Sign in to follow this  
morty

Performance.

Ok let''s look at the league table.

We''ve played 7 games this season. 3 of those games against the current bottom 3.

The only side we''ve played in the top 6 currently we lost 3-0 against..

I appreciate it''s very early in the season so looking at table now isn''t necessarily best way to judge the teams we''ve played. But let''s just call it a fun example for now.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Imagine being pathetic to the point that you post a picture of a poster because you disagree with them and can''t get one over them just by arguing your case[/quote]Ach he''s fine, he was just having a laugh.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Imagine being pathetic to the point that you post a picture of a poster because you disagree with them and can''t get one over them just by arguing your case[/quote]Ach he''s fine, he was just having a laugh.[/quote][Y]

Morison''s Prozac ~ [quote]"Imagine being pathetic to the point that you post a picture of a poster because you disagree with them and can''t get one over them just by arguing your case"[/quote]Hey, f*ckface - try choosing one of our more successful strikers for a username, stop going in the River End and you might be able to lay off the Prozac and regain your sense of humour [:|]

we have been relegated with "performances" and wont get promoted on them too.

The game is all about gaining points, if we win games that is a successful performance.

And I dont accept people will be happy watching cavalier defeat after defeat - that only leads to a sacking.

Ideally we do want wins & entertaining football; that appears to be beyond this squad of proven relegation experts - so points it has to be.

Forest on T V recently did not look impressive. Could well be double joy tonight in Australia. City on Canary Player need to win whilst Watching Ipswich go down or at the best draw on T.V

[quote user="sonyc"]@morty.....there are few things nicer than a 1-0 win away actually and I tend to think we have really ground out a result if we do that but would I like to see poor football every week and yet somehow scratch results then the answer is no for me. I am a purist and like free flowing football. Same even with the teams on the TV. It gets turned off quickly when I get bored. It''s an entertainment thing and Norwich or not I want BOTH! But an interesting question. I want to see some style....or rather philosophically speaking....what is the point of it all, life included. It''s about making the most of it while we are here. And City managers need to understand that![/quote]Absolutely this for me as well.I imagine it was pretty awful being a Chelsea fan at one point (under their first spell with Mourinho), as they had world class players on multi-million pound contracts, and they were just grinding out 1-0 wins playing pretty dire football to watch (even if it was highly effective). I have no interest in that sort of setup whatsoever, and in fact you only have to look at Leicester''s title win last season to see how clubs of our size should be approaching games IMHO, they didn''t set out to park a bus, or scrape 1-0 wins playing low technique, overly physical football, they went out and played THEIR game regardless of opposition and look what happened.I want a return to the days of the football we saw under Stringer/Walker, or at the very least what we saw under Lambert, I want wingers with pace and trickery, I want midfielders who can pick a 40yd through ball out and defenders who are not only solid at their main job, but give us genuine options offensively as well, and most importantly I want to enjoy watching us play the ball around, I''m not asking for Barcelona (in fact I''m pretty bored of tiki-taka tbh), just simply some of the attractive, attacking play we were known for in the 80''s and early 90''s in what was probably our most productive and effective era.

Maybe I''m trying to have my cake and eat it here, but if this team performs to its capabilities then barring some pretty wretched misfortune then I''m almost certain a result would follow.

Well said Indy_Bones. I''d also like to see the kind of football that we played under Stringer and Walker and IMO, so does AN. That 90s squad had been developed by Brown and Stringer, but more to the point, introduced young players like Sutton and Goss to add another dimension. My hope is that the Murphys, Canos and Pritchard fulfill their potential to give us the creativity, width and pace we need to play attractive football. We had an aging squad at the end of last season. These four players have helped to bring that back into balance. We also have yet to see what Oliveira can bring to performances, but I''m hopeful that we can improve and still keep picking up the points.

Indy, sonyc, couldn''t agree more, but we haven''t been near the top of the Prem (Div 1) for sometime, so our realistic expectations have to be tempered, to suit the (financial) demands that modern football brings.

If we get back to the Prem, and establish ourselves for a while, then those halcyon days may return, at the moment, it''s all about results...........

So how did Leicester win the league then Crabby?They didn''t ''establish themselves for a while'', they got promoted just like we did, had one season of adjustment and then the season after, instead of retreating and playing defensive football and giving too much respect to the opposition, they said "F**k it, let''s play football" and off they went and the league title followed.When we went up under Lambert, we didn''t change our gameplan, we played our way and got some great results because of it and at least the football was exciting to watch.For me the mindset and approach to the game is often as important as the players on the pitch, and the more I see this season, the more I think that this is where the problem lies, rather than the players not being good enough (because they are tbh) etc.

Leicester, I feel, was almost a sheite or bust moment, and I am sure you would agree, would we see that happen again? No harm in trying, I would agree, but there were just too many moments, that were not plannable or forseeable, and could it be recreated, mmm?

Football was great under Bond/Brown/Walker/Lambert, put particularly Lambert, I, and plenty of others felt he had run his course, and could not offer anything else after that. Conjecture? Of course, but a lot of us said it.

Again I agree about the mindset, so are you taking it to the nth degree and saying that AN should go now? I would disagree, as sometimes we play some really good stuff. Could we improve? without a doubt. At this moment in time, we need to grind results out, ''fancy'' football will follow, once the points are being constantly gathered, momentum gained, and League position attained. The risks in modern football are way too high to prioritize on just performance. That IS sad, but we have to lump it I am afraid

I think it''s quite telling that most of the people who can''t wait to make their opinions known after a bad result haven''t bothered to reply to this thread.

It''s like they don''t even bother to come on here unless they''ve got something to moan about. Says it all for me really.

I am expecting a very quiet night on here, a win coupled with our best performance of the season what on earth is going on. What is there to moan about, oh yes AN could get slated for letting Wes take pens!

A proper performance today. Must have had c.20 attempts. Really chuffed.

You may have called it right on this thread Crabby! Perhaps Newcastle became complacent

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Sounds like the performance is there. Anybody pleased?[/quote]Yep, best display/performance of the season thus far and a victory, which kind of dispels the silliness of people saying only points matter [Y]

An long overdue good performance. Coming from a goal down after missing a penalty is especially pleasing. Second in the table without putting in a string of decent displays is also a bonus.Roll on next Saturday and Burton Albion.

Not at half-time Jools. That was the time I commented. There were no takers...

It''s wins that count. Performances like today are just the Icing on the cake.

What it does show is that we are a good side who can win when they''re not playing well.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Oh dear, a performance and a result, away days back to normal ![/quote]Really enjoyed today, last season was hard work following away!