Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

WORTHINGTON SHOULD HAVE TRYED TO STICK WITH 4-4-2. PLUS POOR TEAM SELECTION AGAIN

Well after listerning to the Millwall game it is quite clear that the diamond doesn''t suit Norwich City. What was Worthington thinking using the diamond. Why didn''t he just keep things simple we had injurys in the team, so he should of just kept things simple. Norwich don''t have enough players like Safri for the diamond. Norwich need to use the width more in all games in general for Dean Ashton''s sake. Norwich just didn''t pass the ball around play football. Why did Worthington opt for Jarrett & Charlton in the middle ? What has Jarrett done to earn his place in the team? they never have played together. Obviously we missed Safri, but i thinkthat perhaps either Marney or Charlton could play that role in a 4-4-2 while Safri is injured and i''d also have Brennan alongside as he is nice and solid & compact. Huckerby shouldn''t have been playing on the right obviously on the left. It should have been Ian Henderson after all this is the ideal chance for him with the injurys we have. 

Dean Ashton most definitely should have taken the penalty, to boost his confidence after his last miss i''m sure that he''d have put todays one away given the chance. N

Once again Worthington''s tactics were crap.  Worthington goes from one extreme to the next i can''t understand his decisions for his team selection. My view on Worthington is that he started off with Norwich as a coach and from there onwards he''s never got team selections right theres always a hole somewhere in his teams. I think the board should bring in another manager and keep Worthington as a coach. My team to face Millwall would have been.

GREEN

COLIN     DAVENPORT   DOHERTY    DRURY

HENDERSON      JARRETT         BRENNAN     HUCKERBY 

ASHTON        McVEIGH         

The players sort out penalties between themselves. Are you saying Ashton should have taken it even if he didn''t fancy it?

I''d have taken a draw before the game given the injuries anyway.

As I posted elsewhere - it is less the formation and more the choice of and placing of the personnel that was so wrong - 6 defenders and 3 attackers in a side is so obviously mis-balanced its no wonder we saw what we did this afternoon.

A loan signing is needed in midfield and soon as thepost match interview suggested that it would be touch and go whether Marney or Hughes would be fit in time for Tuesdays game...

OTBC

don''t agree with you there herb, i wouldn''t have taken a draw as when worthy pulled his finger out and chaged it to 4-4-2 we were all over millwall, should have done that from the start. also hucks was wasted on the right. even from the beginning our main chances were when hucks drifted out to the left. he should have brought on hendo at half time, for a good 20mins hucks went missing down the right. worthy got it wrong, at least he admitted it in the post match interview!

One other point, it was written in the stars that marshall would save that pen after all the stick we gave him. tipical!

Before posting maybe you should think, for instance asking what Jarrett has done to get in the team, well being the only fit central midfielder may have something to do with it. Playing Brennan in the middle would yield the same as Charlton, they''re both left-backs

I think it was fairly obvious to anyone at the match that the selection/placements in the first half were entirely wrong - Jarrett widw right ffs?? The shame is that it took Worthington 45 mins to change it. As soon as he did we started to gain control of the game.

This seeming lack of obvious perception/bloody mindness has to be the biggest worry about W.

Yes the formation was wrong today and you could drive a tractor through the middle of the park,but when millwall went down to ten men why didn''t NW put Hendo on the right move hucks to the left and stretch the millwall side????.no he waited till 5 mins till the end????????.

[quote]don''t agree with you there herb, i wouldn''t have taken a draw as when worthy pulled his finger out and chaged it to 4-4-2 we were all over millwall, should have done that from the start. also hucks wa...[/quote]

You''re spot on. Why should we accept that, when on the second half showing we could have won. Again, the manager has made a mistake which has cost us points and no one can blame injuries because, correct me if I''m wrong, but weren''t the players who lined up in the second half the exact same players from the first. How anyone can be happy with a point at home against the team 2nd bottom is beyond me. Really very depressing

When will the Worthy supporters accept that the man just hasn''t got a clue.  Yesterday he probably used page three of the Howard Wilkinson book of tactics.  He adopted a formation in the first half presumably to baffle the opposition, unfortunately it also baffled his own players. 

Jarrett played on the right instead of in the centre,  Huckerby played on the right where he is less effective,  Charlton and Brennan seemed to try and occupy the same spot, Ashton was moved over to the left again and given loads of high balls.  The whole thing was a bloody shambles and from a man who supposedly has one of the highest UEFA coaching badges

How many more times must we listen to after match comments such as ''we kept a good shape'', ''the energy levels were high'', ''we passed the ball well at times'' or ''we didn''t pass the ball as well as we can''.  We never hear about individualism, flair, excitement, enjoyable to watch and so on. 

We are no different to other clubs who have injuries and have to rely on having a strong squad.  Even his use of substitutes was as usual pathetic, they have 10 men and he gives Henderson 6 minutes to get a winner.  If Worthy wants to understand how the fans really feel he should sit amongst them for the next home game.  Yesterday even the crowd found it difficult to sing and chant for long periods, gone were the Worthington''s Green Army, Delias Barmy Army. 

I don''t care what the die hard Worthy fans think, as far as I am concerned the current players are good enough to get us out of this league, all they are missing is the right manager.  They need someone who plays them to their strengths, rather than relies on keeping a good shape.  They look like a squad of players who are not enjoying their football.  There is no passion in their play, but there again they see their manager standing on the sidelines with his arms folded for the full 90 minutes.

I for one would remove Worthy and Livermore ( never really know what he does other than agree with Worthy), and promote Foley, Webb, and Williams.  Foley from what I have been told has the respect of the players, and Webb / Williams seem to have had some success with the youth team / reserves.  If we have to miss out on promotion this season then so be it, but it has to be better than watching Worthy continue to destroy good players.  Let us not kid ourselves this manager insists he knows best, and no player is able to challenge his decisions and hope to stay in the team.  We also know what he thinks of the supporters, some of whom have been watching football before Worthy started playing himself.

Well put Silver Fox I agree with every word that you have penned. Yes Barclay End Boy, we do have plenty of players on the injury list but we also have one of the smallest squads in the Championship so whose fault is that? Mr Worthington I suspect.

So the "Worthington out" movement stirs again, this time on the back of a hugely disappointing home draw. The man is simply the most frustrating manager that we have ever had and it really is time for him to go before he kills off large parts of the fan base with his actions.

agree with you there fatman, sitting there before kick off and looking at the starting lineup, hands up who thought it was going to work? It was only gonna be a matter of time before we concided we had no midfield! (poor OLD charlton!)  why experiment with the formation yesterday when your ten points clear at the top you can experiment. Our biggest weapon has been for the last two or so years is with hucks down the left move him and it DOSEN''T work, we lose virtually all threat to the opposing team, simple! and surprise surprise when he changed it we were all over millwall ( still took him 45mins!)

Well done worthy.

"They look like a squad of players who are not enjoying their football.  There is no passion in their play"

Spot on Silver Fox.  Their body language and whole manner of play seems to indicate a team that''s not happy and at times not at all clear on their individual and \ or collective roles (Jim Brennan seems especially unclear on his role at the moment). I don''t know what it is, or how to fix it but there seems to be a fundamental problem somewhere in the club. I don''t know whether changing the manager is the answer, it worked for Palace in their promotion season and I increasingly think Worthy may have taken us as far as he can (we undoubtedly owe him a lot but can''t trade on that for ever), problem is who would replace him ? We ought to be a reasonably attractive proposition with decent players and board but good managers cost big money and would they want to come here ?

I think we have the players, we need to get the spirit and passion back, and that doesn''t necessarily mean just having a high work rate, but getting on together, playing for each other, encouraging each other, apart from Andy Hughes I don''t see too much of that going on. Maybe the squad needs to go away together for a few days bonding or something (needs to be properly managed to avoid a Dickov type situation obviously).

Whatever needs doing needs doing quickly, I for one can''t take too many more performance like Saturday''s first half and I''ve yet to see a really entertaining game at Carrow so far this season.