Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

So Naismith has completed his house move to Norwich today....

That''s got to make a difference. Fingers crossed this is the start of Naismith''s career at Norwich..

Big big goal, massive in fact. I hope it turns the tide, but he has to build on it.
I dont think people are expecting too much of him anymore, which is a bonus.
He just needs to be an effective squad member. Just like everybody else.

Just out of curiousity, where did Naismith play tonight?

Was it on the left of the 4 or was it in the no10 position?

It certainly sounds like he''s put a case forward to be involved/start against Burton - however it would require Hoolahan to be put in the bench

I''m quite sure we will see many more positive performances from Naismith this year

I just hope no one made any rash statements about him being a flop, that they may come to regret.

I''ve been a pretty vocal critic, and I''m not going to apologise for any of it. He has fully deserved the flak that has come his way after 6 months of anonymous performances.
I''d love it if he starts firing on all cylinders and showing why we shelled out the big bucks for him, but I won''t hold my breath. 
If we get the Naismith who turned up at Liverpool and Blackburn on a regular basis, then it won''t be long before he converts the doubters, but if he does, that doesn''t make his performances to date any better than they have been, and the most generous term they can be given is "largely ineffective".
Don''t get me wrong, he seems like a good bloke, and I''m rooting for him to turn it around with us, hopefully this is the start of his NCFC career and fortuitous as the goal was, it certainly won''t do him any harm to see his name on the scoresheet. If I was AN then he still wouldn''t be in the matchday squad though. Lot for him left to prove. Let''s hope he can do it.

Think the way the Everton fans reacted to his goal tonite shows what sort of regard they hold for him, nobody would say he done anywhere near enough since joining us, but also wrong to totally rubbish him, thats where fans can ruin players without realising it.

Correct LC.

The Times responds to the round of applause from the Everton stands:-

"Stephen Naismith was a popular figure during his four years at Everton thanks to his tireless efforts on the pitch and his social conscience off it, as he regularly bought tickets for unemployed fans."

I believe that he was/is also involved in various charity works.

Although the criticism of the player by the Norwich support has been somewhat justified his demonisation seems somewhat extreme.

It would seem that the main way for the Club to get the best from this player is by encouragement from the stands. He could yet be a star player and a fan''s favourite the way he was at Goodison.

Having said that, do we really need him? Wouldn''t five million or so be more useful to us given our surplus of talent in depth in the midfield area to say nothing of his high wages?

He would seem to me no more than an impact sub at best for us, as was his Everton role, so despite his sudden metamorphosis into a charitable hero, local resident and somewhat underestimated footballer I would prefer the financial benefits of selling him.

Perhaps Everton would want him back.

The level of rubbishing of Naismith on this board has been something that really has bemused me, there is no doubt he has quality and was highly regarded at Everton, he hasn''t all of a sudden become carp. He did have an injury last season and he has not been in good form, but I''m confident he will come good.

"One swallow does not a summer make."

Nobody''s saying it does and there''s no ''happy clapping'' detected in this thread by me.

The fact remains that he is a City player so we as supporters are best served by looking for the best in our players and supporting them rather than looking for negatives. That Naismith has been a poor signing for us is undeniable, that there have been mitigating factors such as injury and settlement/personal problems is also the case, that he was a popular figure at Everton is revealing.

The fact that he could, after last night, make a contribution to our cause this season is to be welcomed because the doomsday scenario that had evolved, of a disaffected player becoming a very expensive bystander was very bad for our Club for all sorts of reasons.

At the very least he will have retained some value for potential suitors now that he is back in the Carrow Road fold (if he was ever out of it.) and I still see him as surplus to requirements and better replaced with financial gains.

He would have left in January if he had agreed terms. We have a winning team in the league so at best he will have to force his way into the team from the bench. As for the house it may be rented out come February as I think he will be off to Sunderland if moyes is still in a job

The young canary wrote the following post at 21/09/2016 7:58 AM:

"ONE rather flukey goal and suddenly he is Messi get a grip. He has been turgid since he joined. One swallow does not a summer make

Happy clappers will clap "

Not at all, nobody is saying he has been great, just that he has not deserved the propellant vomiting of bile that some people have directed towards him.

The word turgid gets bandied about a lot these days. I feel it gets misused - it means ''swollen'' or ''congested'' or excessively complex. Was Naismith''s playing any of the above yesterday or is it because turgid sounds a little like ''turd'' so people use it in that context. Anyway... back to the day job...

Yesterday he was ok and got a goal, but have to remember we played quite much 4-4-2 which suited him more than our normal 4-2-3-1.

We very rarely face teams in champs that give us so much room to run as Everton did, so personaly I hope this doesnt give AN a sign to give him more game time as a starter.

He is good player and I think he gets too much negative reactions from fans, but he is also a signing that I never understood why we did it, because of his favoured position as secondary striker, age and squad structure we had in Prem.

Anyway depth is good and having him on the bench and occasionaly starting is nice asset to have.

Welcome back Young Canary, don''t think I''ve spotted you on here since your rather embarrassing post at half time on Saturday. Clock still ticking is it you turd?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He would have left in January if he had agreed terms. We have a winning team in the league so at best he will have to force his way into the team from the bench. As for the house it may be rented out come February as I think he will be off to Sunderland if moyes is still in a job[/quote]

I''m kind of hoping this post has been made by YC in January via a time warp....

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He would have left in January if he had agreed terms. We have a winning team in the league so at best he will have to force his way into the team from the bench. As for the house it may be rented out come February as I think he will be off to Sunderland if moyes is still in a job[/quote]

I don''t think so.  The fact that he couldn''t agree terms with sunderland - if that is what happened - probably means it would have needed a big pay increase to tempt him away.  That they couldn''t offer him anything to tempt him to move is a positive thing.  Having a house and a settled environment helps anyone and we should see better of him from now on.  Unless someone comes in with a silly offer and a huge pay increase for him, which I doubt, he is probably here for the duration.  I hope so.

I''m with Kick it Off. He''s been bad for 6 months and deserved the criticism considering the fee we paid for him and the wages I''d imagine we are paying him. If he suddenly comes good and starts playing well it doesn''t make those who criticised him for being rubbish wrong.

I was not all that surprised to see Ricky Van Naismith score last night. He has a tendency to turn up and perform like Frank Lampard for games that he sees as big. His hat-trick against Chelsea last season, his home debut against Liverpool and now his first return to his former club sees him score what turned out to be the winning goal. The thing is though that when we play teams like Burton Albion, Rotherham United or Birmingham City, he can''t motivate himself and plays more like Frank Spencer.If he proves he can put in performances week in, week out against "smaller" sides, like Wes, Cam, Tettey and others do consistently, then I may stop criticising him. IMO though, its a big IF.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m with Kick it Off. He''s been bad for 6 months and deserved the criticism considering the fee we paid for him and the wages I''d imagine we are paying him. If he suddenly comes good and starts playing well it doesn''t make those who criticised him for being rubbish wrong.[/quote]
Yeah that''s probably fair. Although I defended his performances in the Prem, his performances in the Championship have been poor.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He would have left in January if he had agreed terms. We have a winning team in the league so at best he will have to force his way into the team from the bench. As for the house it may be rented out come February as I think he will be off to Sunderland if moyes is still in a job[/quote]He only joined us in January so that would have been a pretty sharp exit [;)]Seems odd it''s taken this long to sort out somewhere to buy. It''s not as though he''s a first-timer trying to scrape a deposit together.Perhaps there was something in the supposed reluctance to moving South so maybe it''s taken a while to find the right place to keep Mrs N sweet.

[quote user="Alex "]Iwan''s Big Toe,

You''re just desperate for ''Ricky van Naismith'' to catch on, aren''t you?[/quote]I think you misunderstand old boy,  I couldn''t care less about it catching on. Referring to him as Van Naismith is my mischievous way of pointing out the hypocrisy of those who moaned about an under performing RVW, yet blindly back an under performing RVN.