Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Championship or PL ?

I''m quite enjoying being a big fish in a small pond, rather than the other way round.Yes we need to be in the PL to be able to fund our ''big fish'' status in the Championship, but I don''t miss the hype and general shyte of the PL.It is in some ways it can be a very poisoned chalice as clubs get themselves into an awful financial mess trying to stay there. So much so that many simply implode when relegated and drop dramtically.I very much doubt that we would have enjoyed anything like the day at Wembley or giving the binners their usual ''slap ''had we have stayed in the PL.Yo yo we are, but I know which yo I prefer.

[quote user="Tom Daft"]Yo yo we are, but I know which yo I prefer.[/quote]Yeah but tomorrow you will be somebody else so what would they prefer ?

Personally, it''s the Premier League for me. I want my team playing in the highest league possible, playing the best in the country. I know we''ll win less, but if we can get a team playing competitively, and springing a few surprises, I find the Premier League highly enjoyable. Since watching Norwich regularly from 09/10, my favourite season remains 11/12 under Lambert in the PL. That season I thought we had a chance in every game, and the 2-1 at Spurs and 3-3 at Arsenal were just so fun and memorable. If we get promoted, and get the balance right, we''ve got a good squad to build on to be competitive in the Premier League. This is why I found it vital to keep Alex Neil, we can really build something if we give him time.

Without competitive investment we are at the peak of our powers ... a yo yo side with the chance of staying up if enough richer rivals screw up or we have a super manager.

The Championship is only enjoyable when you''re winning. The games and goals come thick and fast. Miss the promotion boat however and it can quickly become a gruelling and cruel slog.

Whereas the PL is not a "gruelling and cruel slog" ?It comes down to whether you want to watch City, or the opposition I suppose.

Its not that many seasons ago that we were a struggling championship side culminating in relegation to league 1. By and large Norwich have been a yo yo club on and off for 40 years and the top flight rewards often fund the championship success. If we get stuck in the championship for quite a few seasons we become a struggling side. We have had some good runs in the top flight and when not battling relegation all the time it is enjoyable. We stand a good chance of going up in the next two seasons followed by a good chance of coming down again

I want to see my team play at the best stadiums, playing against the best players and managers.

However getting established in the PL is only going to get harder and harder, and the likes of WBA, Swansea or Stoke to name just a few, if relegated could find it much harder than ever imagined.

Maybe the time is right for a PL 2nd division, top 10 from champs and bottom 10 of PL, wire a place up for grabs in the Europa league ?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]............... We stand a good chance of going up in the next two seasons followed by a good chance of coming down again[/quote]I would suggest that if we don''t go up this season, it will be extremely hard the following seasons.Given that the PL bubble is likely to burst I would prefer a club who are not overstretched than one who has thrown everything at staying up.

Any real Norwich fan should want us established in top flight.

People saying this league is more exciting must be blind. We have been rubbish up until yesterday, the opposition even worse.

There''s no doubt this level is more exciting for our club as it stands, we have a very good squad and set up for this level. The football we can play means we get more results go our way.

As others have said, without promotion, this league can be a mother to get out of, remember we had 9 consecutive seasons here not so long ago!

It''s the premiership, but I''d like a premiership challenge like we had under Lambert, give it a go, have a fit squad and a game plan, so when it''s not working change it up.

It has to be as high as we can achieve for me, I want premiership with some cup success, will it ever happen again who knows?

Who has said anything about us not being an established PL club ?Stop making stuff up.And we have NOT been rubbish  up until yesterday.

What I''d like to know is which three established clubs will be relegated from the EPL this season. Or will the promoted three come straight back down. How long does a club have to stay in the Prem to be established? Are Stoke established? Swansea? 
Following your football team is exciting and fun. Each season you have dreams at the start. Each cup game you dream of winning. We have been luckier than most clubs recently. Even most with investment. How would you all feel if we''d finished mid-table in 2009, and apart from getting stuffed by the binners in the play offs one year, were still there now....

the sad fact is that as a club we''re simply not geared up to compete in the Premier League....at the very least we need, or needed to have done by now, increased the capacity of the City stand to have moved our overall capacity up to 34-35k?

then there''s the small matter of finding investment, ownership that can elevate us to a club who can stay in that league for 5 seasons +

without those ,we will always be fighting relegation whenever we''re in that league.

What is the point of being a successful Championship Club if it doesn''t ultimately lead to being a PL Club?If winning games is the only thing that matters we might just as well be a yo yo League 1/League 2 Club.Give me the PL every time as I hate seeing clubs like Hull, Burnley, Boro, Bournemouth, Palace, Stoke etc playing in the World''s best league, against the World''s best players, while we''re playing the likes of Rotherham and Burton Albion.Surely every fan must want their Club to play at the highest level possible. If not, what is the point of it all?

I''m quite happy with us flitting between the two leagues. Without deeper pockets we''re unlikely to establish ourselves in the top league and if we did beat the money our manager and better players are likely to be poached.

But these visits up are essential for a club like ours, as they allow us enough money to buy the players that can make us competitive in the league below and hopefully stop us getting stuck there. So I like both both yos.

[quote user="Tom Daft"]Whereas the PL is not a "gruelling and cruel slog" ?It comes down to whether you want to watch City, or the opposition I suppose.[/quote]

that''s just it. you don''t mind losing most weeks to gold ridden teams like man city in the prem as long as you pull out some decent performances and get enough points along the way. it''s a complete different thing losing to Rotherham playing in a shed that holds a man and his dog and having a hapless Gary Doherty up front... do you remember the mid to late 90''s? I could name plenty of names of players you would shudder at the thought of donning the yellow and green!

It''s a paradox that going up to the Prem is more fun than playing in the Prem, except for the odd victory over ManU Arsenal etc. But then it''s being in the Prem that has got us such a strong squad. So you just have to take it how it comes and remember after 95 we had a long time in the wilderness.

"the sad fact is that as a club we''re simply not geared up to compete in

the Premier League....at the very least we need, or needed to have done

by now, increased the capacity of the City stand to have moved our

overall capacity up to 34-35k?"that is absolute bolloxassuming that we could increase the capacity WITHOUT it cost us a bean ! ! !it would only generate another few million in gate receipts if that only, something that is hardly likely to gear us up to compete in the PL

For thos unable to read the OP I did say "Yes we need to be in the PL to be able to fund our ''big fish'' status in

the Championship
"however that comment was qualified by  " but I don''t miss the hype and general shyte of the PL."As things stand we are never going to be able to compete with the top 7 or 8 clubs in the PL, so folk should stop kidding themselves that simply playing them is competing (in the wider sense). It is much the same as if we were to permanently get the parachute payments every year and Rotherham were talking about competing with us.As nutty slack has correctly pointed out. What clubs other than those 7 or 8 are ''established'' in the PL ? And at what cost ?Yes, silly little clubs like Blackpool, Wigan and Bournemouth will have their moment in the sun, before plunging Icarus like to the ground. And chasing a league title is far more uplifting than trying to avoid the trapdoor out of the PL.