Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The defence

Bassong, Martin, Bennet: three player who can be fine for long periods and in comfortable games but they crumble under pressure. Consider last night and the Liverpool self destruct etc etc etc etc

Tim Klose needs to be playing but he needs a new CB partner in January (or two) because those three have just been part of a potentially calamitous back line for too long now.

They dont have it mentally.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Bassong, Martin, Bennet: three player who can be fine for long periods and in comfortable games but they crumble under pressure. Consider last night and the Liverpool self destruct etc etc etc etc

Tim Klose needs to be playing but he needs a new CB partner in January (or two) because those three have just been part of a potentially calamitous back line for too long now.

They dont have it mentally.[/quote]

You''ll get lambasted for saying it by the usuals, but last night it looked bad for the defence from 3-1 up. Got the third goal and switched off for their number two. That was the worst one for me, having just scored themselves.  Once that goes in, the tension does the rest.

What''s more troubling is that we are leaking goals galore in this league, and we aren''t building a new defense in the event that we do get promoted. We know this defense isn''t good enough and also isn''t improving, so surely we should be using this season to build and replace the tried, tested and failed current line up.

Where has the OP been when we''ve been winning

Classic doom monger, change your pants and man up.

I posted my congratulations after two of them. Have commented k. many others- but don''t let facts spoil your predictable closing down of debate tactic. Just carry on labelling as pathetic any who don''t share your views without actually dealing with points raised. Really helpful on a message board!!

We lack leaders in the back line (which worries me as Martin has been captain for a while now) when Klose isn''t involved. It sounded like we were defensively pretty poor most of the night and could have been 3-0 down after 30 minutes, before our implosion at the end. I just have zero faith in those two keeping a team out for 90 minutes.

To be fair, we''ve got a McGovern, Klose and Pinto who are all ''new'' signings. I really don''t think it''s the individuals, they just can''t defend as a cohesive unit, all appear to switch off easily and have a very fragile state of mind. Whoever has played this season (inc Klose) the goals we''ve conceded have been down to dreadful defending rather than quality attacking.

I would suggest either a new defensive coach (if we already have one?) and a sports physcologist!

A lot of the problems early on were coming down the left with Olsson being left 2 on 1. Brady was awful again. It probly should have been him replaced but I guess it was experience over youth. Killer goal was 2nd &that was totally Bassong.

Yes we should have signed a new cb in the summer & undoubably would have if we could have gotrid of Bassong or Turner but read the threads back at the end of the window. Just imagine the reaction if we had signed a cb before a striker.

Could have easily conceded 8 last night. Bassong should never play professional football again and martins not far off that. Chipped balls in behind the slow centre backs is something that should only work at school level. Embarrassing.

I agree the back 4 came under some excess pressure last night, however they are not the sole source of defending, maybe we should ask why they were put under so much pressure.

I''m not saying the back 4 are blameless but defending isn''t the sole responsibility of the defence. I''d rather say the keeper had nothing to do all game than he had a blinder, fire enough shots at him and he will eventually miss one, is that his fault solely or in this example would the defenders should some of the blame?

I could understand that when pressing for goals but at three one up why oh why not just play safe and stay a few yards behind attackers ie defend in depth!

Let’s face it, in the league we have hardly defended well in any games this season. In fact the defence has carried on from where it left off last season.

We are vulnerable and don’t know how to defend, we don’t know who Klose’s best partner is. He’s struggled with the physicality of this league and the bustling centre forwards.

Full backs are great going forward but not sure how much impact this has on the pressure the CB’s and holding midfielder come under.

We don’t defend as a unit. McGovern makes some good save but is weak at other key moment.

Bassong, Bennett and Martin are flawed at this club, no combination of the three has worked. They are stagnated.

Bassong is only here because we can not get rid of him

I am Not a AN fan but he can only play the fit players he has

he had replacements for CB lined up but without shifting players he had no money

To be fair, name two rock solid centre backs we''ve had I the last 30 years? Aside from Andy Linighan, we''ve always had defenders prone to shocking errors every now and then. This defence is no better or worse than what we''ve had over the years.

[quote user="NCFC198"]Let’s face it, in the league we have hardly defended well in any games this season. In fact the defence has carried on from where it left off last season.

We are vulnerable and don’t know how to defend, we don’t know who Klose’s best partner is. He’s struggled with the physicality of this league and the bustling centre forwards.

Full backs are great going forward but not sure how much impact this has on the pressure the CB’s and holding midfielder come under.

We don’t defend as a unit. McGovern makes some good save but is weak at other key moment.

Bassong, Bennett and Martin are flawed at this club, no combination of the three has worked. They are stagnated.[/quote]

Totally agree. Our FBs are good going forward but a bit suspect defensively & are not getting much cover from the widemen ahead of them. Look at last nights first goal, Brady just does not go eith the runner. Jacob is improving but Brady seems to still be in EURO 2016.

I don''t know the answer if Klose is out for any length of time perm any 2 from 4 (Turner is still here) Time for Ruddy to return? Maybe