Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Adams/Waller comments During Millwall Match

Although I don''t normally make notes of the commentary ( I did not get them verbatim ) but did during the first half of the Millwall match, which were as follows:

Prior to the game starting - Neil welcomes Roy back, who is obviously chuffed. Neil then says that, looking at the team selection, it appears we are going with the diamond formation. Neil says he hopes we do not as he does not like this at all and does not think it''s the best approach for us, much better to go with 4-4-2.

During the first 10 minutes - Neil says this is a scruffy start to the game by both teams, balls being kicked up in the air, lots of fouls.

Between 12 to 14 minutes - Roy says this is not pretty to watch and twice Neil says Huckerby is being lazy.

Next 3 or 4 minutes - two good chances for Millwall. Neil says a better team would have taken advantage of those opportunities.

23 minutes - Millwall scores. Roy says Davenport just let the ball sail straight over his head to Williams. However, Roy says ( with poor timing ) for the second time that Davenport is a class act and we look pretty solid at the back. I have to keep reminding myself that Roy''s memory is of a backfield containing Fleming.

After 30 minutes - Neil is now almost protesting for a 4-4-2 to be put in place. Roy is still complaining it''s not pretty. They both discuss the problems we have in trying to put someone wide right. Roy says this is not very good at all, particularly at home, Marshall has not had to make one save.

35 minutes - Roy, sounding exasperated, asks why can''t we change this formation as it''s obviously not working. Neil replies that it''s clearly not working, everyone can see that ( not Nigel apparently...my words not Neil''s&nbsp. Roy then says you can hear the buzz going around the ground wondering "What''s happening?" Roy then says McVeigh looks wasted in the role he''s being asked to play.

40 minutes - Roy says Ashton misses a sitter with his head

43 minutes - I hear Jarret''s name mentioned for the first time. Ah! I make a mental note...he is "playing" after all.

Neil and Roy can''t wait for half-time. Neil says let''s get in and get a cup of tea and start again. I sense he really wants to say"what a lot of rubbish". Almost as if he''s reading my mind at that moment Neil says it was absolutely a wasted half.

Although, like Worthy, I''m a slow learner, even I was smart enough to stop making notes at the end of the first half. One additional input was the call-in show with Neil and Chris Goreham. A caller makes the point that it would have been smart for Ashton to take the penalty and have the opportunity to restore his confidence in that area. Neil says it''s easy to second guess these things when something has gone wrong, but points out these are decisions that are made in the dressing room. Chris points out to Neil that, on the contrary, in his previous interview with the manager, Nigel says this is not the way we do things at Norwich City. It''s whoever fancies it on the pitch. Neil says he does not agree with that. He says that particular responsibility should be clearly assigned before the team leaves the dressing room. One might suppose Neil knows of what he speaks.

[quote]You forgot to mention YC that Waller (for a reason which I''m sure only he knows) decided to call Jurgen Colin "John" throughout the entire game! Bring back Chris Goreham I say[/quote]

Would you be so ''clever'' DD after recovering from bowl cancer like Roy Waller is, I think not!

Shameful comments!.

[quote]Although I don''t normally make notes of the commentary ( I did not get them verbatim ) but did during the first half of the Millwall match, which were as follows: Prior to the game starting - Neil we...[/quote]

That''s absoloute clap trap Yankee Canary. We all know that Neil Adams is simply an agent on Nigel Worthington''s behalf, who constantly defends him, and has no free will or footballing knowledge of his own.

Anyone would think you think he''s an experienced professional footballer who has his own opinions!

[quote]Although I don''t normally make notes of the commentary ( I did not get them verbatim ) but did during the first half of the Millwall match, which were as follows: Prior to the game starting - Neil we...[/quote]

Looks as though you better cross the Atlantic quick as possible YC, just heard Davenport and Charlton are added to the injured list, this means we are so hard up for players that Mr.Adams has been drafted into the team, (in case a penalty is awarded), and you could be needed to assist Mr. Waller. 

Regardless of his health, and I hope that he is in radiant good health as I bear him no grudge, Roy is a poor commentator and as he has got older he regularly gets confused and offers little in terms of insight during the game. In adition he does give Nigel a very easy ride at all times.

Goreham is better during the commentary, gives a better overall view on the game and sticks it into Worthy.

Neil Adams continuously treads a fine line between appearing neutral and not wishing to lose his other job, knowing Worthy''s view on dissent probably and therefore offers little for fans turning every complaint around to stop Nigel getting slated. He''s hardly Alan Green is he?  

I''m sick of hearing posters who think its "fashionable" to slag off Roy Waller. It''s fair comment that Chris Goreham is a good up-and-coming presenter, but imo its Roy''s inaccuracies and unique banter with Neil Adams that makes him such a special character. He''s our equivalent of F1''s Murray Walker and can turn a boring game into entertainment. He''s just had to bravely deal with serious illness in the public eye. Give the guy a break...

I actually think Neil Adams reads the game very well and I do think he is critical when he feels things are not right. Maybe some of you want him to go further, but he is intelligent and eloquent which is often lacking in football analysis. I have never felt him to be a Worthy apologist.

And as for lack of football knowledge, whoever said that ought to research Adams career a bit and work out why he was one of the best crossers we have ever had and never missed a penalty until his last one at Norwich.

In the name of sanity.

Is it really only me? Does nobody else notice?

Surely the FIRST & MOST IMPORTANT task of a radio commentary is to TELL THE LISTENERS WHAT THE INTERCOURSING HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!

Every time I try listening to one of these witless, wittering duologues I end up chewing the carpet in frustration.

While the pair of them drone on I know, somewhere out there, there''s a football match going on. I know this, because I can hear a large crowd of people singing, chanting, reacting ; I just know that one day soon there will be a " I don''t know why we''re not quite passing it around like we should, Roy, I think it stems from ... (HUGE CHEER) ... well, there''s a turn-up for the books, Roy, we seem to have scored ...

[quote]I''m sick of hearing posters who think its "fashionable" to slag off Roy Waller. It''s fair comment that Chris Goreham is a good up-and-coming presenter, but imo its Roy''s inaccuracies and unique banter...[/quote]

This is a great example of why so many posts on here turn into slagging matches.

Two totally inoffensive comments about Roy and someone rides in on their high horse giving it the "i''m sick of this, i''m sick of that" nonsense!

From these two posts, i read that, illness aside, King Juan doesn''t think he''s neccessarily a great commentator and DD just mentioned how Roy called Jurgen Colin, John Colin.

Where''s the fire? Lets not jump down each other''s throat at the drop of a hat. Must be the team''s position/performances that''s making people irritable!

why on earth then, did you make "notes" on the commentary YC?

Seems a strange thing to do unless you are

a) going to be soccer am''s next "fans commentator"
b) practicing shorthand
c) a little bit anal

Seems about par for the course....A1canary seems to be pleading with everyone to not jump down each others throats. His ink is hardly dry when, a couple of posts later, he himself suggests that my reason for the thread in the first instance appears a little anal. Just because you''re choosing a different orifice A1 does not separate you from the pack.

[quote]Would you be so ''clever'' DD after recovering from bowl cancer like Roy Waller is, I think not! Shameful comments!.[/quote]

Come on Wiz be fair.  I know the poor guy has just come back from having cancer.  I don''t dismiss that.  However, the guy just cannot commentate properly on a game of football.  He couldn''t last year either.  His health has got nothing to do with his inability to pick up a microphone and tell people what the hell is going on at a football match. Last year at Arsenal for example, he decided to call Helveg "Ward" for the majority of the game.  I was sat at home thinking we had our reserve goalkeeper at right back!

I''m truly sorry the Roy was ill.  Of course I am.  But that shouldn''t disguise the fact that Chris Goreham is a much much more effective commentator 

Poor old roy, yes, he has recovered from a serious illness, but that is not what we are discssing is it?  As a commentator he leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, he never keeps up with the game and personal insights into why something is happening are not what we need - just simple stuff like who has the ball and who has scored would be good.

I just cannot listen to him now and if not attending a game end up keeping up with events via SkySports or texts from people actually there.

Chris Goreham is far better and I guess will eventually take over the mantle. 

[quote]Come on Wiz be fair. I know the poor guy has just come back from having cancer. I don''t dismiss that. However, the guy just cannot commentate properly on a game of football. He couldn''t last year ...[/quote]

Fair point DD, upon reflection, I was very unfair on you, and will of course apologise.

However, Roy brings passion to the commentary IMO, whereas Gorham is soulless and confusing.

I wouldn''t trade uncle Roy for anyone, I love the bloke, and will always prefer him to these new upstarts anyday.

I once heard Gorham describe a Saturday game as a night match, and included players in his commentary who had left the bloody club!.

No, Roy will do for me!.

At least Roy doesn''t punctuate all his sentences with "err" like Goreham does. Err, err, err, err, it''s a err goal !!! It beggars belief how a dj/radio presenter gets work with the amount of err-ing he does.  It''s so irr-err-ating. I''m glad Roy is back; so he''s a bit of bumbling but that''s part of his charm.

Living where I do, I haven''t actually heard Roy Waller, but it seems to be a bit like Stuart Hall on Radio 5.  I personally think his ramblings after a game are great, whereas some people can''t stand him.  I didn''t care for the late Brian Moore either on ITV, he would just forget players'' names mid-sentence, and say things that would leave his co-commentators bewildered.

If you''re a collector of "Walkerballs", or "Wallerballs" in this case, you enjoy Roy''s 2-hour spots, together with all the witty banter about blankets and sandwiches, and the mispronounced names (I remember Neil saying, before a game against Crewe, that he bet Roy was pleased that Kenny Lunt was injured). It''s a real taste of home. But if, like me, you want to build a picture in your head of a game that you wish desperately you were watching live, it''s horribly frustrating. Goreham''s commentaries are almost up to Radio 5 standard, which is a compliment: Roy just leaves me swearing at the radio, I''m afraid.

Even so, I''ll be listening tonight!