Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Is the modern supporter just more fickle?

Newcastle went into today having won 6 in a row. At 2-0 down, with 20 minutes to go, their home supporters have started booing.

Has the "modern fan" become an entitled consumer who boos at the end if a game if they don''t "get their money''s worth"?

What is "your money''s worth" in the context of a football match?

In the modern world, there is a sense of entitlement and heightened expectation everywhere sadly.

I bet Newcastle fans are better at booing than we are - we can''t even get that right.

The modern supporter is a lot fatter, that is certain. There''s this one chap that the stewards have to push through the turnstiles because he is so fat. He comes out the other side like a champagne cork.

They did try that once, but they had to then wait another fiuve minutes for him to stop wobbling. I think he is up the River End now. They open the big gates to let him in. If you are looking from the Barclay you can see one side of the stand is lower than the other.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]It''s reassuring that you know why they were booing.

I think after 6 straight wins, booing after 65 minutes is a little bit poor.[/quote]

Half time is when the booing should start.

65 minutes is for the fickle fan.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]They are booing because their team have already lost 3 games out of 8. That is not promotion form..........[/quote]actually it isif only that they have won the other 5, not dropped points on drawn games.... and currently their form would have them finishing with 86 points, probably enough for automatic promotion

If it was automatic promotion form, then they would currently sit in the top 2.

Of course, I have no idea Katie, it was a cheeky dig at not giving a stuff if Newcy fans are booing after 5 straight wins. More fool them, let them implode.

that''s how some clubs have increased their support/attendances ie fans swapping overI think it''s called the fickle down effect

I don''t like the booing or the bad language. It shows a poor mind.

Language has always been bad across some sports however. My wife tells stories of attending Rugby League with her father 70 years ago when he would say to other spectators " Now lads watch your language there are young girls here!"

A problem at Norwich seems to be the casual supporter who has bought someones season ticket seat especially in the "Barclay". He seems to think he has bought the right to swear and boo with his ticket. Maybe a warning could be given with the ticket of the standards expected within the ground of the casual visitor.

I remember a notice on the subject of swearing being handed out at a Perth Glory match in Western Australia to spectators in the "Shed" who were mainly English. Perth Glory at the time was owned by an Italian.