Sign in to follow this  
Molly Windley

Maddison /Aberdeen BT Sport 1 @ 1945

Like watching Ipswich v Ipswich reserves...awful

Maddison has been great on the ball and his passing has been crisp and accurate every time he gets on the ball. Could be good for him though playing in this league, teach him how to get into and affect scrappy games

His talent shone like a beacon within 5 minutes of first watching him in a development league game. There is no question of will he/ won''t he make it. This boy is the real deal.[Y]

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Tacking awful 😀[/quote]Shouldn''t be a problem unless we start a sailing team.

He''s a CAM not a DM! Although I''m sure his defensive side will be worked on

The way those tackles are flying in he''s going to toughen up pretty quick, or come home with a broken leg. Looking good though, great balance.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Other than the keeper, back four and the striker did anyone work out what positions the rest of the Aberdeen side were playing?[/quote]Can''t understand why we''d want to loan one of our young talents to a club with a misshapen five-man midfield with players switching around seemingly at random... [:)]

BBC website- the impact James Maddison has made in his short time at Pittodrie is extremely impressive. The teenager tormented St Johnstone midfielder Murray Davidson throughout the night with a flurry of touches that at times were embarrassing for the Saints player.

At 19 years of age his touch on the ball was immense and his game awareness was a delight to watch. His loan spell from Norwich City is until January, but Dons fans can be reassured boss Derek Mcinnes will be looking to extend that until the end of the season.

Got to watch a reasonable amount of the game tonight, and thought he was very impressive. 19 years old, this kid really is the real deal - the commentators were going crazy over him at times.

Alex Pritchard will certainly be looking over his shoulder as the expected long term successor to the Hoolahan crown.

Still can''t get my head around it.  We all know he''s good and if he is that good he should be competing for a place in our team, not Aberdeen''s. If you are good enough you are old enough. If he stays there all season, which is a distinct possibility if we don''t sell anyone in January (and why should we?), we will have been missing a star in the making.  And if we get promoted, the jump he would have to make from SPL to PL, would be much harder. He should be getting as much experience in the championship here, this season, as possible, then if we go up he will be better placed to do well next season.

He''s going to get regular football!

Perhaps AN thought he needed a bit of toughening up, hard to criticise the way we are managing our young players when you see how they are developing.

He wouldn''t have got a lot of game time here. Hoolahan, Pritchard and Naismith are all ahead of him.

He wants to play football - a good thing.

Loans have done the Murphy''s the world of good thing.

The more football he plays, the more he''ll develop.

There is a gap between the SPL and PL, but if he''s good enough it won''t make a jot of difference.

Playing regular football instead of the odd reserve of cup game - there really is no comparison.

..... this isn''t really hard at all to get your head around.

And if we get promoted, the jump he would have to make from SPL to PL, would be much harder.

If you''re good enough you''re old enough.

Lakey, you managed to contradict yourself in the space of three or four lines.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]And if we get promoted, the jump he would have to make from SPL to PL, would be much harder.

Lakey, you managed to contradict yourself in the space of three or four lines.[/quote]Maybe, but the premise is right imo. If we are promoted, we need him to have had at least some championship experience this season to make it easier to make the jump. The PL is a goldfish bowl of  unbelievable proportions. Every move is scrutinised and exagerated way beyond what is normal, to the point that pressure can have an effect on even the best young player.  The championship is a much better preparation for the PL than the Scottish SPl (witness the defending in that league and you''ll see what I mean).  I hope he comes back in January and is able to feature for us this season, but as I said, if we don''t sell any players in january, he will likely stay where he is for the duration.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Still can''t get my head around it.  We all know he''s good and if he is that good he should be competing for a place in our team, not Aberdeen''s. If you are good enough you are old enough. If he stays there all season, which is a distinct possibility if we don''t sell anyone in January (and why should we?), we will have been missing a star in the making.  And if we get promoted, the jump he would have to make from SPL to PL, would be much harder. He should be getting as much experience in the championship here, this season, as possible, then if we go up he will be better placed to do well next season.

[/quote]Its AN''s job to oversee the development of the boys. I suspect he knows more about what is needed than either you or me.

So how did you jump to the conclusion that Maddison has a bad attitude, and was disrespectful to his fellow players, by going on loan?

If he''s good enough for a potential Premier League season then he''ll be part of the squad. If not, he''ll be sent out on loan until he''s deemed ready or not as the case might be. It doesn''t matter if you''re 19 or 39, if a player is good enough to make the step up he will.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]And if we get promoted, the jump he would have to make from SPL to PL, would be much harder.

Lakey, you managed to contradict yourself in the space of three or four lines.[/quote]Maybe, but the premise is right imo. If we are promoted, we need him to have had at least some championship experience this season to make it easier to make the jump. The PL is a goldfish bowl of  unbelievable proportions. Every move is scrutinised and exagerated way beyond what is normal, to the point that pressure can have an effect on even the best young player.  The championship is a much better preparation for the PL than the Scottish SPl (witness the defending in that league and you''ll see what I mean).  I hope he comes back in January and is able to feature for us this season, but as I said, if we don''t sell any players in january, he will likely stay where he is for the duration. [/quote]But who''s to say if we were promoted this season, we''d need to throw Maddison in next season? As people point out, we have Wes & Pritchard. Perhaps he could further his development again out on load - this time at a higher level. Top of the Championship perhaps.One thing I''ve noticed the last few years is that we''re now prepared to be patient with young players. The handling of Louis Thompson is a great example of this, which is another one I''m more impressed with every time I see him. He signed when he was 19 (i.e. the same age as Maddison), and he''s now been on our books for 2 years. Only now is he starting to work his way in and around the first team.Like mentioned above - given the results we''re starting to see, I''m prepared to go with the clubs judgement on this. I mean your expert opinion is always appreciated, but I think the club knows what it''s doing.