Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team changes for Newcastle?

But your team doesn''t make sense. Jacob Murphy has never played through the middle and has Wes, Pritchard, and probably Howson and Naismith ahead of him for that role anyway. No way would Alex Neil suddenly put out an experimental team like that in a big game away at Newcastle.

Its a no brainer really. Bring Tettey or Mulumbu in for Dorrans to give us the steel we will need for a tough away game and give Brady a rest as he looked cream crackered yesterday, bring Pritchard in, play him right, Jacob on the left, the rest of the team should stay the same. I honestly cannot understand you putting Jacob in the no 10 role.. bizarre.

Bit bizarre that you would suggest wholesale personnel and formation changes to a team that has just started to find some consistency in the league.

I would expect the team to remain pretty much the same, barring forced changes due to injury. Perhaps Tettey may come in, but I would be concerned that might upset the current balance in the centre.

Would anyone really want to see Naismith start ahead Wes? Pritchard has more chance of starting in my opinion.

Lakey had a view, I''m not going bash him for that, but it''s strange line up!

I could see maybe a couple changes, Murphy brothers switched and Tettey back in, but I don''t think Howson will be dropped so could be Dorrans on the bench.

Another lacklustre Brady performance could see Pritchard start on the right of Wes against Wolves, maybe.

I''m with Morty wouldn''t change a winning team, but might make changes far earlier to get fresh legs on.

In order to get the very competitive best out of our squad, I don''t think you change a winning team. This means that players know that if they perform then they keep their place. A lot of complaints have been about AN tinkering with the first 11, so I see no reason why Dorrans, who''s been great since coming into the side should be dropped. It sends out the wrong message as far as I''m concerned, I don''t want players to think it doesn''t matter if I play well or bad, it''ll make no difference to my chances next game, that''s just wrong.

Finally, I''d rather let Newcastle worry about us and how they''re going to combat an improving side - we''re top of the league, they are not.

Surely Ruddy has to return soon ?

McGovern is good but yesterday highlighted his unwillingness to leave his line and away to Newcastle is a game where you always feel the home side gets driven forward by the crowd.

I wouldn''t change the team but think Tettey will be on the bench plus I would like to see Naismith on the bench, though not sure who I would drop for them two tbh

Whatever the formation is I bet the players don''t stick to it. They''ll be running around chasing the ball, other players and the play in general.Perhaps we could mark out the pitch like hopscotch, then we, and especially the players, would know where they are supposed to be.Look at last Saturday. What was Olsson and Pinto doing in their penalty box ? I thought they were part of the 4 at the back.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]But your team doesn''t make sense. Jacob Murphy has never played through the middle and has Wes, Pritchard, and probably Howson and Naismith ahead of him for that role anyway. No way would Alex Neil suddenly put out an experimental team like that in a big game away at Newcastle.[/quote]

It makes sense to the extent that I have put in Tettey and moved Dorrans left - and he has played there plenty of times in his career.  The issue of putting in Thompson as well is to stifle the Toons midfield.   With Tettey and Thompson watching the centre, Howson and Dorrans can cover the full backs.  It may look defensive, but with some pace in front of him in the way of Jacob Murphy, who can play left right or centre we have an outlet with pace.  Jerome is more likely to start than Oliveira, I grant you, but it is well within the possibility that the team I have suggested will appear as that at some stage through the match if the starting line up is unchanged and Wes, Brady and Jerome are subbed for Tettey, Thompson and Oliveira. If the team is that at the end of the match, there is no reason why it couldn''t have been that at the beginning of it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]"Don''t change a winning team" is an age old saying, but for Wednesday, maybe a little tweaking could be necessary?   We are not yet playing consistently well and although results are there and the last away performance was excellent - maybe time to bring back Tettey?  Or Naismith for his experience in big matches?   This is Newcastle away and while they are just another championship club, they have players who can cause more problems than most of the rest of the division.  Those that have seen the last few matches, would you put in Tettey for Dorrans - or is he playing well enough to keep Tettey out?  Would you bring in Thompson or Mulumbu?  The memory of last season''s visit is fresh in all our minds, I''m sure, so a good strong defence and robust midfield is going to be important. How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 OliveiraStrong midfield, leaving out Wes, but Jacob is more likely to be able to do something on the break.  So defend strong and look for a breakaway goal.  What do you think should be the changes, if any?

[/quote]You''re obviously on a wind up [:P]

Tettey/Mulumbu in for Wes, Howson forward only change I would make. quite why you would suggest to make so many changes to the shape and personnel of a team that has won 5 on the spin LDC is laughable...

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]I was saying on Saturday that we look more balanced in midfield without Tettey, not sure he should come back at the expense of either Dora''s or Howson or Hoolahan.......[/quote]He shouldn''t and neither should the Dorrans/Howson partnership in the, dare I say it? Double pivot be interfered with.I fully expect Neil to go with the same formation and team against Newcastle [Y]

[quote user="willo"]Tettey/Mulumbu in for Wes, Howson forward only change I would make. quite why you would suggest to make so many changes to the shape and personnel of a team that has won 5 on the spin LDC is laughable...[/quote]

My fear, willo, is that we are too attacking and open for a team like Newcastle.   We were last season and we paid the penalty.  Tettey was a key player that day and the moment he was removed from the pitch, we lost any possible control of the midfield.  Surely it is not a step too far to put him in and have four across the midfield?      We have played in the past with Howson, Tettey and Dorrans and Johnson as a four across midfield - for instance away at Brighton 2014-15- which we won. If  Dorrans takes the wide left Johnson position (which he also did that season several times from the bench in matches we won - eg away at Blackburn) then Thompson is a good fit for the central position.  So how is  Howson Tettey Thompson Dorrans laughable as a midfield four?  And if we need to play on the break, why is Ja Murphy laughable?  More likely to get a run on the Newcastle defenders than Wes - and his pace could mean he goes left, right or central - could be a real handful.  As for Jerome, I agree that he should probably start, but surely Oliveira isn''t far from a start?  Maybe my suggestion is too radical and too many changes, but as I said, if the team is unchanged from the last few games, it is not inconceivable that during the game, depending what happens, Wes could be subbed for Tettey, Jerome for Oliveira and Brady for Thompson.  So if that is possible and we end up with the team on the pitch that I suggest as a starter team - why on earth is it so far fetched to think it could have been a starting line up? 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="willo"]Tettey/Mulumbu in for Wes, Howson forward only change I would make. quite why you would suggest to make so many changes to the shape and personnel of a team that has won 5 on the spin LDC is laughable...[/quote]

My fear, willo, is that we are too attacking and open for a team like Newcastle.   We were last season and we paid the penalty.  Tettey was a key player that day and the moment he was removed from the pitch, we lost any possible control of the midfield.  Surely it is not a step too far to put him in and have four across the midfield?      We have played in the past with Howson, Tettey and Dorrans and Johnson as a four across midfield - for instance away at Brighton 2014-15- which we won. If  Dorrans takes the wide left Johnson position (which he also did that season several times from the bench in matches we won - eg away at Blackburn) then Thompson is a good fit for the central position.  So how is  Howson Tettey Thompson Dorrans laughable as a midfield four?  And if we need to play on the break, why is Ja Murphy laughable?  More likely to get a run on the Newcastle defenders than Wes - and his pace could mean he goes left, right or central - could be a real handful.  As for Jerome, I agree that he should probably start, but surely Oliveira isn''t far from a start?  Maybe my suggestion is too radical and too many changes, but as I said, if the team is unchanged from the last few games, it is not inconceivable that during the game, depending what happens, Wes could be subbed for Tettey, Jerome for Oliveira and Brady for Thompson.  So if that is possible and we end up with the team on the pitch that I suggest as a starter team - why on earth is it so far fetched to think it could have been a starting line up? 

[/quote]

I personally wouldn''t make that many changes but I do take your point on a sitting midfielder. If Tettey is fit, think I''d start him in place of Dorrans of Howson. Other than that I''d keep the same team.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="willo"]Tettey/Mulumbu in for Wes, Howson forward only change I would make. quite why you would suggest to make so many changes to the shape and personnel of a team that has won 5 on the spin LDC is laughable...[/quote]

[/quote]

I personally wouldn''t make that many changes but I do take your point on a sitting midfielder. If Tettey is fit, think I''d start him in place of Dorrans of Howson. Other than that I''d keep the same team.[/quote]

I''d be ok with that too. I just think AN may tweak things a bit more for Wednesday. He will probably have last year''s match there very much in mind.

Would that be last year''s match where he made changes then regretted it, wishing he had just stuck to our attacking principals?

[quote user="morty"]Would that be last year''s match where he made changes then regretted it, wishing he had just stuck to our attacking principals?[/quote]Errrr...he replaced tettey with Wes. In other words made us more attacking - and open.

If he makes changes he will be the tinkerman. If he doesn''t be will be playing his favourites.

And what about Naismith? Just weeks after reading that it was in his contract to play every game I''m now told that is not being played because it''s in his contract that if he plays another game we have to punt out a load more dosh to Everton.

Added to that he could make 10 changes and still put out a team that won their last game....

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="willo"]Tettey/Mulumbu in for Wes, Howson forward only change I would make. quite why you would suggest to make so many changes to the shape and personnel of a team that has won 5 on the spin LDC is laughable...[/quote]

[/quote]Cut to 2:12: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EM8ptNULI&feature=youtu.be[/url]Now, after Burton it could be argued that the Dorrans/Howson pairing renders the back four a tad vulnerable, ''though that certainly wasn''t apparent versus Forest and most would agree that said duo weren''t to fault Saturday - that said, Neil might see fit to field Tettey with either of the former in order to secure more confidence defensively.As previous, I''d go with the same starting 11.Other than that the current formation is

Fair enough.  Though if we struggle because we underestimate Newcastle, play too openly and go behind, it is too late to shut up shop.  I would put Tettey back in and keep Dorrans and Howson - both of whom have been playing well by all accounts. If you take out Brady to accomodate Tettey in that situation, my thinking was put Dorrans out on the left where he has played well in the past and put Thompson in as well  to have your favourite of a double pivot of Tettey and Thompson, with Howson and Dorrans on either side and able to help stifle Newcastle''s pacy play. If things go well, either Howson and Dorrans can play further forward.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 OliveiraStrong midfield, leaving out Wes, but Jacob is more likely to be able to do something on the break.  So defend strong and look for a breakaway goal.  What do you think should be the changes, if any? [/quote]
Whilst I think you''re probably just having a bit of a laugh with this, we''re not going to play this type of formation or team for several reasons..
1) We''ll have lost the width provided by Pinto and Olsson as they''ll have defensively minded midfielders in front of them as opposed to space created by a narrow attacking 3.
2) Jacob has been good but expecting him to cause problems by himself against Newcastle is probably a bit optimistic. His best performances tend to come alongside his link-up play with the likes of Hoolahan.
3) If we play the midfield you suggest we would need Hoolahan as the link up between midfield and attack.
4) Starting Oliveira without Hoolahan would be suicidal. We would have no way of stretching the Newcastle back line and their defence would love us to play a Striker who has no real pace and will be facing towards his own goal for the most part. Jacob will end up too deep and doesn''t have the strength or aerial ability to be the outlet - he''ll struggle to hold onto the ball for long enough for our support to join in - we''ll naturally be deep with no real wingers.
5) I wouldn''t personally drop Dorrans.

Even though we have two tough away games three days apart, I don''t think we should change anything for Wednesday with Saturday in mind. Any changes should be based only on what will work best against Newcastle. Agree that Brady looked exhausted, really don''t think he can start Wednesday and Saturday.With that in mind, what about:McGovernPinto Martin Klose OlssonDorrans TetteyJacob Howson PritchardJeromeThen Howson can drop deeper to support Dorrans and Tettey where required. Wes, Brady, Josh and Nelson on the bench should offer enough options to change it up if required. Wes is playing superbly at the moment, but ''horses for courses'' – Pritchard can offer the creativity, and Jacob the pace.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Even though we have two tough away games three days apart, I don''t think we should change anything for Wednesday with Saturday in mind. Any changes should be based only on what will work best against Newcastle. Agree that Brady looked exhausted, really don''t think he can start Wednesday and Saturday.With that in mind, what about:McGovernPinto Martin Klose OlssonDorrans TetteyJacob Howson PritchardJeromeThen Howson can drop deeper to support Dorrans and Tettey where required. Wes, Brady, Josh and Nelson on the bench should offer enough options to change it up if required. Wes is playing superbly at the moment, but ''horses for courses'' – Pritchard can offer the creativity, and Jacob the pace.[/quote]Newcastle are likely to field a 4-4-1-1 with pacey wingers in Ritchie & Gouffron, so it''ll be Pinto & Olsson who will be required to stay deeper than usual -- Howson will remain deeper in the double pivot with either Dorrans or Tettey -- we do not need seven players playing defensively - it''s Newcastle not Bayern München [:|]

Like it or not, Newcastle put plenty past us when we were too open at their place last season.  So we need to be setup for a serious away test.  At the same time, as we showed at Forest we can do well away from home, and I think we''re better set up to counter attack this season than last season.

Defo Olsson and Pinto if they have pacey wingers, I''d be happy with Brady/Jacob in front of them to continue to build those team understandings.  I''d go with Dorrans/Howson in centre midfield, they''re able to vary their game and drop back more to give cover if we''re under pressure, or alternate one of them attacking with the other to cover when needed.

Wes ?  For me, it''s about whether he''s fit enough to start a 3rd game in quick succession.  If not, I''d go for someone like Pritchard to replace.  Ditto upfront, no change if Jerome is ready to start again.

For me it''s the way we set the team up to play as much as personnel. We could go with the settled team but with the full backs restrained. If we want them to be attacking then maybe play 3 at the back with wing backs. But how the feck that would work with a double pivot is beyond me[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]For me it''s the way we set the team up to play as much as personnel. We could go with the settled team but with the full backs restrained. If we want them to be attacking then maybe play 3 at the back with wing backs. But how the feck that would work with a double pivot is beyond me[;)][/quote]The DP mainly pertains to the 4-2-3-1, Nigel [:|]