Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Opinions on this shirt?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORWICH-CITY-Long-Sleeved-PLAYER-Away-Shirt-STRIPED-1992-RIBERO-Number-16-Rare/351836621563?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39219%26meid%3D1002967b577a4f548b7c3692b08a937b%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D222246956658

This is currently on Ebay. I do like to dabble in collectables, but I can''t think that this is quite right? The guy selling it is genuine enough , and has answered some questions, but what do the older posters think?

We had the Ribero / N and P shirt in 1992-93 and 93-94. Our home strip was the Cheese and Onion Pizza job, away was White with Purple arms, and of course the Blue "tartan" UEFA shirt. But I cant remember this one ? The badge doesn''t look right either .

Is it just a fake , or used as a one off? Any thoughts?  If I haven''t got the clicky right could someone do it for me please?

That badge is the same as the one on my bird poo shirt, which is contemporary. I vaguely remember seeing this shirt and think it''s kosher but can''t give you any more than that...

Don''t remember that one but that''s not to say it wasn''t in operation of course - it was a long time ago. Badge looks spot on though, I seem to remember them being made out of this awful sticky back puffy felt then, the badge design wasn''t really up to much. Can''t help you any further I''m afraid, but I''m sure some more knowledgable Canaries will be along soon 👍

This seller claims it is 100%, yet doesn''t know it''s provenance ?I suspect he got caught with a ''pup'' and is now trying to offload it.Buy it if you feel that you may have found the ''penny black'' of football shirts.

Thanks All, it''s a bit rich for me at £95 but a mate of mine has asked for an opinion. Frankly I''m none the wiser - my guess is that it was put together by Ribero - I have found a similar style in a programme where Ribero used to advertise for team kits .

It''s actually quite smart I think , maybe we used go for stripes as an away kit one day!

I cannot recall such a shirt at all and that badge is just so wrong. The castle motif and the ball is not right.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I cannot recall such a shirt at all and that badge is just so wrong. The castle motif and the ball is not right.[/quote]

You may well be right Tilly, I do remember the badge and its design looking especially shoddy on those Ribero shirts though, especially by today''s standards. Don''t remember the shirt in the slightest, so is good to get second opinion/confirmation from those that were senior whippersnappers at the time though 😉

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="TIL 1010"]I cannot recall such a shirt at all and that badge is just so wrong. The castle motif and the ball is not right.[/quote]

You may well be right Tilly, I do remember the badge and its design looking especially shoddy on those Ribero shirts though, especially by today''s standards. Don''t remember the shirt in the slightest, so is good to get second opinion/confirmation from those that were senior whippersnappers at the time though 😉[/quote]

Alex is spot on regarding the awful badge design. I still have one of those Ribero away UEFA cup shirts we wore against Vitesse Arnhem (the Wimbledon lookalike one) and the badge is exactly the same as the one the OP''s shirt. Thank god they sorted that out eventually!

I don''t recall that shirt from that era, yes the yellow and green pizza job home, white with purple sleeves away ( had that one)

But red and white stripes??? Looks too Sainty/Stoke to me certainly don''t remember it.

Defo never an official NCFC shirt. If not a fake, then an un-used prototype or possibly used in trial matches (but why manufacture another shirt with same sponsor?) For Ribero era we had the white and purple bird sh1t away k1t, then had to quickly produce the ''Wimbledon'' effort when we drew Vitesse who played in yellow and white. And for some reason during 93/94 Ribero disappeared (takeover?) and Mitre manufactured a near-identical kit for the rest of the season. There was an article on these very kits in one of last year''s programmes (either Stoke or Man City) and defo no reference to this red and white effort. I thought this site did away kits too, but can''t find it: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Norwich_City/Norwich_City.htm

The Canary badge is definitely correct for this era, the Mitre shirts for the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons also had this style of badge.

Doesn''t matter as now sold but looks very fake to me.

I''ve never seen this before either. Perhaps it could have been a prototype - the fact the seller says he has seen another like it draws question marks for me as well!

Someone paid almost £100 for it, so for their sake I hope it is genuine!

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]The shirt was one of a set used for pre season trials or something like that. They were sold by FONCY at an open day some years ago, so not fake.[/quote]

This does make sense all things considered. I think the seller is genuine and the buyer has an interesting item. It looks like a trial shirt otherwise you wouldn''t bother with the number . As said it looks quite smart for the era. Never an official shirt of the club though. Will proabably crop up again with someone looking for a profit .

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]The shirt was one of a set used for pre season trials or something like that. They were sold by FONCY at an open day some years ago, so not fake.[/quote]Ah yes the good old days of FONCY and Open Days. Getting shot of both was not one of McNally''s better days at the office.It would be good to see Open Days return.

Can only imagine that it was a sample of a potential away shirt that didn''t get chosen by the club...or a complete fake.

Ribero only ever made three shirts for us. The iconic home shirt, a white and purple away shirt and a navy blue European shirt. The away shirt was worn only once I believe at Bradford in a league cup tie. The navy shirt was also only worn once at Vitesse.

My thanks to STFU. Earlier in this thread he/she pointed out that Ribero was the kit manufacturer and not a player. Really?

And don''t tell me Errea is not one of our midfielders hoping for a run-out at Goodison.