Sign in to follow this  
Bill

This league is there for the taking

It will need taking though.We''ll do it by grinding out results week in, week out, as we have all September. 5 wins in all matches (which must make AN manager of the month).Currently on target for 102 point finish..... 138 if Septembers games were the yardstick.

ps maybe time to start polishing the old open top bus

must say ,i dont see a lot of quality about in this league so far and certainly nothing that should worry us.

would still think that newcastle are nailed on for one of the top 2 spots but we''ve been promoted out of this league in each of the last 2 seasons we''ve been in it, and we have a better squad here than we did in each of those seasons...and if anything I see the overall standard of the league weaker

Yes, it is the seemingly lower standard that makes me think that we can do it.The closed loan loophole will hit many clubs very hard. Many have gone for quality over quantity, which is great if you don''t get many injuries and suspensions.Although it can be argued that these losses all even themselves out, that is only amongst comparitive clubs ie those with a thin squad.Many of these will drop off a bit as the above takes it''s toll, whilst we have the likes of Nismith, Pritchard, Oliveira, Jarvis etc in the back ground. To field 10 ''new'' players and still win at Everton is a measure of that depth.Just keep grindig out the results and the rest will fall away.

The encouraging thing is that we are top of the league and yet we can play better. We look we''re on the verge of really clicking and going on a long unbeaten run. Squad depth is big bonus for us as are the Murphy''s form.

Long way to go and things can go wrong but I think there''s every chance that it''s us and Newcastle for the top spots.

"This league is here for the taking" is a ridiculous idea and I''m sure City 1st knows it. Yes, of course we have to grind out results, but the likes of Brighton, Villa, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Wolves and  Bristol City aren''t going to go away.  We''re top, but it''s going to be a tough, tough task to stay there.  We need performances like we had at Forest every game, because the way we have been playing in other matches, we are giving teams chances to get back into matches. Sooner and we will be caught out on occasions, unless we are more consistent in the way we perform. 

Agree with the OP

such a long, long way to go but this is our goddam league. We''re Norwich city, the championship SAS.

Let''s keep grinding

[quote user="lake district canary"]"This league is here for the taking" is a ridiculous idea and I''m sure City 1st knows it. Yes, of course we have to grind out results, but the likes of Brighton, Villa, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Wolves and  Bristol City aren''t going to go away.  We''re top, but it''s going to be a tough, tough task to stay there.  We need performances like we had at Forest every game, because the way we have been playing in other matches, we are giving teams chances to get back into matches. Sooner and we will be caught out on occasions, unless we are more consistent in the way we perform. 

[/quote]

if we''re worrying about the likes of Bristol C,Huddersfield,Wolves then that only serves to support the claim that this league really is there for the taking?

....Villa "aren''t going to go away" ?!?....they''ve got to get here first!!......1 win in 9 league games...

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]"This league is here for the taking" is a ridiculous idea and I''m sure City 1st knows it. Yes, of course we have to grind out results, but the likes of Brighton, Villa, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Wolves and  Bristol City aren''t going to go away.  We''re top, but it''s going to be a tough, tough task to stay there.  We need performances like we had at Forest every game, because the way we have been playing in other matches, we are giving teams chances to get back into matches. Sooner and we will be caught out on occasions, unless we are more consistent in the way we perform. 

[/quote]

if we''re worrying about the likes of Bristol C,Huddersfield,Wolves then that only serves to support the claim that this league really is there for the taking?

....Villa "aren''t going to go away" ?!?....they''ve got to get here first!!......1 win in 9 league games...[/quote]

Grinding results is not going to just happen on it''s own - we need to improve if we want to stay at the top.  Newcastle will be up near the top, Villa will improve without a doubt.  Don''t dismiss Brighton either.  Bristol city/Wolves/huddersfield are going to be there or thereabouts too.  It''s going to be a heck of a fight to stay top or second.  I hope people realise that.  We need to improve to stay top.

whilst it would be nice to maintain the standard of the Forest second half each week (and if we did we''d walk this league)...if nothing else, the first 9 games of this season have proved that actually we dont have to and will still win a lot of games.

yes we look dodgy at the back at times but whereas in the Premier League we would get severely punished, the fact is in this league ,teams aren''t good enough to capaitalise...top of the league and we''ve only really played well in about half of our games.

We''ve got 2 whole teams worth to pick from, plenty of options off the bench on any given matchday, there really isnt any reason why this shouldnt be sustained.

As I said before , we were promoted out of this league in each of the last 2 seasons we''ve been in it and have a better squad this time around.

Forest fans have been watching this league for a few seasons now ,so have a good idea of its standard.....when you read comments after last week that "Norwich are nailed on for the top 2", you have to think they have seen a better standard than the norm.

If the best that can be offered is '' Bristol C,Huddersfield,Wolves'' then that only reinforces my argument. Of course there will be clubs that are ''there or there about''. If we were to win every game and finish on 138 points there would still be teams in 2nd, 3rd and fourth place. It doesn''t mean they will be challenging us."We need to improve to stay top " really ? To get top we had to get more points than the others. We did. To stay top we only have to equal them.As stated it is thelack of loans that will hit most other teams. I have never seen us have such relative strength in depth, and that at a time when virtually the rest don''t.The OP was entitled ''there for the taking'' not ours, or that we will win it. It was more a comment on the standard of the opposition. It would therefore help if certain folk were to read and understand that rather than over exciting themselves and replying to what they have made up instead.