Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Klose, Bennett, Martin, Bassong & Turner

If & when injuries/suspensions/tiredness kick in for the long haul: which two would be your nightmare coupling for the central defensive roles?Bring on the injection of youth in said position with the signing of Jérôme Onguéné come January I say [Y]

It''s a muchness at the moment. Klose isn''t defending any better than Bassong did 2 seasons ago and he''s held up by many of us as the best cb in the league.

Any of these five would walk into most champ sides. prem experienced players and well seasoned pro''s. Let''s get behind them instead...

Personally I think the return of Tetty is more important in improving us defensively. We can outgun Burton at home without him but the game was wide open through the centre of the pitch and put the defence under pressure.

Against Newcastle and Wolves away the central defence will need more help from in front of them. I hope he''s recovered in time.

I know he''s not universally appreciated but for me he''s a big player.

wow ,lets conjure up the most negative scenarios possible?!?......I dont think we''re doing that badly in that department if Michael Turner is our 5th choice defender?

had you even had heard of that French lad before he was spotted at Carrow Road??

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]As long as the double pivot operates properly we can put our faith in the fluidity of the four defenders.

[/quote]
[:D]
Defenders are irrelevant without the DOUBLE PIVOT!!!!!!

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Top of the league and then this post?[/quote]Slightly miffed as to why you find said post as anything other than constructive [*-)] I''m ecstatic with our League position and I agree with some that the likes of Bassong & Turner are capable cover in this Division, but it is the one area of the field we''re lightest on and they''re hardly spring chickens, which is why I think any January signings should be a couple of younger centre-backs -- imperative in fact if we''re to build on a side that looks to be heading back to the Premier [Y]

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]As long as the double pivot operates properly we can put our faith in the fluidity of the four defenders.

[/quote]These guys seem to understand the game better than you and most on here:

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/16177y/can_someone_please_explain_to_me_what_a_double/[/url]

Cocksmith [:|]

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]As long as the double pivot operates properly we can put our faith in the fluidity of the four defenders.

[/quote]These guys seem to understand the game better than you and most on here:

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/16177y/can_someone_please_explain_to_me_what_a_double/[/url]

Cocksmith [:|][/quote]

Is that the best you can manage, a 3 year old post on Reddit?I don''t recall you extolling it''s virtues until a month ago, has it taken you that long to catch up with the ''experts''?

I agree with Hairy Canary, we need Tetty back in our side asap as he gives our defence cover.

As for Martin, i really dont understand how people think his distribution is better than Bennett''s.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Jools"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]As long as the double pivot operates properly we can put our faith in the fluidity of the four defenders.

Cocksmith [:|][/quote]

Is that the best you can manage, a 3 year old post on Reddit?I don''t recall you extolling it''s virtues until a month ago, has it taken you that long to catch up with the ''experts''?

[/quote]I''ve been giving expert advice on and detailing the merits and pitfalls of the double pivot within the 4-2-3-1 since the beginning of the season [:|] It would appear that my explanations have been a tad complex for you and others to comprehend, which is why I supplied the ''layman''s'' link if you will.You won''t learn anything by taking the p*ss out of something you don''t understand [:|]

what on earth is the matter with you??

why are you trying to make this into something more complex than it is??....in a midfield 3 , you either play 2 sitting midfielders with 1 infront, or 1 sitting midfielder with 2 infront....that really is all there is to it?, why are you trying make out somebody has re-invented the wheel here?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]what on earth is the matter with you??

why are you trying to make this into something more complex than it is??....in a midfield 3 , you either play 2 sitting midfielders with 1 infront, or 1 sitting midfielder with 2 infront....that really is all there is to it?, why are you trying make out somebody has re-invented the wheel here?[/quote]Oh dear Christ I give up! [:O]

...I think you''re on a wind up, just to see how often you can get this stock phrase " double pivot" into conversation as a kind of "in joke"

There''s another poster on this forum called "Paul" I think, who does much the same thing with minute silences....

Klose>>>Bassong>>>>>>>>>>>>Martin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Turner and Bennett who are indistinguishable from each other and among the worst CBs in this league.

[quote user="Jools"]If & when injuries/suspensions/tiredness kick in for the long haul: which two would be your nightmare coupling for the central defensive roles? [Y][/quote]I think we''ve just seen it

6 goals conceded in 9 games with Klose in the side, 4 goals in 1 game conceded without him. Any combinations of Bennett, Martin, Bassong and Turner does not fill me with confidence. As long as Timm plays the majority of games this season, I think we should have enough to finish in the top two, without him I''m of the opinion the playoffs will be the best we can hope for. If/when we get promoted we must keep hold of Klose and look at signing two, may be even three, new center backs. If we don''t, come May 2018 we will find ourselves in the same position we did at the end of last season.

IBT,

I think it''s 10 conceded with him in the side, I could be wrong of course.

You are indeed right it is 10 in 9. I just counted how many the away team conceded in the nine games, forgetting that we were the away team in four of those games. That makes an average of 1.1 goals per (league) game with him in the side, compared to 4 goals a game when he''s not, so the point remains valid. [;)]

IBT,

Indeed it does, although it is 1.5 per away game or if you accept TK is 0 conceded in 0 games against the Toon, then it could be argued his goals conceded in away fixtures against Newcastle is infinity or undeterminable - just saying!

[quote user="jaemae2"]that isn''t how averages work, though, pal.[/quote]Thanks Carol.However, averages are pretty simple to figure out. Here you try.What is the mean average of these numbers 1,0,0,1,3,2,1,1,1? Let me walk you through it.Add the numbers 1+1+0+0+3+2+1+1+1 = 10Divide by how many numbers there are: 10/9 = 1.111The mean is 1.111So

with Timm Klose in the side City average 1.111 goals conceded per league 

game. Without Timm Klose last night we conceded 4 goals in 1 game.Hope that helps to clear things up for you champ.