Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Your Newcastle predictions

Newcastle have ripped into us on previous occasions - and they have plenty of ability to do the same again this time. It''ll be interesting to see how we handle it; we have confidence & momentum - and providing Jacob or Josh play, enough pace to concern them. A loss would not be a disaster, a draw would be commendable & all 3 points from St James'' Park would demonstrate serious capability of promotion.

I''ll plump for 1-1.

My bets tonight ( I have had decent results recently)1-2Murphy anytime scorerNewcastle winning at half time, Norwich winning at full time.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]For me, the ''don''t change a winning team'' mantra is outdated and heralds from an era when teams all played 4-4-2.

Pep, Jose, Wenger, Sir Alex are/were all partial to changing a winning team to react to a different oppositions and different expectations. Going from Burton at home to Newcastle away is about as big a shift in quality as you will find in this league and the team/tactics need to reflect that.

Also, with Tettey back you''d want to see him coming into the team to help deal with the 3 strong central midfielders Newcastle will deploy. Diame v Dorrans might be a little too one sided for my liking.

Will be a tough game and I''d happily take a draw, although feel Newcastle might just shade this one. 2-1 or 1-0.[/quote]I hear you, but I don''t think Neil is prepared to change the 4-2-3-1, which thus far, has been the formation for every game this season - and very successful it''s proved to be [Y] However, because our strongest area is midfield and Newcastle is our sternest opposition yet, I''d personally start with a 4-5-1 this evening, which is a formation better equipped to counter Newcastle''s likely 4-4-1-1 and pace down the flanks.

AN tends to go with the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-1-4-1.

I think tonight might be the latter. Tettey sitting in front on the midfield with Dorrans and Howson in front. Jacob right wing and Brady on the left.

The big decisions are whether to drop Wes, Brady or Jacob and how to accommodate that. He could move Wes left wing and drop Brady or play Howson on the right wing and drop Jacob - these are both systems he''s used before.

After the Birmingham game AN said he generally liked to make things narrower and more compact away from home, which does suggest Tettey, Howson and Dorrans all playing. Newcastle love to attack down their right wing - Anita or Yedlin overlap Ritchie who likes to come inside and create overloads on the left back - AN could be brave and attack the space behind the RB or be more cautious and ask who ever is on the left wing to sit deeper and restrict the space. Who ever wins the battle on that side of the pitch stand a good chance of winning the game.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]AN tends to go with the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-1-4-1.

I think tonight might be the latter. Tettey sitting in front on the midfield with Dorrans and Howson in front. Jacob right wing and Brady on the left.

The big decisions are whether to drop Wes, Brady or Jacob and how to accommodate that. He could move Wes left wing and drop Brady or play Howson on the right wing and drop Jacob - these are both systems he''s used before.

After the Birmingham game AN said he generally liked to make things narrower and more compact away from home, which does suggest Tettey, Howson and Dorrans all playing. Newcastle love to attack down their right wing - Anita or Yedlin overlap Ritchie who likes to come inside and create overloads on the left back - AN could be brave and attack the space behind the RB or be more cautious and ask who ever is on the left wing to sit deeper and restrict the space. Who ever wins the battle on that side of the pitch stand a good chance of winning the game.[/quote]I''m pretty certain Neil has never fielded a 4-1-4-1, Bethnal.The 4-5-1 I''d put out is as follows:Norwich City 4-5-1 football formation

[quote user="tired"]Is that a triple pivot in central midfield?[/quote]OH, HA HA  - FU*CKEN'' - HA!!

1-1 and would be happy with that. Anything better and I would seriously start to believe. This is an acid test tonight.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Does anyone know if the game being televised at all?

Or streamed..?[/quote]I''ve checked and it''s not on any satellite channels or streaming sites.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Newcastle love to attack down their right wing - Anita or Yedlin overlap Ritchie who likes to come inside and create overloads on the left back - AN could be brave and attack the space behind the RB or be more cautious and ask who ever is on the left wing to sit deeper and restrict the space. Who ever wins the battle on that side of the pitch stand a good chance of winning the game.[/quote]This is partly why I suggested Dorrans out on the left to help Olsson.  Tettey and Thompson in the middle, with Howson on the right to move forwards  when possible.  Two banks of four.  It may not be pretty, but it could be very effective. This is a one off type of game imo - just going with the same or similar line up to recent matches may not be sensible.

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]AN tends to go with the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-1-4-1.

After the Birmingham game AN said he generally liked to make things narrower and more compact away from home, which does suggest Tettey, Howson and Dorrans all playing. Newcastle love to attack down their right wing - Anita or Yedlin overlap Ritchie who likes to come inside and create overloads on the left back - AN could be brave and attack the space behind the RB or be more cautious and ask who ever is on the left wing to sit deeper and restrict the space. Who ever wins the battle on that side of the pitch stand a good chance of winning the game.[/quote]I''m pretty certain Neil has never fielded a 4-1-4-1, Bethnal.The 4-5-1 I''d put out is as follows:Norwich City 4-5-1 football formation[/quote]

That looks a strong away team Jools and could work nicely, looks strong enough to defend but quick enough to strike!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Did we learn from last season''s visit up there?   Try and match them playing like we usually do will likely result in a goal fest, which we will more than probably come out on the wrong side of - as last time. [/quote]

Well did we?  Last time Alex was positive and made a defensive midfield sub for an attacking one.  This time he did the opposite. Same effect.  Luck or just the way we play that we will always give the other team a chance?   Last season it cost us the division. This time it won''t because there will only be one or two teams capable of doing that to us.   Hopefully still good enough, but boy was that a roller coaster again.

No, but maybe, just maybe it has the same effect on Neil where he doesn''t turn to that decision again

Last season he went too attacking too soon, tonight too defensive too soon

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]No, but maybe, just maybe it has the same effect on Neil where he doesn''t turn to that decision again

Last season he went too attacking too soon, tonight too defensive too soon[/quote]Makes you wonder why he didn''t just bring Thompson on for fresh legs in midfield.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Did we learn from last season''s visit up there?   Try and match them playing like we usually do will likely result in a goal fest, which we will more than probably come out on the wrong side of - as last time. [/quote]

Well, I''m not happy I was right, but we played like we usually do and could have been several goals down by 30 minutes.  We then did ok, but then failed again at the end.  Would much preferred a more defensive and solid line up and a tight performance to give us confidence going into the next game.  We may be good going forwards, but surely we played into their hands, yet again.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Did we learn from last season''s visit up there?   Try and match them playing like we usually do will likely result in a goal fest, which we will more than probably come out on the wrong side of - as last time. [/quote]

Well, I''m not happy I was right, but we played like we usually do and could have been several goals down by 30 minutes.  We then did ok, but then failed again at the end.  Would much preferred a more defensive and solid line up and a tight performance to give us confidence going into the next game.  We may be good going forwards, but surely we played into their hands, yet again.

[/quote]
Oh my god.
You weren''t right? We did change the way we play AND the personnel. No Hoolahan, only one out and out winger, to try and solidify things. Full backs were more contained.
If anything, it was us changing our style of play that caused the problem - sat back with 2 straight lines and they came onto us. 

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Don''t take the bait Hogey[;)][/quote]
I know I know....
[/quote]Not unless you have the time to debate "Well actually if you think about it, I was right *strokes beard*" for ten pages, get frustrated, call him a bell, then be branded a bully.[;)]