Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

Captain Calamity's Cover-up Continues

For those of you who were not at todays game and have not seen the footage, you should be told of Martin''s starring role in the immediate lead-up to the Burton goal.

Reading Archant will give you nothing on this, Ricardo''s report spreads the blame across the back four and the link on this forum has been edited to pick up the action in our six-yard, just after Martin''s abject defending had put them there.

To be fair Martin did get beaten in the air again in the lead up to the goal which led to the six yard box carnage.

Despite our lofty position, the quality of our defending is still a worry with away games at Newcastke and Wolves approaching and whilst we will get away with it most weeks Martin back at CB will cost us in some games. Klose is not playing well at the moment either.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]For those of you who were not at todays game and have not seen the footage, you should be told of Martin''s starring role in the immediate lead-up to the Burton goal.

Reading Archant will give you nothing on this, Ricardo''s report spreads the blame across the back four and the link on this forum has been edited to pick up the action in our six-yard, just after Martin''s abject defending had put them there.[/quote]

Archant, Ricardo and Sky Sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!Where does the conspiricy end? Who will investigate?All this on the day Corbin was re-elected, join the dots and follow the money people, the truth is out there.

Last few games have summed up Russell Martin''s career here to date perfectly - the odd mistake which is inevitable against fellow pro''s but why focus on that when the ratio is completely and utterly skewed towards what he does brilliantly for us?!?! Scraping the barrel OP, scraping the barrel 👏

Of course, he could never make a mistake ever, and be the standout unanimous greatest footballer of all time? 👍

It''s not so much mistakes as much as just getting beaten to balls that a natural centre back wins, mainly in the air.

We can get away with it in most games this season but we probably won''t if he does it on Wednesday or next weekend.

Realistically Jim, again, if he wins every single one of those balls that he should be winning - is it even actually possible buddy?! Can you name me a centre back that does exactly that?! It''s for that reason that I''m happy with the Russ Martin who for a defender chips in with more than his fair share of goals etc.

I''ve already said that we can probably get by with him there and yes the fact he chips in with a few goals is helpful. But it''s not about winning "every" ball it''s about not losing balls that a half decent centre back should be winning and for me that happens a bit too often, partly because his instinctive movements and positional sense are those of a full back.

Yesterday was the first home game this season I''ve missed, so can''t really comment on anyone''s performance as I was confined to watching it on the radio. However from the games I have seen this season I would say it is unfair to single out individuals for any of the goals that we have conceded. There has be a regular air of collective panic from our back four whenever balls come into the box. Many of the goals we have let in have been as a result of us not getting to the second, or sometimes even third, ball first. On all too many occasions there has been a episode of penalty box pinball, which often ends up with the ball in our goal. Now for this season, as some have said, I think we can get away with this as we have enough going forwards and Championship teams are only likely to punish us for such indiscretions 1 time out of 2 or 3. If(when) we get promoted, it is something that we need to address before signing any more central midfielders, as Premier League teams are far more clinical. But for the time being I expect that Pinto, Klose, Martin and Olsson will be plenty good enough to see us to promotion this season.

Martin was better than Klose today who made a collection of individual errors and was even poor in the air.

So if people are going to call for Martin to be replaced, does the same not apply to Klose?

Big fan of Klose, but he was absolutely dreadful for 85 minutes yesterday - caught miles out of position and won maybe 2/3 balls in the air (which went all over the shop anyway).

Interesting that people want to focus on one ball where Martin missed out, but are happy to overlook Klose''s pretty awful performance yesterday.

[quote user="Ian"]Big fan of Klose, but he was absolutely dreadful for 85 minutes yesterday - caught miles out of position and won maybe 2/3 balls in the air (which went all over the shop anyway).

Interesting that people want to focus on one ball where Martin missed out, but are happy to overlook Klose''s pretty awful performance yesterday.[/quote]
Exactly this - the need for some fans to target certain players irrespective of performance is probably related to their own personal failings in life and the need to take it out on someone.

So RM comes in at CB for the last 4 games and we win all 4. His use of the ball is superior to Klose, yesterday 140% more long balls than Klose (12 v 5) with a success rate 45% higher than Klose (7 v 2).

Yes Klose wins more aerials, well there''s a surprise, he''s taller and is the CB more likely to go for the high ball with RM sweeping up behind.

In the last 4 games every player has made errors, RM less than most, yet the OP hones in on it?

And finally, the one thing Pinto and Klose benefit from the RM does not, is RM covering for them, occasionally to his own demise, but that''s what is called teamwork and imo he''s damn good at it.

Klose is a decent CB but by no means error free and not the quickest to turn, that said he''ll do for me at the moment, as will RM, who I think we are lucky to have.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I''ve already said that we can probably get by with him there and yes the fact he chips in with a few goals is helpful. But it''s not about winning "every" ball it''s about not losing balls that a half decent centre back should be winning and for me that happens a bit too often, partly because his instinctive movements and positional sense are those of a full back.[/quote]I''d suggest "his movements and positional sense" are those of a centre back maximising his full back''s opportunities to be the attacking full back the manager intends?

Indeed Westcoast. Like last time in this division and originally in the PL Alex Neil likes his full backs to be wingers. Often they are the furthest forward of the whole team. So when we attack the central defenders split. This works particularly well with Russ at cb. Football is a team game and we rely on players being disciplined to know their roles. Yesterday Martin was left with two positions to cover. It''s too simplistic to say he was out of position. However if playing this way cost us the goal yesterday it should also be noted that both full backs scored so the team was in credit.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Knock off Nige"]Danielsroundabout. We won. So what is the point of your post[/quote]

The FACT that Martin is not a centre back.[/quote]Putting it in capitals doesn''t make it a fact, FACT. [:|]

[quote user="Alex "]Realistically Jim, again, if he wins every single one of those balls that he should be winning - is it even actually possible buddy?! Can you name me a centre back that does exactly that?! It''s for that reason that I''m happy with the Russ Martin who for a defender chips in with more than his fair share of goals etc.[/quote]

Russell Martin was poor the last time we were in The Championship and he hasnt got any better!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Knock off Nige"]Danielsroundabout. We won. So what is the point of your post[/quote]

The FACT that Martin is not a centre back.[/quote]Putting it in capitals doesn''t make it a fact, FACT. [:|][/quote]

But it is a fact that he is not a centre back.

We''ve won 4 games with Russ playing so whats the problem, I know it''s hard for Benno to be on the bench but he''s a professional and will understand that not many managers will change a winning team.

So "not good" that we''ve won every single game since he''s been back in the squad (with the majority of this time at CB or covering at LB)? So "not good" that we are now top of the table, 4 points above CL winner Benitez, and miles ahead of big spending Villa?

Do you really think the squad could carry a poor CB for several games without getting found out? It''s a team game and there''s no arguing with the fact the team has done substantially better since Martin has been back.

Just leave the Captain alone and enjoy the fact we''re on a phenomenal run of results with him in the squad.

I think you''ll find that Russell Martin IS a centre back, based upon the FACT that both his international and last two club managers have been playing him there for several seasons. You know, them managers with all their relevant coaching qualifications and football knowledge.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Russell Martin was poor the last time we were in The Championship and he hasnt got any better![/quote]You mean the season we were promoted and Martin was named as 1 of the 2 CB''s in the Championship team of the season....tell me again how poor he is...