Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

no square pegs in round holes today...

and no coincidence that, second half at least was our most coherant and balanced performance of the season.

that 45 mins is now the benchmark that we must maintain and if we do, I see few sides living with us in this league.

The challenge now is for Neil to continue. Hopefully Olsson and Brady can keep fit and operate as they did today down the left....something that should have happened all last season.

the real conundrum is what happens when Tettey comes back....please no more Howson on the right wing, but I fear we''ll see it again to fit players in the team ahead of overall balance?

keep it simple Alex Neil...

Certainly for the first time this season we looked much more balanced with Brady left side of midfield and Jacob on the right. Howson plays so much better in the central role, and Dorrans, particularly second half, played the Tettey role superbly, breaking up their attacking play with some ferocious tackling. One can only hope that AN, injuries permitting, sticks with this set up, because it works!

It''s because the double pivot worked really well today -- Dorrans & Howson played deep for the most part and having two deep players in a double pivot is excellent in order to relieve pressure and to quickly shift the angle and the emphasis of the attack, especially when our attack is running out of steam in the wide positions - as an example, Howson & Dorrans would position themselves in a deep position just inside the opposition half and operate as a release to allow us to escape the pressure by keeping the ball, creating space and changing the attack - it leaves the far side of the pivot with the option of playing the ball into space for the attacker to collect or alternatively he can drive into space as both Dorrans & Howson did today and hey presto! They both scored [:D]And there lies the beauty of the flexibility of the double pivot within a 4-2-3-1 when played properly  [Y]

[:|]

[quote user="Eccles from Beccles"]Howson scored from a corner-not sure how that was brought about by using this ''double pivot'' that you''ve been trying to cram into every thread in the last week or 2.[/quote]Jools in the new Tom Cavendish.

If you are going to make it as a pro coach Jools - and I have no doubt in my mind that you will - you''re going to need more in your locker than "double divot", sorry "pivot"!

Have you considered the "swivel"?

It''s amazing how much ''double pivot'' insight can be gained from listening to Radio Norfolk, does anyone know how many times it was mentioned during commentary?

To get back to the square pegs and round holes thing..........

according to very many on here over the last few months Russell Martin is a right back and definitely not a centre back.

Funnily enough I haven''t seen anybody making this point over the last week.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Enlighten me, what is this much talked about, by some anyway, double pivot?[/quote]As Fuzzar mentions it is slighly different to the "swivel" but with more movement than the "sit".

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="OldRobert"]Enlighten me, what is this much talked about, by some anyway, double pivot?[/quote]As Fuzzar mentions it is slighly different to the "swivel" but with more movement than the "sit".[/quote]That was not overly enlightening Herman![:D]

Great point Thirsty which has so far been ignored. Does this mean that as there were no square pegs in round holes that people are beginning to accept Russ is a centre back?

[quote user="Jools"]It''s because the double pivot worked really well today -- Dorrans & Howson played deep for the most part and having two deep players in a double pivot is excellent in order to relieve pressure and to quickly shift the angle and the emphasis of the attack, especially when our attack is running out of steam in the wide positions - as an example, Howson & Dorrans would position themselves in a deep position just inside the opposition half and operate as a release to allow us to escape the pressure by keeping the ball, creating space and changing the attack - it leaves the far side of the pivot with the option of playing the ball into space for the attacker to collect or alternatively he can drive into space as both Dorrans & Howson did today and hey presto! They both scored [:D]And there lies the beauty of the flexibility of the double pivot within a 4-2-3-1 when played properly  [Y][/quote]People appear to be struggling with their understanding of the double pivot within the 4-2-3-1 and how the concept of the formation requires two players keeping deep -- please listen to Neil in the following interview at about 2:12: [url]https://youtu.be/28EM8ptNULI[/url]  [:|]

That AN interview doesn''t endorse the benefits of a ''double pivot'' thingy whatsoever. Without Tettey''s ''bite'' AN asked Howson & Dorrans whether they could replicate it - which they clearly did with a flourish.

Excellent people management & not a lot to do with fancy formations it would seem...

Oh well, it matters not that I''ve been continuously derided in my attempts to explain what the double pivot means within a 4-2-3-1 [:O] What really matters is the fact that Neil has finally grasped the concept [Y]