Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Norwich fan stories

This isn''t a dig at Norwich fans, or any single fan in particular, as there are thousands of excellent Norwich supporters. However, I thought I''d share my experiences of some Norwich fans from my trip to Carrow Road yesterday.

The bloke who I sit next to and chat to throughout the games was absent so I had my ears on the two fans in the row behind. To be fair, they do make some good points and sound a little insightful, but then ruin it with complete nonsense. One of the men had an obvious Hoolahan agenda. The kind of agenda where none of his good points are noticed at all, and you can almost imagine him with a notebook jotting down a black mark every time Wes makes a mistake. "All these flicks and turns are all well and good but he gives it away every time" was one such comment. In the second half Hoolahan dribbled past four or five Burton players, while at the same time this man was repeating "he''s gonna lose it, he''s gonna lose it". Wes got into the box, and with no support, tried to keep it there with four or five Burton players on him. It eventually went out for a goal kick at which point the Norwich fan almost gleefully let out a "told you so" celebration. Of course, what this chap had forgotten to acknowledge was the fact that Wes had kept the ball away from Burton for a good thirty seconds, and literally had no other option. There were also several other moments with a clever Wes flick or ball, and some cases where Hoolahan totally mugged off the opposition, but this bloke did not utter one compliment. Instead it''s just an agenda of highlighting all his mistakes. I don''t normally get involved but I couldn''t resist turning around and shaking my head with a dirty look on my face. The man next to him is a bit brighter, but still fires out some gems. We put a ball into Jerome in the second half, and the keeper was literally on top of him as the ball reached him. Jerome did well to actually get anything on it. Although according to this man, he should have scored easily. The kind of fan that expects players to outwit the laws of physics at times.

I left my seat with a minute to go and watched the last minute or so on the South Stand monitor. What I came across was a caricature of some of the negative posters on here and some Canary Callers. Here''s some of his highlights, all said in a moany, exasperated way:-

- Most of the team should be dropped, and if Alex Neil plays most of them against Newcastle he''s an idiot

- Watching as players give it away: "typical, we''ve been doing it all match. Pathetic"

- The defence has been so bad Bassong and Turner should start next game.

As I watched and listened to this man, I nearly had to check the score. We were 3-1 and top of the league and this gentleman was so irate and wound up it was unbelievable. He literally stormed off in a huff.

So, any other posters got any interesting stories of Norwich fans at Carrow Road?

I presume you are the guy that sits not to far from me who everyone refers to (mockingly) as the resident expert.

They are Norwich fans Solo, they have wide and diverse opinions.

They have a few beers on a Saturday and enjoy themselves.

There''s an old boy and an old woman who sit behind me

And I mean frigging OLD! Shawl in August old

she can barely see or hear what''s going on, he looks like he''s been re-animated.

Needless to say there''s been a few run ins in the past, standing being a big one.

I have a simple rule for standing. If the guy in front of me is standing then I''m standing. You can ask me to sit and we can both have a good view of his back if you want but I fail to see the point.

I''ve never seen them enter or leave the stadium, I don''t know how they manage it. They are there when I arrive and once I''ve clapped the players I turn around and poof! Gone! It''s all very mystical.

I admire their dedication but I don''t exaggerate that they are basically disabled, it''s sad to see. The other week when Ryan Bennett came on early in the game he said to her "looks like mulumbu''s coming on!" I''m not kidding!

She''ll just random things as well Jacobs spotting the ball for a corner and she''ll go "WE''ve GoT a CorNer!"

I do worry about them, they look one stiff winter from jacking it in but I can''t help but admire their dedication. Lot of hardly old b@stards at the football!

"One of the men had an obvious Hoolahan agenda"is that some kind of euphemism ?

I must be lucky, lower Barclay has mostly good fans, some great comments over the years from the guys who used to sit in the row behind! Amazing a few beers and Andy Hughes can do too a fan! Oh and Roeder was always a great target!

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]This isn''t a dig at Norwich fans, or any single fan in particular, as there are thousands of excellent Norwich supporters. However, I thought I''d share my experiences of some Norwich fans from my trip to Carrow Road yesterday.

The bloke who I sit next to and chat to throughout the games was absent so I had my ears on the two fans in the row behind. To be fair, they do make some good points and sound a little insightful, but then ruin it with complete nonsense. One of the men had an obvious Hoolahan agenda. The kind of agenda where none of his good points are noticed at all, and you can almost imagine him with a notebook jotting down a black mark every time Wes makes a mistake. "All these flicks and turns are all well and good but he gives it away every time" was one such comment. In the second half Hoolahan dribbled past four or five Burton players, while at the same time this man was repeating "he''s gonna lose it, he''s gonna lose it". Wes got into the box, and with no support, tried to keep it there with four or five Burton players on him. It eventually went out for a goal kick at which point the Norwich fan almost gleefully let out a "told you so" celebration. Of course, what this chap had forgotten to acknowledge was the fact that Wes had kept the ball away from Burton for a good thirty seconds, and literally had no other option. There were also several other moments with a clever Wes flick or ball, and some cases where Hoolahan totally mugged off the opposition, but this bloke did not utter one compliment. Instead it''s just an agenda of highlighting all his mistakes. I don''t normally get involved but I couldn''t resist turning around and shaking my head with a dirty look on my face. The man next to him is a bit brighter, but still fires out some gems. We put a ball into Jerome in the second half, and the keeper was literally on top of him as the ball reached him. Jerome did well to actually get anything on it. Although according to this man, he should have scored easily. The kind of fan that expects players to outwit the laws of physics at times.

I left my seat with a minute to go and watched the last minute or so on the South Stand monitor. What I came across was a caricature of some of the negative posters on here and some Canary Callers. Here''s some of his highlights, all said in a moany, exasperated way:-

- Most of the team should be dropped, and if Alex Neil plays most of them against Newcastle he''s an idiot

- Watching as players give it away: "typical, we''ve been doing it all match. Pathetic"

- The defence has been so bad Bassong and Turner should start next game.

As I watched and listened to this man, I nearly had to check the score. We were 3-1 and top of the league and this gentleman was so irate and wound up it was unbelievable. He literally stormed off in a huff.

So, any other posters got any interesting stories of Norwich fans at Carrow Road?[/quote]

Did anyone at the game mention the double pivot or is it the type of insight that can only be gleaned from watching on the wireless?

Buh.

The idea of putting seats in stadiums is to sit on them Why should you and others spoil it by standing.

I''ve had a season ticket in three different stands in my 14 years of following and you get all sorts.

My first seat (family corner between N+P and City stand) I met a girl who I went out with for two years.

Second seat (Barclay upper) I had a bloke who regularly referred to going off to the loos to check on his rash and has extremely ranty mate who would corner someone at half time and basically spent 15 minutes shouting in their face about how much he hated Matty Pattison.

Third and current seat in the South stand there is a decent (if sometimes extremely negative) lot who generally seem like they don''t take it too seriously. For some reason one of them also has it in for Wes though- counts up everytime he loses the ball.

Daly I don''t stand, at least not persistently, but if the 10 rows in front of me are standing, for whatever reason, then Im standing as well.

I''m not being nasty, it''s just I can see if I stand and if I don''t then I can''t.

That is the joy of watching football, people have pre ordained scapegoats, no matter what they do they will criticise. Mostly they are long standing season ticket holders who have never played the game at display little knowledge of the game, I wonder why they bother to go.

Well I sit in The Jarrold and the guy who sat next to me a few years back was a sponsor of a City footballer and who had adverts for his business showing on the boards prior to the electronic crap of today. He was a big gambler and was not worried to let fans know he had bet a few hundred pounds on City losing.

I used to sit in the upper Barclay next to some old gobby twunt who thought he was Brian Clough and had two phrases:

."oh no no no young man" whenever we gave the ball away.

''"Unacceptable" whenever the opposition scored.

On my other side in the Barclay was some morbidly obese supporter who had a grievance against the world and would put his headphones in and listen to techno if and when we went a goal down. So I get it.

Luckily no fatties around me. That, I could not stand.

There''s a guy just down the row from me that I swear raids Noel Edmunds wardrobe. Bright purple yesterday and they go with some people that sit behind them. The ladies with them brought a lidl based picnic for half time.

Don''t get me started on the picnic people!!!!

Lessingham Canary wrote the following post at 25/09/2016 8:27 PM:

And this is what makes football, i''m sure every ground in the UK is the same on match day.

👍

[quote user="Katie Borkins"] On my other side in the Barclay was some morbidly obese supporter who had a grievance against the world and would put his headphones in and listen to techno if and when we went a goal down. So I get it.[/quote]
Did he have two seats?

I hear the club are bringing out an all in one slipper in the form of a NCFC footy boot to go along with the blankets in time for Christmas Nutty! ;-)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I would share but I''m afraid what happens in the blankets stays in the blankets...[/quote]That sounds more disgusting than it''s supposed to[+o(][:D]

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I would share but I''m afraid what happens in the blankets stays in the blankets...[/quote]That sounds more disgusting than it''s supposed to[+o(][:D][/quote]
I could tell you some tales.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Herman"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I would share but I''m afraid what happens in the blankets stays in the blankets...[/quote]That sounds more disgusting than it''s supposed to[+o(][:D][/quote]
I could tell you some tales.....
[/quote]I''ve sat in with the blankets a few times and in one game a chap who shall remain nameless - no, it wasn''t Nutty - was desperate for a pee so whipped out his appendage where he sat and was filling up his bottle just as we so happened to score.While all around including his carer were leaping about celebrating said person just continued in full flow disappearing in an ever increasing cloud of steam.Priceless.....