Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

the Murphy twins contacts

I mean, excusing the fact it would actually be terrible for the club, it would be interesting to see the posts on here if we did let them both leave on practically a free at the end of the season...[:D]

[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks for the link Morty. Reassuring, but slightly cryptic! Wonder what he means?[/quote]I think deliberately cryptic implying its really none of anyone''s business.But his wry smile says to me "Calm down, its all in hand".For me, there is no panic, as there is a win whichever way you look at it, we either get two great players for our club, that we paid nothing for, or we get a lot of money.Because, in todays inflated market, someone could easily may 15 million for each of them. So the club really can''t lose. The outcome I''m hoping for is that they show a bit of loyalty and stay for a few years.

[quote user="morty"]Because, in todays inflated market, someone could easily pay 15 million for each of them. So the club really can''t lose. [/quote]Unless of course the money is either not reinvested in players or it is squandered away on dross.Ideally we need to get promotion this year & keep both of them as they could well be the players that keep us in the PL next season & for several years to come.Can''t see us doing anything stupid though and hopefully they won''t be tempted to become bench warmers for a "bigger" PL Club.

I hope the Club can sign them up on long contracts at decent money as I doubt they''re getting much of a wage at all at the moment.If they carry on at their present rate of development it''s a given they''ll be sold but I''d like to think they''ll stay with us for a while longer.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]Because, in todays inflated market, someone could easily pay 15 million for each of them. So the club really can''t lose. [/quote]Unless of course the money is either not reinvested in players or it is squandered away on dross.Ideally we need to get promotion this year & keep both of them as they could well be the players that keep us in the PL next season & for several years to come.Can''t see us doing anything stupid though and hopefully they won''t be tempted to become bench warmers for a "bigger" PL Club.[/quote]Thats the spirit[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]Because, in todays inflated market, someone could easily pay 15 million for each of them. So the club really can''t lose. [/quote]Unless of course the money is either not reinvested in players or it is squandered away on dross.Ideally we need to get promotion this year & keep both of them as they could well be the players that keep us in the PL next season & for several years to come.Can''t see us doing anything stupid though and hopefully they won''t be tempted to become bench warmers for a "bigger" PL Club.[/quote]Thats the spirit[Y][/quote]Absolutely. Just as well then that we''ve never been guilty of doing either of those two things. But then again, there is always a first time [;)]

Pretty emphatic response, when MB says ''I imagine not...'' and AN replies ''Don''t imagine it... it''s a fact''. Don''t think he would be that emphatic if things weren''t in hand. We have until the New Year to get it sorted, I would imagine new contract talks are at an advanced stage. Give them sizeable contracts that will tie them to the club for the next three or four years, and that more than compensates for the other striker we didn''t sign.

Am I being dumb, does the club not usually have another year option on pretty much every player contract?

It seems to have been the norm recently, would be bizarre if the Murphy twins weren''t the same. Although sounds like new contracts inbound hopefully.

Given their current rate of progress it is clear they will be big players in the PL in the future. They are also professional sportsmen so the money to be earned in a relatively short career also has to be a consideration for them.

In their position I''d wait until the end of the season to see which division City are going to be in. If it''s the PL then I''d re-sign on an improved contract as game time is very likely here. If it''s the Championship then I''d weigh up game time here on an improved contract against likely game time on probably a substantially better contract. If I was to sign again for Championship football I would want no more than a two year deal with no options unless linked to PL status.

It''s good to see academy lads making it and I really hope they will stay a while longer.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]They are also professional sportsmen so the money to be earned in a relatively short career also has to be a consideration for them.[/quote]I absolutely detest this argument, because it''s wrong on so many levels.Firstly, how many other jobs out there pay on average 325k per year (champs avg), or even 1.7 mil per year (prem avg)? This means that even with a ''mere'' 10 year career (so if they retired at 31), you''re talking about having earned around 3.25mil - 17 mil, a wage which would take the average UK worker 122 YEARS to earn (based on 3.25 mil) or the even more ludicrous 634+ YEARS (based on the 17mil figure)!Secondly, just like MILLIONS of other people have had to do in their lives when made redundant or placed out of work, you can re-train in a vast majority of roles, and certainly with the financial support ex-players should have in the bank (if they''ve not blown it all on sports cars, flash watches, mansions or private planes etc), it gives them a whole host of options that would be almost unthinkable to the average man on the street.The idea that just because someone is a pro-footballer, that their working lives suddenly end when they retire from the game is just laughable and frankly insulting to the rest of us, especially those that have previously sat in a dingy job centre being grilled about how many jobs you''ve applied for in the past fortnight, and interrogated about why you don''t want to work in a chicken factory on minimum wage despite previously being a business account manager with vast experience, and all just to get £65 a week which is apparently enough to live on (whilst these guys were banking nearly 7k a week)...The wages are what they are in football, we are unlikely to change it and I have to accept that, but I''m not going to accept ANY decent level footballer whining about needing to earn money so they can retire in their mid 30''s and go live on a private island somewhere, f**k that for a game of soldiers...

Figures were taken from:[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html]Daily Mail Article[/url] from Feb of this year.And even if we''re being THAT pedantic about it and they don''t cover tax and NI, the gulf is still so vast that''s it''s not even funny, but please, you carry on defending these poor footballers struggling to live after 30 despite having earned millions whilst the average uk worker takes about 10-12 years to earn what the average champs player does in a season...I don''t know how these ex-players manage to buy a crust a bread on that pittance...

I didn''t defend footballer wages Indy Bones. However, footballers, just like musicians and actors, makes millions across their careers in billion pound industries. They make their employers vast amounts of money and so deserve a hefty pay out as a consequence. So for every Rooney etc there''s a Tom Cruise or Taylor Swuft etc earning millions. You obviously have a beef or jealousy over footballer wages but they''re not the only ones.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]You obviously have a beef or jealousy over footballer wages but they''re not the only ones.[/quote]No, I may not agree with it, be it an actor, singer or footballer, buy what I DO have a beef with is this BS argument that footballers need to make vast millions because apparently they become completely unable to work once their playing career is over.For example, Holty was a tyre fitter beforehand and I''m sure he could go back to it if he wanted, much like how most players will have kept themselves in good shape and could probably manage a huge amount of active jobs that are out there if they want. It''s not that they are UNABLE to work once they''ve stopped playing, so I''m not going to sit back and listen to that $hit about footballers needing big wages because they want to retire at half the age of everyone else...

If football clubs are stupid enough to pay the wages they do then I''m sure the players are stupid enough to accept them. Footballers, like actors, musicians and other entertainers, work an industry that generates huge amounts for the clubs at the top level and naturally players want a reasonable share of it.

Many people take family issues into account when considering moving for a better paid salary and may decide the extra money isn''t enough to merit the upheaval. However if your career is both highly paid and short it is probably easier to move especially if your post career earnings are likely to be a fraction of what they were. Players'' families will have got used to a certain lifestyle and the money earned during the shorter career will help to maintain those standards long term.

If a player can be confident of regular game time and love playing football why wouldn''t they move for a huge hike in income? Fans are loyal to their clubs, players cannot be in pursuit of their careers. We may not like it but that''s the way it is.

Less than 10 miles away from the A1 so I can understand that bit, but I just can''t agree with the 2nd part.It really isn''t my fault if you''re that illiterate that you not only failed to read what I posted correctly, but also clearly lacked the intelligence to actually understand the perfectly simple premise that was described either.So, have you got any more flowery language you''d like to impress us all with, or are you going to try reading the post again more slowly so you get it this time, alternatively you could just ask one of your friends from kindergarten to translate it for you...

The whole wages thing is obscene as with bankers and other high flyers in certain businesses and proffessions but you cannot swim against the tide of market forces. Norwich can afford a budget much less than some much more than others. This is more than a business decision with the twins getting a balance as to their aspirations and the clubs and both sides wanting to maximise the financial return. For me we should keep the twins to try and get up this season. If we don''t go up then they will be sold. If we do go up they will still be sold if they progress but later in time and for more dosh

@Indy

I think the argument about players maximising their earnings in a short career is reasonable, mainly as a career in professional sport is not only short but also pretty precarious. Injuries, loss of form or even just a change of manager can scupper a players career pretty swiftly so I never begrudge someone maximising what they can from their career. Often players come from poorers backgrounds also (Holt being a case in point- I doubt tyre fitting pays that well) so wanting to make the most of the wages on offer from a career in football is totally understandable.

Also there is obscene amounts of money floating around in football and I''d much rather it went to the players than being used to fill the pockets of owners and directors like it does at some clubs (not ours before anyone says....).

[quote user="king canary"]@Indy

I think the argument about players maximising their earnings in a short career is reasonable, mainly as a career in professional sport is not only short but also pretty precarious. Injuries, loss of form or even just a change of manager can scupper a players career pretty swiftly so I never begrudge someone maximising what they can from their career.[/quote]That''s still not the point I''m making KC.It doesn''t matter if a player''s playing career ends at 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 or 37 (or anything in between), because there''s nothing stopping them from taking on a ''normal'' job at the end of that playing career, just like all the rest of us take on ''normal'' jobs regardless of football.It''s the suggestion that players HAVE to make a crazy amount of money in a relatively short space of time otherwise they''ll be desititute or whatever that I take objection to. These players are NOT on the scrap heap job wise in their early to mid thirties, they''re simply in the same position as everyone else who is out of work at that point, however, everyone else hasn''t earned 3-10 mil in the previous 10 years so that they have the LUXURY of retiring and never working again...I''m not saying they shouldn''t maximise earnings (they''d be foolish not to), I''m not saying that they don''t deserve a fair share of the obscene amount of money generated by football because they help create it, what I am saying is that I will not accept this myth that players HAVE to make crazy money during their career as apparently they can''t work after they leave the game. The whole argument of a short playing career as being a justification for the massive wages is complete ballcocks, justify the wages against the relevant factors not this nonsense argument that infers a complete inability to work or live after football hence the need to earn obscene amounts during the career.

Seriously though, who even cares what players earn. I watch football to be entertained and really couldn''t give a monkeys what the players are picking up. The simple truth is that, like 99% of other jobs in the world, if another employer offers you more money then in most cases people are going to seriously consider it. Funnily enough, footballers aren''t robots, they''re like actually real people too.

Sure, they aren''t incapable of work, however most players will have dedicated themselves to football from a very young age and generally don''t have much in the way of qualifications/knowledge outside of that. I went to High School with our former keeper Joe Lewis- he was a smart lad but was done with school from about 15 onwards and focusing solely on getting better at football. For him, prospects are probably limited outside of football so the sensible and reasonable thing to do would be to maximise their earnings to give them the best chance outside of football. Sure they don''t have to but if I was in their position I certainly would.

[quote user="king canary"]Sure, they aren''t incapable of work, however most players will have dedicated themselves to football from a very young age and generally don''t have much in the way of qualifications/knowledge outside of that. I went to High School with our former keeper Joe Lewis- he was a smart lad but was done with school from about 15 onwards and focusing solely on getting better at football. For him, prospects are probably limited outside of football so the sensible and reasonable thing to do would be to maximise their earnings to give them the best chance outside of football. Sure they don''t have to but if I was in their position I certainly would.[/quote]
You and Indy are both right.
Players should do everything they can to maximise their earnings. It''s like getting a higher paid job on a temp basis - take it and hopefully it lasts longer, but if not you fall back on what you had originally.
They may not be able to get a well paid job after football but Indy is correct in that they always can work after football. Whether thats in sport, coaching or stacking shelves in Tesco. The reality is in the top 2 leagues particularly they have more than enough money to start a business, buy a pub or something.

It''s a while since I''ve known anyone who was a player and then retired but the players can also get help from the PFA when they retire, some get subsidised training to help them find a new career and they are also able to get their PFA pension from age 35.