Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

Ross Mccormack

[quote user="kirku"]By all accounts, the scouts wanted him. Villa just gazumped us.[/quote]I heard we pulled out at about 9m.Looks like it was the right thing to do.

Let''s face it, at his age he was never going to be keeping his decent goalscoring record up and much sooner rather than later he will drop off in that respect - it was too much money in my eyes for us to be paying and whereas I''d have welcomed him like any other player to Carrow Rd, I was firmly in the camp ''no thanks!'' Nelson Oliveira any day of the week for me 👍

you would have to be pretty fast to dodge a bullet - assume you knew it was coming

we will never know......difficult to say we dodged a bullet when looking at him playing for an inferior side in Villa....we can only surmise how he would have fared in a better side such as ours.

I''d still maintain that he would have scored a fair few goals in our side ,with the players around him and the chances created for him....

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]we will never know......difficult to say we dodged a bullet when looking at him playing for an inferior side in Villa....we can only surmise how he would have fared in a better side such as ours.

I''d still maintain that he would have scored a fair few goals in our side ,with the players around him and the chances created for him....[/quote]First rational post I''ve read of yours [Y]

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]we will never know......difficult to say we dodged a bullet when looking at him playing for an inferior side in Villa....we can only surmise how he would have fared in a better side such as ours.

I''d still maintain that he would have scored a fair few goals in our side ,with the players around him and the chances created for him....[/quote]First rational post I''ve read of yours [Y][/quote]

dare i ask what formation you would have played behind/around him had we had signed him ?!

If only Jerome had a little more composure when he has time to think on the ball. He''s so close to a quality striker, I was hoping AN and the team could polish the rough edges of his game, like Lambert did with Holt but despite all this, I think Jerome is the better of the two all round.

With so many PL clubs having been desperate for a striker at some point in the last two years you''d have thought one of them would have taken a gamble on him by now, no one has and there must be a reason. Even our 5m signing Oliveira has played a bit of PL football and Jerome has played for 4 different clubs at that level, scored a respectable amount of goals, gone for some decent fees at the time and has always been in demand.

I wanted McCormack at the time, but the fee was just ridiculous for a player that''s not coming in as a player vastly better than others in his position. I think the club has lucked out here

[quote user="The young canary"]It could have been you

It could have been you

Oh Ross McCormack it could have been you

I can''t wait till vile come to the Carra[/quote]

👍👍👍

I think all the talk of systems does actually ring true- Jerome''s got the physical attributes of a top striker, which is where most of his goals come from. It''s the technical side of things that holds him back, but ultimately even if he doesn''t touch the ball he can contribute effectively.

McCormack on the other hand, whilst very good in possession, if he doesn''t touch the ball he''s pretty much dead weight.

Not that he isn''t a decent player, but he isn''t £12mil good.

Let''s not forget the wages too. Reputedly on £40,000 to £50,000 a week - we''d have been bunging out millions a year when he was about 34!So pleased that this didn''t happen.

I looked at the Villa team sheet from last night- they had 7 players starting who they signed this summer, with McCormack on the bench and De Laet not even in the 18. The whole spine has never really played together and they have a new manager trying to put it all together.

That sort of turnover makes it difficult for a team to gel and it shouldn''t be a great surprise that things haven''t exactly gone to plan. I''d expect them to pull it together as the season goes on but I''m not sure they''ll do it soon enough to be anything other than midtable this season.