Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Your Newcastle predictions

Haven''t they had booing at St James'' already this season?Sounds like their crowd is even more fragile than ours is.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zpsf0paejaz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zpsf0paejaz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8G1aKNW284&feature=youtu.be[/quote]
I know not everyone thinks the same, but I really do hold AN in high regard - even when people have been on his back he speaks incredibly well.
I imagine it''s the kind of stuff Lambert was saying, if I could ever understand him.
[/quote]Totally agree - very composed - hope he''s here for some time to come.I''m going for 2-2 tomorrow night - should be an entertaining game

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Agree with Alex on all his comments throughout the thread. This is our relative Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal this season. We should naturally be up for it! I''m going for 2-3[/quote]

Absolutely, this is the game between the team at the top of the table, and in Newcastle many people''s favourites to be champions.  Both sides will know they''re up for a real test, I can''t imagine either manager is complacent about it in the least.

When you say 2-3, is that a win for the away team you''re predicting ?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Almost certainly. [/quote]Does Dorrans deserve to be dropped?[/quote]He hasn''t been bad but we''re far more Solid with Tettey. If he''s ready for a start, he''ll start.Hope Ruddy plays too.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Almost certainly. [/quote]Does Dorrans deserve to be dropped?[/quote]He hasn''t been bad but we''re far more Solid with Tettey. If he''s ready for a start, he''ll start.Hope Ruddy plays too.[/quote]Not so sure I disagree, he was excellent away at Forest. I like Tettey too, but Dorrans has possession of the shirt, and I think it would be harsh leaving him out.Could be with you on Ruddy though, he was excellent in the cup game, and McGovern didn''t convince, for me, on Saturday.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="morty"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Almost certainly. [/quote]Does Dorrans deserve to be dropped?[/quote]He hasn''t been bad but we''re far more Solid with Tettey. If he''s ready for a start, he''ll start.Hope Ruddy plays too.[/quote]Not so sure I disagree, he was excellent away at Forest. I like Tettey too, but Dorrans has possession of the shirt, and I think it would be harsh leaving him out.Could be with you on Ruddy though, he was excellent in the cup game, and McGovern didn''t convince, for me, on Saturday.[/quote]*Agree

I think Tettey and Dorrans will play with Howson wide right again and Brady on the left. I wonder if he''ll give Jacob a rest and play Wes in behind Jerome with Jacob, Naismith, Pritchard and Oliveira as attacking options from the bench.

[quote user="Woodman"]I think Tettey and Dorrans will play with Howson wide right again and Brady on the left. I wonder if he''ll give Jacob a rest and play Wes in behind Jerome with Jacob, Naismith, Pritchard and Oliveira as attacking options from the bench.[/quote]

I think Wes is the most likely player to be rested, maybe with Naismith coming in but personally I''d prefer someone better at keeping possession.

I hope we don''t see Howson wide right.  I think Jacob puts in a decent defensive shift when it''s needed, and at his age he shouldn''t need resting.  I''d rather have a wide player who is comfortable there, not a CM who''s filling in.  Also, having Jacob gives them a lot to worry about, especially on the break when they''re committing bodies forward.

I would go with Dorrans at Howson at CM, with a remit to drop deeper when needed.  I think that gives us plenty of solidity in midfield, and both of them are comfortable attacking when the chance is offered, with the other giving cover.

My only other query is whether Brady is ok to start again on the left, if not we have plenty of alternatives who are natural in that position.

I''ve still not seen McGovern perform worse than Ruddy this season (i.e. I think he''s played better in most games than Ruddy''s current performance level), so I think he deserves to be dropped.

a win(as long as the players stay in formation and not go running around the pitch following the play)

I think, and hope, it will be an unchanged team.

I do rate Tettey but he does have a tendency to get out of position at key times, so as long as Dorrans stays fit I would start him ahead at the moment.

I think we can beat Newcastle with a good flowing game, but I am still very concerned about the defence. Just like last season. The 6-2 flattered them from memory- didn''t we have 7 shots on target to their 6 but they scored all of them or something like that as our CBs went AWOL? Our inability to keep clean sheets against Wigan and also Burton does not bode well. This is a very significant step up.

So I think we CAN win but I don''t think we WILl win. I just think they will have the edge because of our defensive frailty so I am going 3-2.

Again, it sends out totally the wrong message changing players that are earning their place in the team. Do the business, you keep your spot.

(But that said, I''d be quite happy if AN sent our cup side out tonight with Saturday''s 11 working towards Wolves!)

For me Shelvey could be the danger man, we could do with getting in his face to unsettle him, give him time on the ball and suspect he will hurt us.

Just watched the NUFC Fans TV and they are very worried about Jacob Murphy''s threat and say the left back is Dummet is great going forward so interesting down our right flank.

Possible that they may have to play a make shift right back - which may suit Olsson and Brady.

I''ll go for a 1-1 then bet Wolves.

If it''s the same formation and team that started in the last two matches we''ll win by the odd goal -- when I say odd goal I don''t mean in off the corner flag or some such.

For me, the ''don''t change a winning team'' mantra is outdated and heralds from an era when teams all played 4-4-2.

Pep, Jose, Wenger, Sir Alex are/were all partial to changing a winning team to react to a different oppositions and different expectations. Going from Burton at home to Newcastle away is about as big a shift in quality as you will find in this league and the team/tactics need to reflect that.

Also, with Tettey back you''d want to see him coming into the team to help deal with the 3 strong central midfielders Newcastle will deploy. Diame v Dorrans might be a little too one sided for my liking.

Will be a tough game and I''d happily take a draw, although feel Newcastle might just shade this one. 2-1 or 1-0.

I didn''t say they were the worst side, but they probably have the least quality across all their players. They are however an effective team playing better than the sum of their parts.

The point still stands that Burton at home is very, very different to Newcastle away. In playing style, quality of individuals and expectations.

Norwich wouldn''t have been able to play on the counter against Burton where as it will probably be the most effective tactic against Newcastle tonight.