Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Newcastle guide

Making the long trip tomorrow night, anyone know the away pubs for away fans? Although I can''t imagine there''ll be too many of us in there...

Cheers in advance!

The couple of times I have been there I went on the coach, and just had a drink in the ground.From an away fan''s guide :-

The ground is one of the few remaining in the country that is literally right in the centre of the city. You are only a few minutes walk from the main shopping areas of Newcastle. There are plenty of bars to choose from in the city centre, but most away fans tend to favour the pubs opposite and around Newcastle Railway Station. The ''A Head Of Steam'' ''The Lounge'' and ''O''Neills'' are all recommended, but some of these bars will only admit fans if colours are covered and none of them admitted children. Also nearby is a Wetherspoons outlet called the Union Rooms. Alternatively there is Idols which has strippers and is popular with both home and away fans. 

On my last visit I went to the Bodega on Westgate Road and had no problems. This pub is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and had a friendly atmosphere. Closer to the ground (and just around the corner from China Town which is good for a cheap lunch) is the Newcastle Arms on St Andrews Street. This pub is also in the Good Beer Guide, but unless you arrive very early and have no colours you are unlikely to gain entrance. Just down the road is ''The Backpage'' book shop, which is an oasis of football books, DVD''s, programmes and memorabilia. Alcohol is also served within the ground.

Can''t make it tomorrow as unfortunately I''m working in the south-west.

Whenever I''ve been to Newcastle it''s been a nightmare to park, although mid-week may not be so bad. I''d check one of those park on my drive websites.  I''ve had times when I''ve been glad I was driving an old car, given where I ended up parking it.

Also the away fans are ridiculously high up, so after you get inside the ground, you have about 20 flights of stairs to climb.  So don''t cut it fine when you arrive !

[quote user="The Engineer"]Don''t suppose anyone knows where the better places to park are?[/quote]I''ve always parked in Gateshead in one of the car parks by the Sage Centre. Plenty of parking for around £5 for the duration. Just across the river and a 10/15 minute walk from the ground. Beats some of the traffic, especially if you''re driving south after the match.