Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Serge Canos

What''s happened to this youngster?

Have I missed something? Has he an injury? Is there problem?

Not on the recently. Not in the last cup game and not in any of the team predictions for Newcastle.

His signing was the brightest aspect of the Summer''s business for me and he has looked pretty lively when used.

He''s had three appearances in the league this season (starting once against B''ham) I believe, one in the cup, and was on the bench against Everton.

Who would you have him in the squad ahead of - the Murphys? Pritchard?

I feel for the lad, but more likely is that he''s just behind better, or in-form, players at the moment. I am sure his time will come over the course of what will be a very long season.

Yes. I accept that the form of others, particularly the Murphys, is the reason that he is being sidelined, but he seems virtually off the radar all of a sudden and I would have expected him to start against Everton (did he feature from the bench at all?)

I note that AN continues to have two central defenders on the bench. I would replace one of them with SC, but I''m sure others will come up with tactical reasons why this is not a good idea.

Spoke to him through work last week. Seemed quite happy, was hoping to be involved in the 18 on Saturday, obviously didn''t quite make it.
I''m sure he''s in and around, bit like Naismith.

I don''t think there is anything sinister, we have a strong squad which is top of the league. The Brum game was our worst display and he was in the team so he needs to work hard and wait for his chance which might be some while if the Murphy''s form continues.

Wouldn''t be hugely surprised if we loaned him out in January- he came here to play games so can''t be delighted to not even make the bench.

Was he poor in the Birmingham game?  Maybe anyone who went there or any

of the illuminati could give us an idea?  Did he work hard enough or

track back enough or do anything to make the manager think he wasn''t

doing his job?  Difficulty in keeping such a big squad of players all happy.  You would have thought that Naismith and Canos would be sure fire starters this season, but with the Murphys coming of age and Pritchard in the mix, he is down the pecking order.  Hope he gets his chance at some stage, but then I hope the Murphys play well enough to keep him out!   What a great squad we have if the likes of Canos can''t get a regular start.  

In a team that''s just won 5 times in a row it''s going to be hard for any player to get a look in.

We bought Pritchard for 8 million and he''s barely had a look in

Nothing to do with skill, just current team form.

Don''t think he played particularly well when given his chance vs Birmingham. He''s only 19, his time will come. Gonna be a long season and with the EFL cup & the FL trophy he will probably get a chance to shine there.

Move Klose;-

Don''t think he played particularly well when given his chance vs Birmingham. He''s only 19, his time will come. Gonna be a long season and with the EFL cup & the FL trophy he will probably get a chance to shine there.

He didn''t do any worse that day than Bennett and Klose that day, though he did look very lightweight, he will do ok when his chance comes along.

Little bit random to compare his performances to our centre backs- different positions and less in the way of options there for us.

King Canary

Little bit random to compare his performances to our centre backs- different positions and less in the way of options there for us

Not random, the lad is being held up as had a poor game, in his only start, when we were terrible and it started from the back, not the front that day (Naismith took a lot from the travelling support, but CB''s got off lightly) imo.

He is a classic victim of having a good squad; not indicative of being a bad un or poor scouting; AN thought enough of him to start v Brum; but he had a very quiet game and like Naismith simply paid the price and was dropped.

Unfortunately for both of them the players coming in have performed well in subsequent games, including josh from the bench, making selection harder for them but easier for the manager.

His time will come with injury and/or the loss of form that will happen in the coming weeks for josh and jacob; He is a talented lad but will just have to bide his time.

A sign of progressive signings and future planning.

[quote user="ZLF"]He is a classic victim of having a good squad; not indicative of being a bad un or poor scouting; AN thought enough of him to start v Brum; but he had a very quiet game and like Naismith simply paid the price and was dropped.

Unfortunately for both of them the players coming in have performed well in subsequent games, including josh from the bench, making selection harder for them but easier for the manager.

His time will come with injury and/or the loss of form that will happen in the coming weeks for josh and jacob; He is a talented lad but will just have to bide his time.

A sign of progressive signings and future planning.[/quote]

Absolutely. It is a sure sign that the squad quality is deep.  I''m sure him and Naismith thought they were shoe in for starts in the team. Really they are no better off than they were at their premier lague clubs - playing a lesser role from the bench.  Perhaps they have been surprised at how good our squad is overall, but it does mean that the potential for next season, should we get promoted, is very good.  I hope they stay and are part of a transition to the top league that means we can make a better fist of staying up next time, but in the meantime they will have to fight to get in the first team.  That can only be a good thing.  

Currently quite a few young players with plenty of promise making up the squad or out on loan getting valuable game time. Makes for good reading. Personally think whether we gain promotion or not this will be the last year for the likes of Turner, Whittaker, Mulumbu, Lafferty, Jarvis, Naismith. And in with the new.

Thompson (21), Canos (19), Pritchard (23), Josh Murphy(21), Jacob Murphy (21), Toffolo (21), Godfrey (18) Maddison (19), Matthews (22), Morris (20).

It just shows how strong our squad is. AN probably said to the player before the Everton match "Go out there a prove you should be playing in the 1st team"  Which they did !  You can''t shoehorn 22 into 12 first team players.  look at that team :--1. John Ruddy 2. Steven Whittaker 6. Sebastien Bassong 7. Steven Naismith 9. Nelson Oliveira 18. Youssouf Mulumbu 21. Alex Pritchard 24. Ryan Bennett 12. Robbie Brady 31. Josh Murphy 34. Louis Thompson Subs13. Paul Jones 17. Sergi Canos 19. Kyle Lafferty 26. Michael Turner 30. Carlton Morris 35. Ben Godfrey 37. Raymond Grant
All could be shouting about being in the 1st team

The fact that Canos, Turner & Lafferty couldn''t get into the "2nd XI" add to that Toffolo, Andreu & Maddison are all out on loan aswell. Tells ya how strong the competition is.

All could get into other champ sides 1st XI.

That''s why I reckon a big clear out will happen next summer no matter what division we are in.

I remember AN saying something after the game along the lines of "players who were trying to convince me they should be in the team haven''t done so".

After that Whittaker, Naismith and Canos haven''t been seen in a league match again.

I''m sure there is plenty to come from Canos given time.