Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Those that gave Alex Neil 10 games...

We''ve now played 10 games...

W: 7

D: 3

L: 1

Some may disregard the 2 EFL cup games but ultimately they''re still first team fixtures.

I''ll assume we''re all happy to continue with AN at the helm?

I don''t see how anyone could be unhappy with that record so far.If you want to see it done wrong, take a look at Villa.

I think the general consensus when everyone was a little dispirited after Birmingham/deadline day striker stuff was if the results went downhill and he lost game after game, well, whoever''s in charge would have to be accountable, and I could understand that given the quality of our squad. Personally, I like Alex Neil and never thought this really would be the case - he''s doing well and I want to see stability at the club, preferably with Alex in charge, a good young manager with an excellent future - and hopefully that''s with us 👍

@Morty. exactly. If you want a further chuckle take a look at Dr Xia''s twitter page. It''s morbidly fascinating.

I''m happy with Neil at the helm.

[quote user="Morgan"]@Morty. exactly. If you want a further chuckle take a look at Dr Xia''s twitter page. It''s morbidly fascinating.

I''m happy with Neil at the helm.[/quote][:D]Absolutely mental!

I was emphatically one of those, but then changed it to 10-15 as the reality of the length of the season in the Championship once again sunk in.

It was reasonable to have concerns about our manager as I feel that he made quite a few mistakes last season, in selection and tactics, that contributed to our downfall. He did not have the best of luck with injuries and decisions though.

Nothing is clear cut and he is once again going up in my estimation as gradually as he went down last season.

There remain reservations, but clearly he is doing very well.

This stance need not be taken as anti-Alex Neil. There is nothing I would wish for more than a few years of stability with him as the main man, bringing on the many youngsters, developing a style and enjoying success. He has enough good attributes as a manager to envisage this scenario.

At this particular moment in our history there is no time to give this ideal a chance to bear fruit as it is so vitally important that we get promoted sooner rather than later.

There is no space to give AN the time to "learn" anymore or eliminate the bad habits from his repertoire and as I see it we would need an instant Steve Bruce type "fix" ..... should there be such a thing.

Let''s hope we are able to capitalise upon our very good start and are able to eliminate all doubts about the manager.

[quote user="morty"]I don''t see how anyone could be unhappy with that record so far.If you want to see it done wrong, take a look at Villa.[/quote]OT - but I read a decent article this morning about Villas start to the season when compared to that of Newcastle in preparation for them meeting on Saturday.It puts an interesting spin on the early seasons for both promoted teams, and I think is well worth a read.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="morty"]I don''t see how anyone could be unhappy with that record so far.If you want to see it done wrong, take a look at Villa.[/quote]OT - but I read a decent article this morning about Villas start to the season when compared to that of Newcastle in preparation for them meeting on Saturday.It puts an interesting spin on the early seasons for both promoted teams, and I think is well worth a read.[/quote]That basically backs up my opinion before the season started, that hasn''t changed much.Newcastle, just by sheer weight of squad quality and financial dominance really shouldn''t fail in this league.And Villa are a car crash of a club.

I think Broadstairs post highlights the difficult job AN has got - so many of our fans seem to have such high expectations and are overly critical when we were just a few games into the season - ignoring the fact that clubs with more money and even bigger support (Villa) were doing worse than us.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="morty"]I don''t see how anyone could be unhappy with that record so far.If you want to see it done wrong, take a look at Villa.[/quote]OT - but I read a decent article this morning about Villas start to the season when compared to that of Newcastle in preparation for them meeting on Saturday.It puts an interesting spin on the early seasons for both promoted teams, and I think is well worth a read.[/quote]That basically backs up my opinion before the season started, that hasn''t changed much.Newcastle, just by sheer weight of squad quality and financial dominance really shouldn''t fail in this league.And Villa are a car crash of a club.[/quote]I don''t disagree in regards to Villa. My observations from the article were more to do with - in all measurables other than league table points - how close both Villa & Newcastle actually are. Especially given that "had Villa not conceded the five goals they''ve let in during the final

five minutes of matches so far this season they''d be level with

Newcastle on 15 points."
which when you consider the accusations of Norwich fans saying our players do not look fit at the end of games, gives some kind of perspective.I think the writer is clearly a little lazy in stating that these 2 clubs are the main 2 powerhouses of the league and were 1st and 2nd favourites for the league. But when I read between the lines, my main take away from this article (or more accurately, stat analysis) is - which of the 2 clubs is actually in the false position?

Hmmmm, so had they not lost games, they would have had more points.*Strokes chin and nods*[:D]

[quote user="morty"]Hmmmm, so had they not lost games, they would have had more points.*Strokes chin and nods*[:D][/quote]Sure. You could look at it that way.......but we only have 8 games to look at so far. The old adage "the table doesn''t lie" is never more untrue than at the start of the season.Anyway. I found it interesting. And I think we have a very interesting few weeks coming up with both us and Villa playing Newcastle in consecutive weeks. We''re going to know a lot more about where everyone really is by next Sunday.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="morty"]Hmmmm, so had they not lost games, they would have had more points.*Strokes chin and nods*[:D][/quote]Sure. You could look at it that way.......but we only have 8 games to look at so far. The old adage "the table doesn''t lie" is never more untrue than at the start of the season.Anyway. I found it interesting. And I think we have a very interesting few weeks coming up with both us and Villa playing Newcastle in consecutive weeks. We''re going to know a lot more about where everyone really is by next Sunday.[/quote]But the table doesn''t lie![:D]

"I think Broadstairs post highlights the difficult job AN has got - so many of our fans seem to have such high expectations and are overly critical when we were just a few games into the season - ignoring the fact that clubs with more money and even bigger support (Villa) were doing worse than us."

All true, but shouldn''t our expectations be high at this particular moment in time.

With the much emphasised four of the last five seasons in the Premier League we have been able to build up a squad, at some expense, that must rate as one of the most valuable in the League. Price tags approaching £15m have been mooted for some of our squad.

They are also amongst the most highly paid in the league and we have a wages bill that could not possibly be sustained if we remain in this league over-long.

Our high expectations have been built up by our relative success over the past five seasons and by the fact that we are therefore now one of the bigger fish in the Championship pond.

What we are saying is that a decent manager, given a fair wind, should be able to get promotion with this squad at his disposal and if Alex Neil shows signs that he is not that man then we would need a manager who is.

I think people think too much into the Premier League to be honest.

It''s very easy to say after a game that "I would have done this or that" and than class him as naive on the choices we would have made. But our choices are only based upon the display we see that day really.

The reality is, our squad was not good enough to stay in the premier league - especially not without the likes of Klose for the majority of the season.

I do feel that some thought it was going to be easy and judged it on that background.

The only thing that concerned me after last season was AN''s ability to turn around a loss of form. That''s really where we struggled last season - and some teams do after hitting a "wall" after promotion.

Turning us around mentally over the summer and once back into the onslaught of the league was going to be key with the squad we have.

People seem to forget that under Lambert we took some really big hidings and he didn''t appear to like to stick with the same side for very long, constantly trying to keep things fresh or just realising that some players couldn''t give their best performance every week. He also made some horrific tactical decisions at times, setting us up with 3 at the back in a game against quality opposition is just one I remember.

Point is, no one is perfect.

Jury is still out for me if I am honest. An easy start to the season we have had and we should really have more points on the board. Beat Newcastle away and I might start to believe more. Scum and Birmingham away were really low points

No reason to sack but still a big question mark

He''s winning me back round. I was pretty peeved after making the trip to Birmingham but results and performances have improved and you can''t argue with our league position. Obviously he needs to show he can sustain it but I''ve been pleased by our reaction to the performance at Birmingham.

Also a big tick in the positive column for the faith he''s shown in the Murphy twins- he could have easily dropped them for Canos and Pritchard considering the money spent but he''s giving them chances to impress. All in all we''re going in the right direction and long may it continue.

[quote user="The young canary"]Jury is still out for me if I am honest. An easy start to the season we have had and we should really have more points on the board. Beat Newcastle away and I might start to believe more. Scum and Birmingham away were really low points

No reason to sack but still a big question mark[/quote]

Again, hindsight is brilliant.

Anyone who is anyone though, never forgets how charged local derby''s are and how they can throw the form book out of the window. You never apply such logic as who is stronger on paper unless you are meeting in a cup and are leagues apart.

And I still think people are being a tad high and mighty and guilty of thinking this league is a walk over. It''s not. There are more games, they come thick and fast for starters. A bad day at the office in the Prem is once a week. In this league it''s every 3-4 days.

Brum is our only loss. Funny thing is, if we had lost to one of the other teams it sounds like you would have minded less?

So of the league games we have played (Blackburn, Shef Weds, Nottingham Forrest, Ipscum, Brum, Brizzle Citeh, Cardiff and Wigan) -

Shef Weds was one of the three teams in the play-offs not to get promoted finished 6th last season. Ipscum finished 5points off of them last season in 7th. Cardiff finished a point behind them in 8th.

Birmingham finished 6 points behind them in 10th.

Blackburn finished a place and goal difference better than Nottingham Forrest - 15th and 16th respectively.

Brizzle finished in 18th, three points behind those two.

Wigan were promoted as champions with our next opponents, Burton, promoted as close runners up.

So in summary, of the 8 teams we have played, last season three were in or around the play-offs, one of which being our arch rivals.

Another three were mid table, with Brizzle finishing further down the table and Wigan being newly promoted.

Yes, we are yet to play Villa, Newcastle, Derby or Brighton - the only four teams that finished above Shef Weds, Cardiff and Ipscum (not including us) last season. But we have played the next best three.

We''re not doing too badly, we are slowly picking up too which is a good sign.

[quote user="The young canary"]Jury is still out for me if I am honest. An easy start to the season we have had and we should really have more points on the board. Beat Newcastle away and I might start to believe more. Scum and Birmingham away were really low points

No reason to sack but still a big question mark[/quote]you''re almost as much of a (unt as miserable Pete

[quote user="The young canary"]Haggerdoo you are a very rude and boorish man[/quote]And you are a binner.

I think it is wrong to simply judge Villa on the money they supposedly have and the bigger support. That ignores the other factors that sent them down in the first place.Namely that they had been struggling for some while before they finally fell through the trapdoor. Much as with Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton and Fulham. The problems with those club and the squad weren''t going to be straightened out in a few months over the summer.The other mistake is to imagine that it is all down to AN. He is one cog in a big machine. Note how he talked of ''we'' when talking about how they planned the game against Everton.. The club as a whole will know how important this season is, and how necessary it is to bounce straight back. Actually probably more important to get there, than stay there. This way we get the best of both worlds without ending up like the above four clubs.

Hate to tell you City1st but you could not be more wrong about young canary being a binner if you tried. I don''t know a binner who is a Norwich season ticket holder or attend Norwich away games on a regular basis. This season alone i have met him at Blackburn,Ipswich,Birmingham and Forest.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]This season alone i have met him at Blackburn,Ipswich,Birmingham and Forest.[/quote]He was at Leeds last night.Or at least, he was on WACCOE. [<:o)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Hate to tell you City1st but you could not be more wrong about young canary being a binner if you tried. I don''t know a binner who is a Norwich season ticket holder or attend Norwich away games on a regular basis. This season alone i have met him at Blackburn,Ipswich,Birmingham and Forest.[/quote]

Shame then that he only comes on here to basically be antagonistic amongst his fellow City supporters, Tilly. What a nice chap. But fair play to him for all the games he gets to, he''s a super fan 👍