Sign in to follow this  
ncfc fan

NEIL OUT

He must go. He was an embarrassment tonight.

As I''ve said before he may have done wonders in Scotland but done nothing for us.

Clear off back to Scotland where you came from!!

Careful what you wish for look at Pearson at derby. Neil is a 6/10 manager. He has got a strong championship squad to second but we continue to show the same frailties of last season with poor game management late goals conceded and negative substitutions. If he keeps us top 2 or 3 he will stay if we fall down the table he will go. If we get promoted I have no confidence in him whatsoever of keeping us up and the cycle will continue

Couldn''t disagree more with the OP, Alex Neil is a good manager and the right man for us. Admittedly am not sure I understand the ''invite pressure on'' substitutions but it''s no way near enough to change my overall thoughts on Alex, 2nd in the league, end of 👍

There is very little evidence that he is a good manager.

He may be good enough to get us up because he has an excellent squad at his disposal who can beat the lesser teams whilst not playing well. Games like tonight though are where the manager earns his corn and once again he was found badly lacking.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]There is very little evidence that he is a good manager.

He may be good enough to get us up because he has an excellent squad at his disposal who can beat the lesser teams whilst not playing well. Games like tonight though are where the manager earns his corn and once again he was found badly lacking.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Good managers make decisions that turn the game in their teams favour. I don think we could claim AN managed that tonight![/quote]Did Rafa make similar decisions when Newcastle have lost this season?

Can''t in all honesty say I know enough about Newcastle to answer that Morty.

It was a general point that the best managers earn their reputations on decisions that change things in their teams favour and that, thinking back, I can''t come up with many examples of AN doing that.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]There is very little evidence that he is a good manager.

He may be good enough to get us up because he has an excellent squad at his disposal who can beat the lesser teams whilst not playing well. Games like tonight though are where the manager earns his corn and once again he was found badly lacking.[/quote]

This is what I don''t get. He has put the squad together but he doesn''t get any credit for that even though everyone seems to think it''s the best in the division.

Apparently he only gets the criticism because he makes errors in substitutions by trying to defend leads - his teams and tactics get the leads in the first place but of course that''s not down to him, that''s just luck.

Players don''t perform and that''s the managers fault. Players do perform but that isn''t down to the manager. Is that really the way it is?

10 games, 20 points, second in the table. And you seriously want to sack the manager? You call this support?

Of course its gutting to lose 4-3 after being 3-1 up and with two goals in injury time, but I just don''t get that that is the managers fault.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Can''t in all honesty say I know enough about Newcastle to answer that Morty.

It was a general point that the best managers earn their reputations on decisions that change things in their teams favour and that, thinking back, I can''t come up with many examples of AN doing that.[/quote]Rafa has lost more games that Neil this season, does that make him a worse manager?

For me the squad is carrying him not the other way round, anybody who can defend such substitutions at a critical moment is as bad in their judgement as AN. As everybody said you are basically telling the opposition we have given up attacking go for it!

If AN must take the blame for this loss , I really struggle to see how AN will get us promoted like Houghton before him the Premier League has ruined his confidence which I doubt he will ever gain again here!

I can''t in all honesty say I know enough about Newcastle to answer that Morty.

It was a general point that good managers make decisions that change things in their teams favour and that I can''t remember many occasions when AN has managed that.

I have to admit his comment about putting his 3 largest players on to hold the lead was worrying. Despite being a good club manager and a likeable guy he consistently shows himself to be tactically limited at the level we''re trying to reach.

I don''t think it helps that he has a flaky, inconsistent and mentally fragile group of players. But at times it does come across like he''s sees the game in a very 2D way.

I don''t think he can really win here to be honest. If he keeps us down here I think the fans will turn by next October unless we''re absolutely flying and I think he''ll also be dismissed within 10 games if we go up because he just doesn''t seem to be learning much.

By the end of last season he looked exasperated and out of ideas, if he had anything else up his sleeve at that level we''d have surely seen evidence of it before we were relegated and at pivotal moments so far this year, I''ve not seen anything to suggest he''s improved his understanding of the game

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]I can''t in all honesty say I know enough about Newcastle to answer that Morty.

It was a general point that good managers make decisions that change things in their teams favour and that I can''t remember many occasions when AN has managed that.[/quote]Its a valid comparison to make though, isn''t it?I mean, Newcastle have lost more games than us.

I can''t say I blame AN, we must coach these scenarios, a goal up with ten to play, you would shore things up, I think his only error was not to have a counter set up, meaning teams coming at us have to leave defenders back.

Our defenders are not good enough, but it has to be remembered Newcastle have one of the best 11 in this league.

Neil in, onwards to Wolves.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="Jim Smith"]There is very little evidence that he is a good manager.

He may be good enough to get us up because he has an excellent squad at his disposal who can beat the lesser teams whilst not playing well. Games like tonight though are where the manager earns his corn and once again he was found badly lacking.[/quote]

This is what I don''t get. He has put the squad together but he doesn''t get any credit for that even though everyone seems to think it''s the best in the division.

Apparently he only gets the criticism because he makes errors in substitutions by trying to defend leads - his teams and tactics get the leads in the first place but of course that''s not down to him, that''s just luck.

Players don''t perform and that''s the managers fault. Players do perform but that isn''t down to the manager. Is that really the way it is?

10 games, 20 points, second in the table. And you seriously want to sack the manager? You call this support?

Of course its gutting to lose 4-3 after being 3-1 up and with two goals in injury time, but I just don''t get that that is the managers fault.[/quote]No one in their right mind wants to sack the manager.However, I don''t think you can totally exonerate Neil for what happened tonight. We conceded seconds after the break against Burton on Saturday, then seconds after we went 3-1 up, then seconds after they equalised at 3-3. Not saying Neil is totally to blame for this, but a pattern is emerging and he needs to put it right.What I do blame Neil for - and yes, I know it''s easy with hindsight - is taking off our most pacy attacking player when we are well in the ascendancy, and replacing him with a centre back who hasn''t featured for a few weeks, moving to an unfamiliar formation in the process. I was baffled at the time - as were many other people on the thread - and unfortunately it''s cost us big time. I''m mindful of the fact that it was Neil''s tactics that got us 3-1 up in the first place, but to suggest he is completely blameless is equally as farcical as blaming him entirely.

Oh by the way I love the AN said last year did not in anyway scar him for this years encounter.

It also shows he has learnt nothing either , last year getting back into game looking better change. This year solid holding out lets panic and change things again!

This squad deserve a better manager , to go to Newcastle and score three and lose to two injury time goals is beyond pathetic, oh remind me how many new backs did we buy over the summer!

Midfielders midfielders midfielders.....

Well yes that is true of course Morty and maybe Rafa has made some poor decisions that have cost them points. I genuinely don''t know much about his team selections, tactics and substitutions.

All I care about is NCFC and if AN is getting the best he can from our squad and circumstances. If a manager gets a team to over perform then he is doing a good job and to be fair AN has got us to second place which I think is around where we would be on paper.

Unfortunately with the resources at our disposal we need to over achieve if we are to establish ourselves at the top level and that means the manager being able to make decisions that can swing things our way, sometimes against the odds.

I don''t see AN doing that very often.