Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

James Maddison

[quote user="Webbo118"]AN was obviously happy for him to be loaned out. If he wasn''t, he wouldn''t have gone.[/quote]

True. But would AN have put him in the game against Everton? Almost certainly. An opportunity missed to play against a premier league club and do well and stake a claim to a first team place. Aberdeen may or may not be good experience, but one game against top opposition is bound to be better experience than several games against lower league SPL kick and rush and static defences. Imo. You can see how slow defenders were in the highlights against Dundee. 

Lots of exciting stuff expected from this lad - going out on loan and providing the goods is good for his development.

We can argue all day long about whether he should have gone or not, but now he''s there he''s getting his head down and doing well. When he comes back he may well have progressed more than if he was stuck in the Dev Squad not playing regular first team football!

That''s what I suspect as well, Parma. Think AN was probably expecting the departure of Naismith, and with that falling through, that''s why Maddison ended up going on loan. Now, what I hope is that the Chelsea hat trick Naismith comes back at some point, but if not and he ends up leaving in January then I think Maddison''s loan won''t be extended and he''ll be back at Carrow Rd for the second half of the season. Win win 👍

Spot on Alex, it''ll nicely work out that if Naismith does go in Jan, whether it be loan or perm, we have a match fit and confidence filled Maddison coming back from what will hopefully be a successful and productive loan period.

Exactly AJ, what''s not to like?! As I say, I think we''re in a win win situation, and proper men''s matches week in week out can only be a good thing in my eyes. My only fairly unlikely fear is if he has an absolutely mental half season and scores literally every game for Aberdeen or something, and then your Liverpools, Arsenals, Tottenhams etc start sniffing around our clearly ambitious young player again (I would imagine in all likelihood that they''re still very much keeping an eye on him, amongst others). It would be nice to actually see him play a decent number of games for us, and I''m sure everyone on this message board will hope that''s the case!.

Will say it now, but I truly think he''s got the potential to be the next Steven Gerrard (so to speak), a big statement yes, but it''s frightening to think what he''ll be like in a few years time if he keeps developing at the rate he is.

strange player to compare him to but I''d take it if he was to develop that far... Can''t help but think that''s a tad ambitious though!

Alex wrote:

''''Will say it now, but I truly think he''s got the potential to be the next Steven Gerrard (so to speak), a big statement yes, but it''s frightening to think what he''ll be like in a few years time if he keeps developing at the rate he is. ''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steady on.. Maddison and Gerrard don''t play in the same role at all - David Silva would surely be the player of quality you''d liken him to? Not sure he''ll quite get to THAT level, plus he wouldn''t be our player if he did.. I''d definitely take him being ''the next Wes Hoolahan''...

They don''t play the same role at all?, yet you''re likening him to David Silva and Wes, who most would agree are attacking mids behind the striker?. Well, that''s where I see Maddison establishing himself as do yourself by what you''ve said. Entitled to your opinion of course buddy, but I''ll respectfully disagree and am with Benitez on this...

http://www.squawka.com/news/rafa-benitez-steven-gerrards-best-position-was-behind-torres/376373

What I welcome is his ability and willingness to have a go (and score) from outsie the box.Aside from the usual whingers we now seem to have plenty of players who can ''finish'' .... as Howson and Dorrans showed on Sat. Thankfully we have moved on from the days when we wanted to walk the ball in.

ps what part did this absurd bollox about an ''assist'' play in Maddisons goal, or Murphy''s first against Wigan, or both goals on Sat ?Perhaps Jerome ''assisted himself for his goal at the near post against Cardiff, or should that be credited to their keeper.

[quote user="Alex "]

Will say it now, but I truly think he''s got the potential to be the next Steven Gerrard (so to speak), a big statement yes, but it''s frightening to think what he''ll be like in a few years time if he keeps developing at the rate he is.[/quote]

Steady Alex, you need to be careful. Suggesting comparisons with great players is frowned upon on here (well it is if I suggest them, anyway  [:S] ).   Gerrard was an incredibly strong player. At 19, Maddison is still a physically slight player.  With time and work on his body strength he may become a great player.  One of my concerns is that on loan, is he getting as good advice/help in increasing body strength as he would be at Norwich. If he gets that strength and carries on developing as a fotballer, he could have a fantastic career.

Fair enough Alex, I always thought Gerrard was more of a central/box-to-box midfielder rather than a number 10... Only seen Maddison play a couple of times for us but I''ve seen a lot of similar traits in him to that of Wes/Silva, similar build, looking for the ball in tight spaces, low centre of gravity, sharp dribbling skills, creative flair etc..

Would probably still liken Maddison''s main attributes to those 2 more so than Gerrard..football is about opinions though ''ey!

Players on loan are very closely monitored by their ''parent'' club. More so youngsters where it is about development rather than getting them off the wage bill.The Murphys are where they are now because of their being out on loan. This not only allows them game time but gives City a chance to analyse their development in a realistic enviroment (the pitch) rather than sat in the stands as some of the less bright want.Some players will progress whilst other (Cameron McGeehan) will find their level in a lower league. Sadly some on here don''t seem to grasp what it is all about (still, there wouldn''t be Canary Call without them).

Haha, I knew the comparison would draw some debate Lakey, but that''s what we''re all here for buddy 👍. I think Gerrard was still fairly slight at a similar age, and even when he developed and filled out I still wouldn''t quite put him in the Nigel ''The Lawnmower'' De Jong bracket, now he WAS and IS a beast of a midfielder!. I think Maddison will fill out in time (not quite in the De Jong mould it must be said!) and yes, big shoes to fill but when I look at the few prospects I can think of in this country then I think Maddison has as good a chance as any. Very technically gifted, with a footballers brain to die for from what I''ve seen, and as Tilly pointed out on another thread, immense confidence. 3 key qualities that tend to make superior footballers. Now, he might fall flat on his ar5e, and I could be incredibly wrong, but you don''t have to be Tom Cavendish or True Grit to know when you see genuine top footballing potential 👍

And yep, Hank, totally get where you''re coming from pal - the comparisons in style to Wes and Silva - he has those attributes as well and you make a very fair point. To me, Gerrard was a bit of an all rounder, could operate in most midfield positions, but what I remember him best for, apart from slipping over, was picking up the ball in the attacking half, seeing a killer pass, and scoring some blockbusters from range - Maddison I feel also has these qualities and also appears to have the Gerrard knack of wellying it in from outside the box, he''s scored a few like that now. I think he''ll develop into a similar sort of player but perhaps with a little more trickery like you suggested 👍

Sounds promising but just bear in mind the quality of opposition he will be facing most weeks. I mean, RVW is scoring in the Dutch league but that is dismissed, the Scottish Premier is well below the Dutch league.

[quote user="STFU"]Sounds promising but just bear in mind the quality of opposition he will be facing most weeks. I mean, RVW is scoring in the Dutch league but that is dismissed, the Scottish Premier is well below the Dutch league.[/quote]

[Y] Comedy defendind by Dundee.  Full backs like statues and apparently non existent central defenders......

Some excellent posts on the subject. I''m feeling really positive after reading this thread. Compared to Steven Gerrard even If Maddison falls shorts he''ll still be a real decent player.

But we''ve paid 8 million for Pritchard. Where does he fit in ?

Can they both play in the same team ? Anyone have an opinion on who can come in for Hoolahan ?

Or can Maddison bulk up enough to play centre midfield and they both play ?

What are your thoughts on this one ?

Longer term I can see Pritchard on the left, Maddison in the Wes role and Murphy/Canos on the right.VERY exciting prospects at the minute, probably the best we''ve had since the Stringer/Walker days IMHO.

It''s an interesting conundrum, Six Pack, but I reckon Indy Bones has called it spot on, with Howson and (current feeling) Dorrans behind them. That''s a decent midfield and if those 3 or 4 youngsters come through in the manner that it''s looking then there''s a future quality Premier League midfield right there, not to mention Thompson and some of the young lads that AN has quietly gone about signing 👍

I''ve hardly seen anything so far of Pritchard, Maddison or Canos - basically just a few glimpses of highlights, and they all clearly have a lot of potential.

What''s great news for me is that we''ve got players who have potential to come in for Wes, when the time comes for him to hand up his boots.  Wes is in great form but it can''t go on forever and last year we had no one on the books with potential to replace him.

But Pritchard''s favoured position is behind the striker. I understand that to accommodate all our best players some players need to move to other positions. Positions they are can fill adequately but not necessarily their preferred position.

Would Maddison or Pritchard be happy playing in a secondary position when they know they are wanted by other clubs that will play them in the "hole" ? As I say Pritchard is a 8 million dollar man.

So everyone sees Maddison as the better player in that position and shift Pritchard. Besides the ""Gerrard" factor what else has Maddison got over Pritchard ?

Why has Maddison gone to Aberdeen and not Pritchard ? Because Pritchard is more versatile ?

Pritchard was more than happy to play a full season at Brentford on the wing, can''t see him complaining if he''s performing and getting picked - can you?

Wes is 35 next May so I can''t see anyone complaining about playing elsewhere this season if the carrot is to compete to be his replacement.  I guess the issue is forcing their way into the team at all.  After Saturday, it would be hard not to play Jacob M and Brady on the wings, with Tettey/Howson/Dorrans being the first choices for the two other midfield positions.  So I can see the logic in Maddison deciding to go out on loan and show what he can do on the pitch up there.

I think we need some consistency in the team, with the two wing pairings (Brady/Olsson and Murphy/Pinto) playing regularly to develop understanding, ditto Wes playing off Jerome with those wide players.  The 2nd half on Saturday showed how well the team can play, but realistically it''s not just about individuals in the separate slots, it''s about them getting used to each other, who''s going to make a run where and when, etc, getting used to giving cover when another player has gone forward.  And that only comes with time.

Happy to stand corrected, my mistake was in assuming that the games I did see him play in he was on the wing, even if overall these were the exceptions rather than the rule [:)]Certainly was on the wing against Wolves, Blackburn, Forest and Fulham (didn''t see many others tbh), but obviously this was dictated by injuries or the manager making a few changes.

Does anybody know whether Wes is doing his coaching badges? I don''t think you can teach that magical ability that Wes has - either you''ve got it or you haven''t - but it would be great to see Wes still around the club when we are back in the Premiership and passing on his knowledge to the young midfield guns that are now coming through the ranks.

The youngsters must be learning huge amounts by being around Wes in training and on the pitch, it would be nice to see that experienced passed on to the next generation of midfielders.

@Indy

I saw him a few times and he was always in the middle so looked it up- Tranfermarkt (not the most reliable I know) say he played almost every game as an AM.

He''s not slow though so I can see him being more than capable of playing a bit wider, especially with someone like Olsson to overlap and support. I suppose the big question in some ways is where does Brady fit in longer term?