Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Is it too early to mention Everton ?

If not, perhaps a couple of ex Evertonians should start....Ruddy, Naismith Along with the other Murphy, Canos, Bennett, Pritchard Bassong and get Lafferty on the pitch as well...maybe even Thompson                   RuddyWhittaker, Bennett, Bassong, GodfreyCanos, Mulumbo,  Pritchard, Murphy          Lafferty, Naismithbasically those who didn''t start today.A very strong team and we still have Jarvis, Tettey and Oliveira to come back

not  since Super Mac was playing for us

(MacDougall that is, not McMillan)

[quote user="sonyc"]Good point NN. There is some depth now[/quote]Something that will tell later on when the injuries and suspensions taking their toll.......on all clubs.That''s why it is so important that we are where we are now ie grinding out the results. Rather like a middle distance runner with a strong finish staying on the shoulder of the front runner as they come off the last bend.However I do think it is a case of ''now or never''... we won''t be this strong next season if we don''t go up.

I''ve previously criticised the 4-2-3-1 for its lack of two defending-midfielders, but as witnessed today, Howson & Dorrans, two attack-minded midfielders, kept relatively deep to form that vital pivot at the heart of the midfield [Y] For that reason and the likelihood of Neil sticking with said formation for League matches, I''d suggest for the sake of continuity he plays the 4-2-3-1 against Everton.

[quote user="worried walter"][quote user="sonyc"]Good point NN. There is some depth now[/quote]Something that will tell later on when the injuries and suspensions taking their toll.......on all clubs.That''s why it is so important that we are where we are now ie grinding out the results. Rather like a middle distance runner with a strong finish staying on the shoulder of the front runner as they come off the last bend.However I do think it is a case of ''now or never''... we won''t be this strong next season if we don''t go up.[/quote].

another thing that must surely work in our favour this season is the fact that clubs can no longer loan players outside of the transfer window, so no Championship club manager being a bit pally with a Premier League manager and calling in favour by taking one of their fringe players leading up to Christmas , or in March for the run in.

Clubs with stronger squads such as ours will surely see the benefit of this particularly in the second half of the season?

[quote user="Alex "]BEAUTIFUL illustration of the double pivot there, Jools 👍[/quote][:|][Y]

I wouldn''t have any of the first XI that played today even travel up there for this.....give them a whole week of "normal" build up for next weekend ..before then the big game at Newcastle following that

Everton will be taking this competition fairy seriously I''d imagine , and we''d probably be beaten whatever team we picked.

best to just take this one on the chin and use it a training exercise to give some minutes to the likes of Oliveira,Pritchard,Josh Murphy,Naismith (??),Canos,Bassong,Ruddy etc.

anyone going up there for this should do at their own risk !?!

The stupid thing is, GJL, is that we''ll probably only go and win it with that line up and then AN will have the biggest selection dilemma ever for Burton 😉

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I wouldn''t have any of the first XI that played today even travel up there for this.....give them a whole week of "normal" build up for next weekend ..before then the big game at Newcastle following that

Everton will be taking this competition fairy seriously I''d imagine , and we''d probably be beaten whatever team we picked.

best to just take this one on the chin and use it a training exercise to give some minutes to the likes of Oliveira,Pritchard,Josh Murphy,Naismith (??),Canos,Bassong,Ruddy etc.

anyone going up there for this should do at their own risk !?![/quote][:O] Of the first 11, or from today''s match, I''ve only selected Dorrans, Martin, Olsson and McGovern -- besides the keeper the first three have missed a few games this season and have already had sufficient rest [:|]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

another thing that must surely work in our favour this season is the fact that clubs can no longer loan players outside of the transfer window, so no Championship club manager being a bit pally with a Premier League manager and calling in favour by taking one of their fringe players leading up to Christmas , or in March for the run in.

Clubs with stronger squads such as ours will surely see the benefit of this particularly in the second half of the season?[/quote]A good point, and one that will hit the ''paper thin'' squads. With not much chance of rotation there is a greater risk of injury. Lose a couple of key players and it may well hit you hard.And unless you have the funds to dip into the transfer market in Jan you will have to battle along with what you (or not) got.

A note to all us stream watchers, there should be a stream available on Tuesday night, apparently Bein are showing the game live.

I reckon that AN will make a lot of changes to the team that played yesterday. He has already said that Oliveira will make his debut, I reckon McGovern won''t make the squad at all, Pinto won''t start, Bassong will start, as surely our objective this season is to go straight back up, not a good cup run. To achieve this we need to save our best players for the league. Personally I can''t see us winning whatever the team is, as Everton are doing very well at the moment.

3 points against Burton Albion is far more valuable to Norwich City than an away win in any cup competition - even against Premiership opposition.

Likely to be little more than a glammed-up training exercise...

Agreed Mustard, I would use this solely as giving fringe or back-up players a chance to win a place in the squad. I expect to see;

Ruddy

Whitts Benno Bassong Olsson (as no other option + coming back from injury)

Mulumbu Thompson

Canos Pritchard Murphy

Oliviera

Those picking Naismith, I''d rather give someone else a chance. Would Naismith deliver against his former club or wilt under pressure? Hmm...

You''d hope we use this as a chance to give Pritchard a full 90 minute run out.

I''ll be interested to see if Everton wheel out the reserves too or if they are going to go for it in this competition.

I can''t wait for a thread where Jools doesn''t unnecessarily mention the f*cking ''double pivot''.

Given we had 2 games last week, Everton tomorrow making 2 games this week, and 2 league games next week, I expect us to have 11 changes from the starting lineup for Saturday, and this is more about giving players like Oliveira and Pritchard and Canos game time.  I can''t imagine Olsson will be risked as he''s coming back from injury, even if it means we''re a bit makeshift at LB.

If we actually progress tomorrow that is entirely a bonus, what''s more important is that our first team get a proper rest before Saturday and those who need match fitness get a chance for it.

Exactly Rusty but feel we will put out a young U23 side again only perhaps Turner and Jones to play for U23''s. Everton side 11 changes from Saturday starting line up all squad need matchtime.

RuddyWhittaker, Bennett, Bassong, GodfreyCanos, Mulumbo,  Pritchard, Murphy          Lafferty, NaismithI was almost right