Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

Rude and arrogant

I think the premise is quite simple.  There are around 27000 people in the ground, maybe 1500 or so of them away fans, depending on the club involved.   1500 people who have paid money to be there and travelled quite some distance in a lot of cases - and they deserve consideration by the home club.   Give them a word of welcome and giving the team out to them is not going to hurt anyone, it''s not going to affect the match outcome, it''s not going to offend any Norwich fan if they do that (or shouldn''t, anyway).   I simply don''t get why this pseudo partisan approach by the announcers has become ok and the thing to do.  I don''t care what other clubs do with their away fans, I only care how my club treats it''s visitors.  Offer them the hand of welcome, acknowledge their existence, then take the three points off them and wish them a safe journey home.  Common courtesy never hurt anyone.   Ignoring or snubbing visitors does.  It''s crass and lacking in class.

I say let''s be savvy. Make it as hard for the away fans as possible.

Couldn''t care less if they don''t like us.

LDC

"I don''t care what other clubs do with their away fans, I only care how my club treats it''s visitors. Offer them the hand of welcome, acknowledge their existence, then take the three points off them and wish them a safe journey home.

Common courtesy never hurt anyone. Ignoring or snubbing visitors does. It''s crass and lacking in class."

Absolutely agree with this, be welcoming and then give their team a good stuffing. Why would we want it to be any other way?

And as you say, anything else is lacking in class.

[quote user="Buh"]I say let''s be savvy. Make it as hard for the away fans as possible.

Couldn''t care less if they don''t like us.[/quote]If someone comes round to your house to play something, cards, tiddlywinks, or whatever, would you welcome them into your house, or would you ignore them?     Welcoming opposing fans should bappen as a matter of course - that it often doesn''t at football grounds is a sad reflection of the state of things in football at the moment.  I expect better from our club.

I''ve never ever walked away from an away game wondering b about the hospitality shown by the home team. 100% of the time there have been thoughts and discussions about the game, and either frustration or elation at our result.

A few times, such as Wolves in 2014, I''ve noticed a warm welcome and have appreciated. However, I''m there to hopefully see a good game of football and whether we get a good welcome or not is of no interest to me. I really cannot see an issue here, if away fans are desperate to know the team they can either check their phones(or our new board) or actually just look at the pitch and work it out for themselves.

Have matchday programmes suddenly stopped carrying team information?Can people''s eyes no longer work, and in truth, what''s the desperate rush to find out who''s in the net for the opposition??Is looking at the match report later, suddenly too big an ask if you can''t recognise the player, see them listed in the programme and potentially hear the name over the tannoy as well???This entire thing has been blown so out of proportion that it''s not even funny, and has instead moved into the land of the ridiculous, and in truth I''ve not heard a single fan - of our club, or opposing clubs, get even slightly butthurt because the guy on the tannoy didn''t thank them for travelling - that''s what away fans do FFS, do we really need or care, whether or not we get a badly distorted vague thank you over the tannoy for the sake of appearances or not???I''m far more interested and concerned about what actually happens on the pitch and how it affects our club and our fans, than I am about some poxy message that means jack all in the grand scheme of things.

[quote user="morty"]I at least expect a cuddle from a Forest board member when I get there today.[/quote]

Highly unlikely seeing as when you were a kid they had to tie a lamb chop round your neck to get the dog to play with you .

[quote user="im spartacus"]I''m not embarrassed at all morty it''s my opinion I''m entitled to it and I shall have it. And I''d like to thank everyone who has contributed there opinions whether they agree or not ☺[/quote]The only embarrassed person on this thread should be the one who tried to hijack it with his sad outlook that if it is something he doesn''t agree with, then ridicule it, as in - "I was just confirming that Spartacus was, indeed, just being a whining fanny".   Nice. 

I went to Leeds once and the lady that gave me change for my beer looked at me most unwelcomingly

Nothing wrong with the thread Sparty, not an earth shattering subject but one worth chatting about. 👍

Sometimes being short leaves people feeling a bit insecure.