re talking a limited defender role and that only then I think most people would say Bennett wins hands down.

In terms of a ball playing defender whilst also taking into account what they offer on the pitch in leadership, then Martin is the obvious choice. Just look at the expressions of the players when Russ / Howson scored on Saturday.

For me it''s Martin every time, but I completely understand those who prefer Bennett for the reasons above.

[/quote]

Basically I agree - last time in the Champs, we were able to get away with Martin''s defensive weakness at CB which was compensated for by his leadership role, superior ability in playing the ball out of defence, and also chipping in with a few goals.  I think with Klose alongside him, we''d have a stronger central defence than last time in the Champs.  Bennett and Bassong then provide good cover.  So I''d be happy to go with that same approach.  AN needs to make his decision and stick with it now IMO (aside from enforced changes like Saturday, obv).

Martin is not good enough to play CB at Prem level... hopefully we get promoted and we''d then need to get in an upgrade at CB.  But getting there is what it''s about now and although I think Bennett is a better CB as a defender, Martin''s all-round contribution means he''s the better choice right now for me.

Given our recent vulnerability to crosses, I would give Bennett a slight edge, and I like his no-nonsense style. It is to be hoped that he will learn from Klose.

Martin. Because he can do something well.

Bennett isn''t physically dominant nor does he offer much with the ball. At least with Martin you know he can use the ball a bit even if he may not dominate.

I would tend to compare Bennett with Turner. And Bennett is still some way off as being as good as Turner before injuries and age took hold.

Bennett for me too although only just and I accept Martin is a better passer, particularly when under pressure.

IMO Bennett is better in the air and we are vulnerable to that sort of attack. Also you do tend to see more get it wide and cross it in football in the championship.

But I think focussing on this or that individual distracts attention from the real root of our defensive problems, which is our collective defending and in particular inattention in midfield -- summed up by the after-match comment of a shocked Naismith following the 4:5 loss to Liverpool: "If eleven men can''t stop a team scoring for just two minutes, you''re in trouble".

As they don''t play a huge man up top i expect Martin to keep his place at centre half.

Olsson back at left back.

Pritchard in for Dorrans.

And yet, Martin was chosen when Cardiff had Rickie Lambert up front? Or was that Bennett being ''dropped'' as a result of the Birmingham game? moot point though, as we ended up with Bennett there anyway after Brady went off, and he dealt with Lambert pretty well.

Must admit, I''m surprised by all the pro Martin comments on here, so far, as normally he is subjected to ridiculous abuse.

I agree with Martin being selected, his is a more cultured centre back and, as has already been mentioned, can get away with more errors in the championship.

IF we are promoted again though we will definitely need a new defender of the same quality of Klose (with either Bennett or Martin still being around as cover)

Martin''s mobility makes him a better partner for the immobile, but positionally excellent, Klose. 
Martin''s ability on the ball makes him a better fit for AN''s possession-oriented system.
Bennett is overrated.

Bennett and if not Bennett Bassong and if not Bassong Turner , only way Martin should get a game is at right full back and then only if there are injuries .

In truth there isnt much between any of the not Klose CBs.

My marginal preference is for Bassong particularly at this level. However since Klose injury the bassong / klose partnership has not been seen even though he was klose original partner - leaving a record of 4 games played, 1 win, 1 draw, 2 defeats & 7 goals conceded. It a partnership position and I suspect that Klose feels martin or bennett is a better fit for him.

For me bennetts lack of concentration, poor distribution and lack of positional sense dont outweigh his aerial strength;

Martin is not perfect but at least he does show more composure and is probably better at covering when we play a high line. Add in better passing and a regular goal scorer.

As such Martin back in the middle tonight.

Bennett, for me the better defender. But AN prefers Russ Martin thats obvious, in which case stick with him and get a settled back four as far as possible.

Personally i''d like to see a youngish centre back brought in during the Jan or the summer as it feels it''s time to start moving on from this set of centre backs.

Both good players and both quite capable of holding down a CH place for us, good management to keep players on their toes by changing things around, not too often agreed, but letting players know that their place isn''t nailed on is always a good strategy.

Bennett has been awful all season but as he is not one of our scape goats he gets away with it. Had Bassong defended like Bennett has this season he would have been ripped apart.

Need Ruddy back in goal then we wont need to worry about crosses where we are conceding on a regular basis