Sign in to follow this  
Fraz

That sort of defeat has been coming

The manner of the defeat at Newcastle has been coming, many of the games we have won have resulted in us really hanging on at the end, and we''ve managed to do that because of the lack of quality upfront of the opposition.

Don''t quite get Alex Neil''s tactics of going all out defence, we''re awful at it, we just don''t know how to defend properly, the situation hasn''t been addressed since last season, we''ve had 2 clean sheets in the league this season, conceded 12 goals in the last 6 league games.

positive is that going forward we looked good, and most teams don''t have the quality of player that Newcastle have, so we''ll probably get away with it most of the time.

Fraz - fair comment. We have been getting results partly by getting away with it by hanging on and going defensive for the final 15 mins or so. But it was inviting problems in this game when we were faced with a vociferous 50k crowd and against an attack which by all accounts should have put three goals past us in the opening minutes. Players such as Gayle will punish you eventually, particularly when a constant stream of balls come in to our box. So to get the emotions out of the way, the home team probably deserved to win over the 96 mins.

Don''t quite get the management decisions. AN said our defenders missed out on several headers - SO why leave Ryan Bennett our strongest defender in the air on the bench.

To also prefer Bassong, who has had little match play this season, was a very bad call. He is also very vulnerable to the ball played over the top. Listening to the commentary, it seemed as if Shelvey had the freedom of the pitch. WHY.

Overall our strong squad should still see us through.

Just watched the highlights and sometimes you just have to be magnanimous in defeat . Always stings to concede so late (twice) but Newcastle have to be congratulated for not being content with a point.

completely correct. I mean I''m happy with the run of wins but we don''t seem to have really comfortably seen any of them out and have counted our blessings in most. I thought we had turned a corner vs forest and I''d have been a lot more comfortable I''d we had lost in a regulation 2-0 game last night but like you say, we seem to cower away at the end as if we feel we are lucky to be in front and that shows a real lack of belief.

as the old cliché goes, attack is sometimes the best firm of defence. if we have the ball in their half they can''t score. we have proven how shaky our defence can be vs particular line ups so we should be doing everything to keep the ball away from there!

As for the keeper, there''s a conundrum there. he made some terrific stops last night but I can''t help notice how vulnerable and unimposing he looks when the ball is launched into the area. Ruddy may have had a mistake or 2 in him but he is a far more proactive keeper and goals 2 and 4 last night would have probably been avoided with him in net. I know he has been a tad dodgy recently but I think it''s time to give him a go in the league. he looked excellent vs everton and maybe he can get back to his old ways again.

Having just seen the highlights it could easily have been 6-2 after 90 mins. Martin and Bassong were all over the place and seemed to lack any idea as to how to deal with the continued high balls. Have to confess - a fair result.

Agree with the comments are large and for me just reiterates we''re not quite there yet. When we can perform for 90 mins we will be a force to reckon with. At the moment we''re predominantly a good side getting away with some half hearted performances. The good bit is I suppose that we know and expect there''s more to come from our side.

I simply cannot get my head around deciding to go into our most important and difficult game of the season so far with Martin and Bassong at centre back. Indeed I cannot get me head around any competent manager selecting those two as a centre back pairing full stop.

Whilst we may have had a run of wins our defending since Martin came back into the side has reverted to keystone cops type stuff. That, added to yet another completely and utterly incompetent substitution meant that indeed that type of collapse has been coming.

We have been winning games against poor teams because our players are better than theirs and nothing more. Our position in the league is despite the management and coaching and not because of it.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I simply cannot get my head around deciding to go into our most important and difficult game of the season so far with Martin and Bassong at centre back. Indeed I cannot get me head around any competent manager selecting those two as a centre back pairing full stop.

Whilst we may have had a run of wins our defending since Martin came back into the side has reverted to keystone cops type stuff. That, added to yet another completely and utterly incompetent substitution meant that indeed that type of collapse has been coming.

We have been winning games against poor teams because our players are better than theirs and nothing more. Our position in the league is despite the management and coaching and not because of it.[/quote]Let me help you out here Jim.Klose was injured.Most managers prefer to play one right footed, and one left footed CB.Who would have been your preferred pairing last night?

I would have played Bennett. Admittedly who you then play alongside him is a bit of a poisoned chalice but at least Bennett is good in the air and would have dealt with some of the balls that were getting Gayle clean through on goal.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I would have played Bennett. Admittedly who you then play alongside him is a bit of a poisoned chalice but at least Bennett is good in the air and would have dealt with some of the balls that were getting Gayle clean through on goal.[/quote]So, Bennett and Martin?Isn''t Bennett right footed though?

Klose; Bennett; Martin; Bassong; Turner.

statistics and performances have shown at least 3 out of this 5 arent good enough, either collectively or individually. Yet, we persist each and every season. This blinkered ongoing failure to upgrade has cost us two relegations from the Premier League. Its not getting better. We need to improve, and learn quickly to win in an ugly and ruthless manner by closing out games.

Turner & Bennett would have been a good pairing to clear vital headers in those last 6 minutes. Why was Shelvey not shackled? He seemed to be acting like a pretty effective quarter-back & we didn''t stop the supply line...