Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

fitness levels

Some mentioned this on canary call and I agree at the moment it is a major factor in our mixed performances as we seem to run out of steam in the last 30 mins. The following have had time out or mixed pre seasons and are not firing on all cylinders yet Oliveira dorrans tettey Brady Pritchard pinto martin Olsson quite a high proportion of the squad and Wes is 34. If and when they build up better fitness levels we can have grounds for optimism

Neil mentioned last night that some of the players were struggling due to fitness I think he meant lack of stamina

You couldn''t make it up could you?

We are getting loads of injuries I suspect that is due to poor habits in training

It is what it is, and is the consequence of injuries.But in Jerome''s case I would say it is because he puts 100% into every game.

But why are we gettin so many injuries?

Olsson has just come back from injury, Brady is now out injured, Pinto taken off twice at half time due to injuries this season already - these are just the 2 full back positions

Is it down to the way we play with most of the width coming from the full backs? Are they literally being pushed to hard?

As for Jerome, I said in Saturday he should have been taken off after 75mins to protect him more than anything - he had already missed a game due to injury and look how that turned out

games come around thick and fast in the championship , 2 games in quick succession seems to have worn the lot out!

maybe when olive comes into the fold the plan is to swap and change when one is kerrnacked .

fitness does seem a problem though , injuries a plenty too

Wasn''t this the same last season as well though? That''s why we let in so many late goals. At this level we''re just about holding on but at PL level we couldn''t.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]As for Jerome, I said in Saturday he should have been taken off after 75mins to protect him more than anything - he had already missed a game due to injury and look how that turned out[/quote]Didn''t we have no subs left at that point?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]As for Jerome, I said in Saturday he should have been taken off after 75mins to protect him more than anything - he had already missed a game due to injury and look how that turned out[/quote]Didn''t we have no subs left at that point?[/quote]

Was referencing the Cardiff game on Saturday, taking him off to give him a breather for the Wigan game

Instead he''s had 2 90min games in 4 days, but putting in 110% effort like he normally does leaves him open to burnout

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Some mentioned this on canary call and I agree at the moment it is a major factor in our mixed performances as we seem to run out of steam in the last 30 mins. The following have had time out or mixed pre seasons and are not firing on all cylinders yet Oliveira dorrans tettey Brady Pritchard pinto martin Olsson quite a high proportion of the squad and Wes is 34. If and when they build up better fitness levels we can have grounds for optimism[/quote]Well, it certainly isn''t down to substandard coaching & physiotherapy like you and others on this thread are suggesting, YP [:@]

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]As for Jerome, I said in Saturday he should have been taken off after 75mins to protect him more than anything - he had already missed a game due to injury and look how that turned out[/quote]Didn''t we have no subs left at that point?[/quote]

Was referencing the Cardiff game on Saturday, taking him off to give him a breather for the Wigan game

Instead he''s had 2 90min games in 4 days, but putting in 110% effort like he normally does leaves him open to burnout[/quote][Y]To be fair though, bring Laugherty on?

Not ideal, but Lafferty for 15 minutes when 2-0 up** against Cardiff v. Jerome missing for 90minutes like against Birmingham

Its a sacrifice we will have to make at some points

**obviously with hindsight 2-0 wasn''t that comfortable...

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Not ideal, but Lafferty for 15 minutes when 2-0 up** against Cardiff v. Jerome missing for 90minutes like against Birmingham

Its a sacrifice we will have to make at some points

**obviously with hindsight 2-0 wasn''t that comfortable...[/quote]Yeah, with hindsight, theres maybe a point there.Not sure Jerome faded enough last night to balance the deal though.Tricky one...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Maybe Jerome would have been subbed last night if we hadn''t have needed to make two changes at half-time.[/quote]What''s your take on Pritchard for Tettey, professor? You know - the bit where two defensive-midfielders should play within a workable 4-2-3-1 [:|] 

[quote user="morty"]Two defensive midfielders? At home? In this division?Seriously?[/quote]Is having two attacking fullbacks with three attacking midfielders in front of two defensive-midfielders and an attacking player up front too defensive then?I''d suggest not - at home - or away - in any f*cking Division.Neil should drop the 4-*2-3-1 sooner rather than later mind. *2 = DMC''s

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="morty"]Two defensive midfielders? At home? In this division?Seriously?[/quote]Is having two attacking fullbacks with three attacking midfielders in front of two defensive-midfielders and an attacking player up front too defensive then?I''d suggest not - at home - or away - in any f*cking Division.Neil should drop the 4-*2-3-1 sooner rather than later mind. *2 = DMC''s[/quote]Who was the other DM other than Tettey, last night?I would say it was more like 4-1-4-1.Hughton was pilloried for playing 2 DM''s at home. Fair enough away, to a far superior team, but rarely at home.

I don''t really get what your talking about Jools. I thought the change that hurt us was Pinto. Losing Tettey just compounded that problem. And I also am not sure what Mulumbu is for or where he would fit in to this team. People seem to think he''s an alternative to Tettey but I don''t see that.

I agree Nutty, losing Pinto completely chopped down any width we had - Martin is great at defending and okay going forwards, but he''s not a wide outlet like Pinto.

For me it would have made sense to adjust the system completely given the injury to Pinto by changing to 4-4-1 or whatever was necessary. We seemed to completely lose our shape after the HT subs. Howson and Dorrans seemed to be doing pretty much the same job, as did Hoolahan and Pritchard. As for Mulumbu, I actually thought he did okay after coming on, right up until the moment where he completely fluffed a chance we should certainly at least worked the keeper from which allowed Wigan to go down the other end and score... Dorrans seems more a natural alternative to Tettey. The truth is we look poor without Tettey in the middle, and we look poor when we have no width.

Stemming Norwich''s attacks seem pretty straightforward to me at the moment as Wigan shew in the second half, push 3 up front and keep two men out wide which means our full backs can''t get forward and we have no width.

Where''s your plan B Mr Neil? :)

On the fitness front this season, we''ve looked tired but we''ve also not been able to use sub''s on a tactical basis, almost every game we''ve lost at least one sub due to injury, often two.
I don''t see anything to worry about right now.

[quote user="hogesar"]On the fitness front this season, we''ve looked tired but we''ve also not been able to use sub''s on a tactical basis, almost every game we''ve lost at least one sub due to injury, often two.
[/quote]

Is that not a worry in its own right though?

The fact we have lost Pinto (twice), Olsson & Brady from the 2 full back slots alone in the first 7 games suggests something more than just bad luck?

I cant remember any other times we picked up so many injuries in such a short period of time

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="hogesar"]On the fitness front this season, we''ve looked tired but we''ve also not been able to use sub''s on a tactical basis, almost every game we''ve lost at least one sub due to injury, often two.
[/quote]

Is that not a worry in its own right though?

The fact we have lost Pinto (twice), Olsson & Brady from the 2 full back slots alone in the first 7 games suggests something more than just bad luck?

I cant remember any other times we picked up so many injuries in such a short period of time[/quote]I think it is just bad luck that we have lost players that occupy the same position.And really, we''re losing them to reasonably minor knocks, short term.Really to say the only long term injuries we have on our books are Mcgrandles and Jarvis (remember them?) isn''t too bad.

As AN said in the interview we have a number of guys out there who are not fully match fit, on a hot night it''s going to show in the fatal stages of the game. We''ve been really unlucky with injuries and its bound to have an effect!

Absolutely no problems with the fitness levels today. Totally bossed the whole second half. Supports what Alex Neil said after the Wigan match, i.e. that we had a number of players in that game who were just lacking a bit of game time.