Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Good Teams Play Badly and Win...............

Playing badly and winning isn''t the sign of a top team, it''s the sign of a lucky team that''s faced an opponent that was either too poor, or too naive to take advantage of the top teams poor form and capitalise on it.

It''s not even about playing badly and winning. It''s about finding a win whatever the situation.  It seems to me that by fimding a way to win the other night, we showed our character and determination to succeed.   You can call it "match play" or whatever.  Tennis players do it - they find a way to win even when they are up against an inspired lesser opponent who is playing above themselves.  Finding a way to win - and for the last two matches we did. That, imo, is a very, very good sign.

LDC

"Finding a way to win - and for the last two matches we did. That, imo, is a very, very good sign. "

It''s more about finding a way not to throw a game away in our case.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC

"Finding a way to win - and for the last two matches we did. That, imo, is a very, very good sign. "

It''s more about finding a way not to throw a game away in our case.[/quote]

Just goes to show how different attitides to the same situation can give a totally different slant on things. A win is a win is a win, or it used to be, anyway.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC

It''s more about finding a way not to throw a game away in our case.[/quote]Agreed.The last two games we have really put ourselves under very unnecessary pressure, either through complacency or lack of focus.But winning breeds confidence, so hopefully we''ll see these early season jitters slowly melt away.

Both us & Newcastle were winning comfortably at half time on Tuesday.

We suddenly seemed to go back into our shell (caused by the Tettey injury mainly) & invited Wigan back into the game. Newcastle scored another 4 goals.

Is it a difference in mentality between the 2 teams?

I honestly believe that at 2-0 up midway through the first half that it wasn''t beyond us to put 6 past Wigan, who were offering nothing except for the odd long ball toward Grigg

Rogue Baboon.

it could be a difference in mentality as you suggest.

Or it could be that Newcastle bought in some new firepower for this season. Their goal difference to other teams around them in the top 6 suggests the latter theory.

Agreed. Good teams sometimes play badly and win.... but it does not follow that a team playing badly and winning luckily is a good team. Without doubt we have some very good players - perhaps the strongest overall squad I have ever known - but they are not yet a convincing team and haven''t been since Wembley, now almost 18 months ago.

AN is increasingly frantic in the dugout and is in the players ears constantly throughout every game. He often overthinks team selections and substitutions against much weaker opponents instead of letting other teams worry about us. Players pick up on this anxiety and lack real team composure and belief.

I''m glad somebody else mentioned how frantic he has become. The amount of whistling was crazy Tuesday night - however it did get me thinking

Is the whistling a good thing? There''s 11 players out there, how do they know who he''s whistling at? Is it not going to distract every player as they try and figure out who it''s aimed at?

I''m sure some will say I''m morning for the sake of it however...

Some of you really are overanalysing this, too much whistling is putting the players off ? I hate to think what crowd noise does to them !

Some absolute tosh on this thread.

What exactly is a ''good'' team or a ''good'' win?

If we play pretty stuff but come away without points, the trolls come out and moan. We see this every time we bravely fail in the PL.

If we edge to a nervy 3 points against a ''lesser'' team or scrap hard for a single goal win, a different bunch of keyboard warriors trap on about how poor we are.

Be great to win every game 6-0 but that''s not always possible is it?

And that''s one of the best things about being a Norwich fan.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]Some absolute tosh on this thread.

What exactly is a ''good'' team or a ''good'' win?

If we play pretty stuff but come away without points, the trolls come out and moan. We see this every time we bravely fail in the PL.

If we edge to a nervy 3 points against a ''lesser'' team or scrap hard for a single goal win, a different bunch of keyboard warriors trap on about how poor we are.

Be great to win every game 6-0 but that''s not always possible is it?

And that''s one of the best things about being a Norwich fan.[/quote]We have to win and we have to win convincingly,with a clean sheet, playing very entertaining football,without

unpopular players like Martin, Naismith and Whittaker playing and the substitutions have to have the nod of approval by fans. Then,and only then,will some be a little bit happier.

[quote user="Herman"][

"We have to win and we have to win convincingly,with a clean sheet, playing very entertaining football,without

unpopular players like Martin, Naismith and Whittaker playing and the substitutions have to have the nod of approval by fans. Then,and only then,will some be a little bit happier".[/quote]

Well seeing as you mention it yes most of the things in your list would be quite nice..........win convincingly, keep a clean sheet, entertain, decent substitutions which change a game now and then and actually make a positive difference to the result. We haven''t seen a lot of any of those in the last year and still aren''t.

[:D]May I suggest that "Lambo" goes and supports Barca if he wants a perfect footballing experience.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Barca! Barca??? Don''t get me started on Barca.

Lost 2-1 at home to Alaves on Saturday.

Barca are in crisis. Crisis I tell you![/quote]
Lakey knew[;)]

As someone said earlier on the thread - the good thing about playing badly and winning is that the confidence gained just from winning can then lead on to playing well and winning!