Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Waghorn Has More Spin Than Las Vegas

After reading Rick Waghorn''s column of October 15th I am convinced this man is moonlighting on Nigel Worthington''s behalf. He admits his thought process had dried up with nothing too much happening over the past couple of weeks so, finding an interesting column in another newspaper, he decides to give us the benefit of Niall Quinn''s insight from the Guardian.

Quinn writes on the tenuous relationship between a football manager and his players. He does it very well, giving examples of situations where the manager has failed to defend his players and "lost the dressing room". He also appropriately points out how good managers protect the players etc etc.

What Waghorn then does is take Quinn''s column and use it as support that Worthington has not lost the dressing room, citing examples of Huckerby weaving his magic and Safri running half the length of the pitch to celebrate with Nigel. What Waghorn does not do ( along with many blinkered posters on this message board ) is take account of the content of the constructive criticism that has been directed toward Worthington for some long time now. Such posters are not suggesting Worthington has lost the dressing room as a basis for change. On the contrary, Nigel does a really good job of protecting his players, to a fault. Most of the constructive criticism is not being directed toward the players but, rather, to Mr. Worthington himself. If the right kind of coaching, team formation and tactics are not employed so as to maximise the potential talent of a squad over a long-term period, then the manager himself is accountable. There is nothing preventing him in post-match interviews or articles having a little more forthrightness in this regard. Fans are not stupid ( Dicky, did you hear the booing after the shambles of the first half today. Whether you agree with it or not, can there be any doubt that it was intended for Nigel''s ears ). 

I know Mr. Worthington continues to draw a good salary for less than sterling performance to put it mildly. Are you also drawing a good salary Mr. Waghorn for copying other people''s articles. Apologies for doing so are fine. However, if you are going to do that, don''t pretend that there is nothing else to write about. There is a lot you are choosing to ignore.

Fair comment.

Waghorn wrote in his last major piece how, having reported on City for many years, he now knows when they have turned a corner and are heading for better things. Apparently, we have already turned that corner. Not much evidence of that yesterday though.

As ZippersLeftFoot points out quite succinctly in the Poor Formation thread, having had two weeks to prepare Worthington got both his formation and tactics all wrong in the first half yesterday. Against the poorest opposition I''ve seen at Carrow Rd this season. I doubt there will be any criticism on these points forthcoming from Waghorn. Ok, so the Evening News has to sell copy, and may think that staying positive keeps readers happy and buying their paper. Personally, I find Waghorn''s mindless optimism rather dull, and his inability to call a spade a spade demonstrates pretty shoddy journalism.

Wouldn''t we all like to think if we remained upbeat and positive, and ignored all the bad aspects of our team these negatives would soon disappear? Well they won''t. It''s called sticking your head in the sand. Worthington and his staff deserve praise when they get it right. But equally so, should be criticised when they get it wrong.

[quote]After reading Rick Waghorn''s column of October 15th I am convinced this man is moonlighting on Nigel Worthington''s behalf. He admits his thought process had dried up with nothing too much happening ov...[/quote]

Spot on Yankee.

That bloody silly article has caused me to cancel the Pink Un from my newsagent.

Thanks a lot Rick!.

Lazy Journalisim par excellance!

Well said Pyro, my sentiments entirely regarding the inane slating of people who refer to the negative aspects of the game that need addressing.

I’ve said many times before that it is in the addressing the negative aspects of our games that we will find solutions to our problems, and then we will earn our successes. "Worthy out"!! no solution!! "Worthy learn quickly",!! Solution to, Penalty taking, Worthy says "I’d rather see someone put the ball down and blast out the back of the net" this placing the ball business is no good. Give your orders Worthy!!

Every one on these boards knows that Norwich are a far-far better side with a 442 formation.

Worthy, why waste a whole 2 weeks of training on this pattern? To draw with a team that are only just holding themselves together.

I am, as you all know in favour of keeping Worthy at the helm, but !! there is only a limited learning curve for anybody, and time in this respect is of the essence.

Who we could employ in his place that we could afford I do not know, and who would want to come, I really don’t know.

As for Waghorns article YC enough said, well!!!

[quote]After reading Rick Waghorn''s column of October 15th I am convinced this man is moonlighting on Nigel Worthington''s behalf. He admits his thought process had dried up with nothing too much happening ov...[/quote]

For a football journalist to say that ''there was nothing else to write about this week'' is a pretty facile claim.  Surely ole Foghorn Waghorn''s job is to look for new things to write about?!

Maybe the deadline was looming and he hadn''t got anything else up his sleeve.  Maybe he was on holiday, who knows?  Maybe that explains his construed, simplistic logic that since Youssef ran to the halfway line to celebrate his goal, then all is hunky dory in the dressing room.

Niall Quinn''s article was pretty good, on the other hand.  Maybe he should be writing for the Pink''Un instead.

[quote]Your support is admirable Wizard, albeit not dependable. We all know that you will re-order the PinkUn two days from now.[/quote]

When its costing me money YC, you''d be surprised how strong my decisions can be!.

Waghorn admits he used someone elses words, fine, I don''t read the Guardian so thanks for giving me the oppurtunity to gain a small insight into the relationships between players & managment.  Niall Quinn was a highly respected player and his words must carry some weight, has anyone on here played pro football and know better?

It WAS a slow couple of weeks regarding NCFC, you only had to look at this board to see how little was going on, so it was worth printing IMO. 

Mr Waghorn''s comments of late have had a certain air of exasperation about them. He gives the impression that he''s actually feeling the same way as us - thoroughly bored with being back in a rubbish division, watching pretty awful football, knowing it''s going to be a long, cold, hard winter and having to discuss the same points that come up every time Worthy gets his team selection and tactics wrong.

The difference is, he won''t be allowed anywhere near Colney if he starts saying precisely he''s thinking; that''s why he always quotes the message board when things get hairy.

I should think that being back in the press box at Brighton rather than Chelsea after so many years of loyal service is as much of a come down for him as it is for for us to be in the stands watching this tripe again after a year of hope.

I do think it''s time he stopped telling us ''everything''s alright in the dressing room'' though.

One interesting aspect regarding and connecting Waghorn and Worthington.

Who has read "Twelve Canary Greats" by Waghorn?

In it, there are pieces by Dave Stringer, David Cross, and even (though he didn''t play under him) Martin Peters where comparisons are made to Ron Saunders and Worthington. Neither, it is claimed, were very media friendly, and both put a lot of emphasis on hard work, commitment, energy, that sort of thing.

Saunders, as a manager, did  a lot for Norwich-first promotion ever to the top flight (and survival in the following one) plus our first major cup final at Wembley, however, much as he had and did do for the club, twas observed that things were going stale, and, when he moved on, it was the right thing for all parties. He went onto bigger and better things, we got John Bond in and the club was transformed, new coaching staff, players, style of play, and a settled and established 1st division team as a result.

Yes, Saunders did a lot for Norwich, but it had been going a bit stale and predictable, just as some would say it is for Worthington and the squad now. The question is, therefore, has Worthington reached the same point that Saunders did, by where a move would benefit both the club AND himself?

Old Shuck

An interesting point about Saunders, and yes, we did move forward and have great times and lovely football under John Bond.

Question though, who is in the John Bond mould that is both available and who would be attracted to a big challenge?

I make no bones about my admiration and love, some would say obsession with good attacking and passing football. The sort of stuff we don''t see nowadays at Carrow Road, unless Crewe are the visitors that is.

Dario Gradi - are you too old or too in love with Crewe for a new challenge?