Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team changes for Newcastle?

"Don''t change a winning team" is an age old saying, but for Wednesday, maybe a little tweaking could be necessary?   We are not yet playing consistently well and although results are there and the last away performance was excellent - maybe time to bring back Tettey?  Or Naismith for his experience in big matches?   This is Newcastle away and while they are just another championship club, they have players who can cause more problems than most of the rest of the division.  Those that have seen the last few matches, would you put in Tettey for Dorrans - or is he playing well enough to keep Tettey out?  Would you bring in Thompson or Mulumbu?  The memory of last season''s visit is fresh in all our minds, I''m sure, so a good strong defence and robust midfield is going to be important. How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 OliveiraStrong midfield, leaving out Wes, but Jacob is more likely to be able to do something on the break.  So defend strong and look for a breakaway goal.  What do you think should be the changes, if any?

[quote user="lake district canary"]How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 Oliveira[/quote]How about WTF???That setup removes a huge amount of width, as neither Howson nor Dorrans really suit being out to the side instead of centrally, in no way has Thompson played his way into a start over other options, and why the hell would you pick Jacob to play the Wes role when we have Pritchard raring to go and even Naismith who have both played that position FAR more than Jacob? Also, if fit, Jerome has to start.Also, It''s time for Ruddy to return IMHO, I''d personally be looking at this:                    RuddyPinto,   Martin,   Klose,   Olsson             Tettey, DorransJa Murphy,  Wes/Pritchard,  Brady                   JeromeBench:McGovernBennettMulumbuHowsonJo MurphyNaismithOliveira

I don''t think we can be so open in this game. A better team than Burton would have punished us for some of the openings we let them have and Newcastle are a better team.

We need a defensive midfielder for this one whether it''s Tettey or Thompson. The only question in my mind is whether you then drop one of Dorrans or Howson or one of those two plays a wider role. I suspect he will do the latter.

Personally I would bring Bennett in at the back but Neil won''t.

[quote user="lake district canary"]"Don''t change a winning team" is an age old saying, but for Wednesday, maybe a little tweaking could be necessary?   We are not yet playing consistently well and although results are there and the last away performance was excellent - maybe time to bring back Tettey?  Or Naismith for his experience in big matches?   This is Newcastle away and while they are just another championship club, they have players who can cause more problems than most of the rest of the division.  Those that have seen the last few matches, would you put in Tettey for Dorrans - or is he playing well enough to keep Tettey out?  Would you bring in Thompson or Mulumbu?  The memory of last season''s visit is fresh in all our minds, I''m sure, so a good strong defence and robust midfield is going to be important. How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 OliveiraStrong midfield, leaving out Wes, but Jacob is more likely to be able to do something on the break.  So defend strong and look for a breakaway goal.  What do you think should be the changes, if any?

[/quote]

Anyone with half a brain cell would know Howson CAN''T play right wing and Dorrans on the left is just as bad.

Worst team selection idea yet

McGovern

Pinto Bennett klose olsson

Tettey Howson

Ja Murphy Pritchard Brady

Jerome

Ruddy

Hoolahan

Martin

Oliveira

Dorrans

Jo Murphy

Thompson

I think Martin has many mistakes in him which will lead to goals for Newcastle

Give hoolahan the last half hour (score depending)

Keep jerome in the team just for his work rate. Nothing else

I understand like for like changes, but seriously that is possibly the worst line up possible

For a start, we have 4 straight wins in the league, our only defeat this season was caused by not playing a striker which caused us to deviate from how we had been playing (yes there were other reasons, but to me that was the biggest)

Why change formation?

Everybody knows where they play and what there role is and it''s working - we are top of the league. We don''t need to be scared of Newcastle, we probably aren''t expected to get anything so it''s almost a free shot.

I can understand Oliviera for Jerome, maybe Naismith for Hoolahan and bringing Tettey back in, probably for Dorrans (Howson probably has a better engine imo) but that would be it.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 Oliveira[/quote]

How about WTF???That setup removes a huge amount of width, as neither Howson nor Dorrans really suit being out to the side instead of centrally, in no way has Thompson played his way into a start over other options, and why the hell would you pick Jacob to play the Wes role when we have Pritchard raring to go and even Naismith who have both played that position FAR more than Jacob? Also, if fit, Jerome has to start.Also, It''s time for Ruddy to return IMHO, I''d personally be looking at this:                    RuddyPinto,   Martin,   Klose,   Olsson             Tettey, DorransJa Murphy,  Wes/Pritchard,  Brady                   Jerome

[/quote]

Howson and Dorrans played on the right and left effectively in the last championship season on occasion and it makes sure we don''t hand over midfield intiative to Newcastle.  The emphasis on width in this game is less important, imo, as more important will be the ability to play on the break - and Ja Murphy''s pace is ideal for that. As for Ruddy - in your words - WTF?  What has McGovern done to deserve to be dropped?

Why would Naismith replace Wes when Pritchard is sitting on the bench in recent games?

Also as others why try to shore up the midfield inviting pressure onto our defence?

Our players are good enough to cope with Newcastle.

The only change I''d go for is Ruddy in for McGovern and possibly Bennet or Bassong for Martin, Newcastle have a couple big units up top who might play, but wouldn''t be too bothered if the team didn''t change.

I don''t think we got out of third gear yesterday and I''m sure there''s more in the tank from theses players.

Stick with a winning team and system for me.

Anyone else tempted to send out our "mid week 11"? Seemed to work well last week.

Seriously though, we need to think about the players who can struggle with a lot of games - Wes, Jerome.

Also we''ve discussed the benefits in this league of RM at CB - is this a game to change him?

Tricky.

This 100% won''t be the team, but I''d love to see something like this

--------------Ruddy---------------

-----Martin Klose Bassong----

Pinto----------------------Olsson

--------Howson Dorrans------

------------Hoolahan---------

---------Oliviera Jerome

I know some players who don''t deserve to be dropped are left out of that lineup but I feel that with how strong Newcastle are from set pieces we could really use the extra CB. We''ve got Hoolahan in his absolute best position, centrally with two strikers infront of him. A creative and industrious centre with width from the fullbacks.

Sensibly, and probably rightly I think AN will stick to the same lineup but with Pritchard in for Brady

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]How about a 4411 -               McGovern    Pinto Martin Klose OlssonHowson Tettey Thompson Dorrans                Ja Murphy                 Oliveira[/quote]How about WTF???That setup removes a huge amount of width, as neither Howson nor Dorrans really suit being out to the side instead of centrally, in no way has Thompson played his way into a start over other options, and why the hell would you pick Jacob to play the Wes role when we have Pritchard raring to go and even Naismith who have both played that position FAR more than Jacob? Also, if fit, Jerome has to start.Also, It''s time for Ruddy to return IMHO, I''d personally be looking at this:                    RuddyPinto,   Martin,   Klose,   Olsson             Tettey, DorransJa Murphy,  Wes/Pritchard,  Brady                   JeromeBench:McGovernBennettMulumbuHowsonJo MurphyNaismithOliveira[/quote]

I''d go with that Indy, Allthough would be just as happy to add another / to read Wes/Pritchard/Naismith

With the right attitude I feel Naismith could offer a solid attacking performance being fully capable of offering strong defensive duties when called on.

[quote user="Buh"]Just got a weird feeling Naismith will play

Dunno why[/quote]

I''ve got more chance of playing than Naismith

The issue with Naismith earlier in the season was being played alongside Wes he they seemed to nullify each other. Playing through the middle instead of Wes removes that issue & leaves us with 2 wide players

Also, I think as already mentioned he is more likely to put his foot in and be a first line of defence. I think he did enough against Everton to warrant being on the bench against Burton

At Everton, wasn''t he regarded as a big game player? I seem to remember him putting in good performances against the top teams - arguably this is our biggest, toughest game of the season on paper

lake district canary states:

"Naismith for his experience in big matches" & "This is Newcastle"

You want experience against big clubs - yet you suggest we leave Hoolahan out of the team. In the last eight seasons, Hoolahan has been a big player for us and continues to be so. He is one of a few current Norwich players that have the scalps of Manure, Man City, Arsenal hanging from his belt ! He''s beaten Manure at Old Trafford - I don''t think he''ll be faze at the prospect of meeting Newcastle.

Did you see a lot of Naismith''s experience against the big clubs last season ? Oh yeah he did for Everton - not anywhere near as impressive doing it for a small club against those powerhouses.

I agree that Tettey needs to come back in if fit or if not either Thompson or Mulumbu. Dorrans the one to make way. Our defence is wobbly so if another defensive midfielder to add steel then Howson to be moved out wide in place of Brady. Everybody else remains the same.

I''d only make one change as I think we need someone like Tettey to come in as we might struggle to give our defense enough protection without him. Not sure who I''d drop though as I''ve been impressed by Dorrans of late and I don''t like it when we try and shoehorn in Howson to a wide position. I could see an argument for dropping Brady for Tettey and playing something like this...

McGovern

Pinto - Klose - Martin - Olsson

Tettey- Dorrans

Murphy - Howson - Wes

Jerome

Can''t understand why anyone would want to put Naismith back in the team.

Oh and LDC that might be the worst possible lineup I''ve seen suggested all season. Dorrans on the left, Murphy in the hole and Thompson starting?

[quote user="king canary"]I''d only make one change as I think we need someone like Tettey to come in as we might struggle to give our defense enough protection without him. Not sure who I''d drop though as I''ve been impressed by Dorrans of late and I don''t like it when we try and shoehorn in Howson to a wide position. I could see an argument for dropping Brady for Tettey and playing something like this...

McGovern

Pinto - Klose - Martin - Olsson

Tettey- Dorrans

Murphy - Howson - Wes

Jerome

Can''t understand why anyone would want to put Naismith back in the team.

Oh and LDC that might be the worst possible lineup I''ve seen suggested all season. Dorrans on the left, Murphy in the hole and Thompson starting?[/quote]

Why the worst? You agree with my midfield suggestions as far as Tettey in and you''re impressed by Dorrans - and he is a capable left side player and has played there many times in his career. Why is Thompson not ok to start a match?  He has been put on more than once as a sub, so presumably is good enough to be considered for a start?  My reasoning for Murphy in the hole is clear. Pace. We will need that on Wednesday to counter on the break - and he can go left or right side too.  Strong in midfield and defence and pace up front. 

I can see AN dropping Hoolahan for this with tettey coming in with the only change, making our starting line up to look like this:

McGovern

Pinto, Martin, Klose, Olson

Tettey, Dorrans

Jacob, Howson, Brady

Jerome

Subs:

Ruddy, Bennett, Bassong, Thompson, Hoolahan, Josh, Oliviera

Morty - I like discussion - there''s nothing wrong with it. My suggested team is one I think makes ok sense.  We all have opinions.  I would love to see a strong defensive show on Wednesday and some quick breaks ourselves - hence my ideas for the game, for reaons I have clearly explained.  You want to keep the same team. Good for you. The rest of us will discuss the possibilities.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Morty - I like discussion - there''s nothing wrong with it. My suggested team is one I think makes ok sense.  We all have opinions.  I would love to see a strong defensive show on Wednesday and some quick breaks ourselves - hence my ideas for the game, for reaons I have clearly explained.  You want to keep the same team. Good for you. The rest of us will discuss the possibilities.

[/quote]It really doesn''t make sense at all.Each to their own.But you do do this on purpose, its very obvious.

@LDC

Why is it the worst? It involves a midfield five with three of them out of position (Dorrans and Howson aren''t wide players yet are out wide, Murphy who is a wide player is in the middle) and a first start for Thompson against one of the most potent attacking forces in the division. You''re also taking out Wes who has been in excellent form this season.

We''ve won 5 games on the trot and while I can see a case for a change or two to solidify the midfield, it would be mad to essentially make 5 changes to the midfield (you''ve got no players in the midfielder starting in the same position as v Burton).

[quote user="lake district canary"]Mental note to self. Don''t bother, it isn''t worth the effort.

[/quote]Honestly though, why do you do it?This isn''t bashing, I just can''t get my head round it.