Sign in to follow this  
AJ

EFL vs Everton Presser

Nothing unexpected really;

Oliviera - is in the squad just as AN said previously. I assume he''ll probably play about 60 mins to "ease" him in. Bit alarming we signed a player who''s taken this long to get fit, but I would imagine we didn''t rush him in as he''s our only other option aside of Jerome!

Naismith - Says reason he hasn''t played is ''pretty boring'' and that there has been no fall-out. Read of that what you will.

Vs Everton - hinted that there will be lots of changes, but can still expect an experienced line-up - but that comes with the depth of our squad now!

Think the Everton line up will be - Ruddy, Whittaker, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson, Mulumbu, Thompson, Canos, Naismith, Jo Murphy, Morris. Oliveira to get some minutes second half rather than start. Wouldn''t be surprised if Pritchard starts in place of Naismith, but just have a sneaking suspicion that AN may feel this is maybe the perfect away game for Naismith to show what he can do after a couple of weeks out.

Interesting comment re AN on Naismith ''pretty boring''. Not heard that one before, wonder what he meant by that?

Expecting plenty of changes.

Important to rest pinto and olsson for me. Both crucial to us. Any injury to those would be devastating.

Something like this

Ruddy

Martin, bassong, bennet, whittaker

Mulumbu, Thompson

Canos, Pritchard, jo. Murphy

Lafferty /Oliveira

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]Expecting plenty of changes. Important to rest pinto and olsson for me. Both crucial to us. Any injury to those would be devastating. Something like this Ruddy Martin, bassong, bennet, whittaker Mulumbu, Thompson Canos, Pritchard, jo. Murphy Lafferty /Oliveira[/quote]

I''m with this except I think Whittaker will play at RB instead of Martin, and someone instead of Olsson at left back.

Remember we''re in the middle of a run of 6 games in 3 weeks including this one, so the first team starters must be rested this week, and Olsson especially so as he''s coming back from injury.  Martin is an important first teamer now AN  has decided to go with him and Klose as our starting CB lineup so also we can''t afford for him to get injured.

Who do you think will play LB, Bob? I''m with both of the above posts on resting Olsson but maybe AN will want to give him some game time as he''s not played much recently? I suppose I look at it from the point of view that every game''s a risk for any player, but I''m not sure Alex will play players out of position if he can help it. Olsson and Brady are obviously natural choices in that order, Whittaker I would imagine next but that would likely see Martin back at RB - maybe that is what will happen? I''ll stick with Olsson but I would guess Brady will get the nod if Olsson doesn''t play, Whittaker over at RB.

Terrible situation for the players to have to do an extra game this week, lucky they were not playing in the old days of the leather ball and muddy pitches.

Fitness and stamina is the Tour de France and like 7 14 and 21 day races

Good point Daly. Perhaps we should make the cup competitions more interesting by using the old leather ball. Maybe we could have the Leather Ball FA Cup sponsored by Dubbin.

Dubbin the mule!

Just imagine our modern day players slugging it out in the mud and rain with a leather ball and no subs.

Marvellous 😀

And endless replays, I feel sorry for the generation who haven''t had the pleasure of experiencing a round in the cup that involved numerous replays, I remember 2 replays against Leeds unfortunately we got mullered 5-0 in the 2nd one!

Left Back is an interesting one. Do you play one of Brady or Olsson to keep their fitness up as they''ve both been missing at some point so far this season. If you don''t play either, do you then have to play Whittaker or Russ at LB?

Personally, I''d play Olsson for the 90 as I think he probably still needs some match fitness.

Can Godfrey play LB?

Ruddy

Godfrey Bennett Bassong Whittaker

Canos Mulumba Pritchard Murphy

Naismith

Nelson

Subs Lafferty Morris Jones Martin Olsson Turner Thompson

For the fullback position, I''d say let''s assume we can''t use any of Pinto, Olsson, Brady and Martin, who do we play there ?  So I think the idea of Godfrey in his natural position and Whittaker on the left makes sense.

For my sins, I totally forgot about Godfrey earlier - that changes a lot! I guess Godfrey at RB with Whittaker moving over to the left then?. So my new guess is :- Ruddy, Godfrey, Bennett, Bassong, Whittaker, Mulumbu, Thompson, Canos, Naismith, Jo Murphy, Morris.

Morris won''t be starting up top ahead of Lafferty or Oliveria. Lafferty has been getting chosen ahead of Morris in the match day squad so highly doubt Morris will start ahead of him. Morris will be on bench.

Ruddy

Whittaker Bennett Bassong ?

Thompson Mulumbu

Pritchard Naismith Jo.Murphy

Lafferty

Jones Turner Godfrey Dorrans Canos Morris Oliviera

It''s the striker position which I think is actually the hardest to predict, Bob (now AJ mentioned Godfrey that is, I think we have our missing defender to complete the puzzle).

I''m guessing Oliveira won''t start, he''s not had any minutes yet this season for even the U23''s, and I don''t think Alex will throw him in the deep end from the off. Would put money on him playing tomorrow though, but only getting 20 mins substitute appearance. Lafferty therefore is the most likely starter I think we''d all agree but Halajko has really been singing Morris''s praises and AN may feel he deserves his chance - he scored in the last round (but then so did Lafferty?!). So, a hard one to call but would be very very surprised if Nelson starts and is expected to play 70mins minimum with no previous game time this season - I guess we''ll see tomorrow night though!

And endless replays, I feel sorry for the generation who haven''t had the pleasure of experiencing a round in the cup that involved numerous replays, I remember 2 replays against Leeds unfortunately we got mullered 5-0 in the 2nd one 

Just like the 74/74 League Cup, when there was replay in every round

... until we got to the semis

..... then that was over two legs !

a year later was this cracker

yep, I reckon and hope it will be Lafferty starting up front. Not because I like him but if he is going to be a regular No2 to Jerome, Oliveira notwithstanding, then we need him to get match minutes. I''d expect Laffs to start with Oliveira coming on after 60.

Real shame that Toffolo and Maddison can''t be used, I''d like to have seen them in this game.

I don''t know much about the Everton reserve team, but we should have enough to give it a go tonight, and hopefully Naismith will be fired up to show his worth assuming he starts.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]yep, I reckon and hope it will be Lafferty starting up front. Not because I like him but if he is going to be a regular No2 to Jerome, Oliveira notwithstanding, then we need him to get match minutes. I''d expect Laffs to start with Oliveira coming on after 60.

Real shame that Toffolo and Maddison can''t be used, I''d like to have seen them in this game.

I don''t know much about the Everton reserve team, but we should have enough to give it a go tonight, and hopefully Naismith will be fired up to show his worth assuming he starts.[/quote]Agree. Getting match fitness on loan is one thing, missing out on games like tonight is another.  I''d be disappointed if any of our team on Saturday is involved in this one and we could have done with both of them.  It may be considered a nothing game in the scheme of things, but there is a possibility of a cup run and to do well in one game against a premier league side would have done more for a player''s career than ten games on loan at a lower level, imo.

Sorry LDC but that''s just silly.Remember Ryan Jarvis against Liverpool, didn''t do his career much good did it?10 games to maintain fitness and build strength and confidence - even if in a weaker league is always going to be better than 1 game against prem opposition and potentially a bunch of apps in an U23 side against other U23 sides (and the U23 games are NOT a better level than the SPL).

[quote user="Alex "]It''s the striker position which I think is actually the hardest to predict, Bob (now AJ mentioned Godfrey that is, I think we have our missing defender to complete the puzzle). I''m guessing Oliveira won''t start, he''s not had any minutes yet this season for even the U23''s, and I don''t think Alex will throw him in the deep end from the off. Would put money on him playing tomorrow though, but only getting 20 mins substitute appearance. Lafferty therefore is the most likely starter I think we''d all agree but Halajko has really been singing Morris''s praises and AN may feel he deserves his chance - he scored in the last round (but then so did Lafferty?!). So, a hard one to call but would be very very surprised if Nelson starts and is expected to play 70mins minimum with no previous game time this season - I guess we''ll see tomorrow night though![/quote]

Good points Alex, I guess it''s all about how fit Oliveira is.  I''d be disappointed if he''s not ready to start because I think he''s our realistic backup to Jerome (given AN is clearly averse to using Lafferty for more than a couple of minutes in the league). Failing which, does he give Morris the chance to show what he can do against a higher standard of player ?  But that would pretty much close the door on Lafferty, personally I think Lafferty can still do a job for us this season so I''d prefer him to start if not Oliveira.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Agree. Getting match fitness on loan is one thing, missing out on games like tonight is another.  I''d be disappointed if any of our team on Saturday is involved in this one and we could have done with both of them.  It may be considered a nothing game in the scheme of things, but there is a possibility of a cup run and to do well in one game against a premier league side would have done more for a player''s career than ten games on loan at a lower level, imo.[/quote]
Sorry but this is just complete wrong, how can you claim such nonsense while one of the first team and MOTM is clearly showing the benefits of having gone out on loan.

Spot on Ginja, ask any youngster who''s gone on to develop their careers what they''d prefer; sitting on the bench lots and playing the occasional development game, or going out on loan and playing regular first team football?

I know which one I''d prefer!

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="lake district canary"]Agree. Getting match fitness on loan is one thing, missing out on games like tonight is another.  I''d be disappointed if any of our team on Saturday is involved in this one and we could have done with both of them.  It may be considered a nothing game in the scheme of things, but there is a possibility of a cup run and to do well in one game against a premier league side would have done more for a player''s career than ten games on loan at a lower level, imo.[/quote]
Sorry but this is just complete wrong, how can you claim such nonsense while one of the first team and MOTM is clearly showing the benefits of having gone out on loan.
[/quote]
Yep.

Looks like Josh & Jacobs loans may have helped them last year. Maddison needs games and I suspect if Naismith hadve moved to Sunderland on deadline day then Maddison wouldn''t have gone. He''s back in January and when/if Naismith goes then Maddison is ready after his game time away and hopefully full of confidence.

Although I like Toffolo I certainly don''t think he''s ready, needs games at league 1 level and with Olsson there & Brady in an emergency then was best for him to get games.

Im guessing will ine up aomething like this

Ruddy

Godfrey bennett bassong whittaker

Thompson mulumbu

Canos Naismith Josh

Lafferty

Jones, martin, brady, grant, dorrans, jacob, oliviera

[quote user="Lynn Canary"]Im guessing will ine up aomething like this

Ruddy

Godfrey bennett bassong whittaker

Thompson mulumbu

Canos Naismith Josh

Lafferty

Jones, martin, brady, grant, dorrans, jacob, oliviera[/quote]What is Godfrey''s actual favoured position?Have seen him put in various line ups, in a few positions.